D&D 5E How many short rests per long rest?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Real simple question:

How many short rests can you benefit from before you require a long rest?

I know the encounter guideline suggests two short rests per long rest during the "adventuring day", and I think our DM decided that was the actual rule; but I've been reading through the books and can't find any other reference to it.

So, I am asking in case I have missed something... thanks!

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I don't think you've missed anything. The PHB doesn't mention a maximum number of Short Rests per day, and while there's an optional rule in Xanathar's to require one Long Rest per day (or face long-term exhaustion), there's nothing else to cap the number of Short Rests you take. I guess if you go with that optional rule, you can't take more than 16 Short Rests in a day, but that's getting into SillyLand.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
You can take as many short rests as you like, circumstances allowing. If you don’t take at least one long rest every 24 hours you risk accruing exhaustion due to sleep deprivation. Some folks might rule that 8 short rests taken sequentially constitute a long rest, or that short rests can’t be taken sequentially, but neither restriction is present in RAW.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
You can benefit from an unlimited number of short rests without having to take a long rest as far as I understand. Nothing about taking short rests then requires you to take a long rest. Maybe I’m missing something.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
As others have already noted, you aren't missing anything.

BUT (I like big buts and I cannot lie) the game is balanced on the 2:1 short rest to long rest ratio. AFAICT, any tinkering etc. should take that into account.
LOL, me too. ;)

Seriously, that might be why our DM just told us all two short rests per long rest was the limit. It has worked fine for our game, it was just something I was looking to see if that was "official" or a guideline. And, of course, it seems guideline was the answer (which is fine...).

Uller

Adventurer
I limit it to 3, but...(small but...sorry)

I don't have them really require any time...if we have come out of initiative and the party is going to do some non-strenuous activity like loot the room or search for secret doors, PCs that want to heal or recharge short rest powers can.

Also healing during short rests isn't as much if a thing in my game. We allow hitdice to be used in conjunction with magical healing so PCs mostly us their HD during combat or right after when using a PoH or getting healed by a caster.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases