???how Many Wands At One Time???

telepox

First Post
One of my player's characters, a wizard, has plans on attaching numerous wands to some form of guantlet apparatus on each hand, enabling him to pick what wand he wants to use each round. Does this seam reasonable or within the bounds of game rules? Is there a ruling on this?

DarkJester

First Post
I would probly let him have 2 a hand without it interfering with his spellcasting, and more and you would start geting spell failure chances for spells with somantic components.

If I were the mage I wouldn't like the idea of puting all my valuable wands out in the open all the time ....so easy to break them.

Mahali

Explorer
There is a bracer that stores 3 wands (uses one charge putting it in) and you can use any of the 3. Don't remember the name and I think it costs 18k. Was expensive enough to seem pretty silly in a normal game.

Henrix

Explorer
There is such an item in Dragon, oh, #291? The gnome issue, anyways.
It is a wondrous item, takes up the bracers slot, and it costs one charge of each wand each time they are loaded in it. I think it can hold three wands. You caould have one on each arm.
You can still only use one wand at a time, of course.

I think it is a reasonable item. not too overpowered, especially as the spellcaster cannot use bracers with it (so no Bracers of Armour).

telepox

First Post
thanx for your replies

I don't have Dragon 291, but I will probably go with the guantlets that hold three each, expending one charge to mount the wands each, and costing about 18g's.

Clear Dragon

First Post
What about two wands (or more) created to have the same activation word. Can one activate both simultaneously? Extrapolate it further and one could wind up with a bundle of many wands of fireball fired of the shoulder!

Are there any rules for multiple wands(or any magic item) using the same command, i could see problems if a mischevious wizard sold a PC a couple of items which had the same command word. Example, activating the wand of magic missle only to have a everflowing flask activate in his backpack, damaging all the important papers he was carrying..

kreynolds

First Post
Clear Dragon said:
What about two wands (or more) created to have the same activation word. Can one activate both simultaneously? Extrapolate it further and one could wind up with a bundle of many wands of fireball fired of the shoulder!

Somebody's been watching way too much Predator and Rambo. :D

Yeah, the limit on one command word item per turn.

This has always struck me as one of the more illogical rules. It's great when all the command words are different, but if you make 6 wands with the *same* (exactly) command word, you *should* be able to use them all at once.

The only problem is you *have* to use them all at once, carrying two, and having the rest in your backpack may be the world's worst idea ever :)

However, by the letter of the rules 10 wand fireball armageddon is illegal :(

CullAfulMoshuN

First Post
Maybe it would be possible to use multiple command activated items that are being held or worn appropriately (I assume that you cannot trigger someone elses items while they are wearing them just because you know the correct command word), however, using a spell trigger item like a wand requires concentration and understanding, not simply knowledge of the correct word to say.

That is what makes the bracer mentioned above useful, as it treats the wands as though they are being held directly by the character and not merely on your person. Otherwise you would need to use a move equivalent action to retrieve each or at best have one in each hand. Due to the effort and intent required to use a wand however, only one can be used at a time even if the character has one in each hand both with the same command words. That might make for a good feat however:

Dual Activation [Special]
Allows a character to use multiple spell trigger items simultaneously.
Prerequisite: Int 13+, Spell casting ability.
Benefit: Each time this feat it taken it allows for one additional spell trigger item to be used simultaneously, provided the character has the means or limbs to hold them all appropriately. This feat does not grant ability to use a spell trigger item not otherwise usable by the character.
Normal: Only one spell trigger item may be used at a time, as a standard action, reguardless of how many can be appropriately held by a character.

Remove ads