How many with a disease can a cleric treat?

MarauderX

Explorer
Say a cleric is on board a ship with a diseased crew. How many of the crew can the cleric treat aboard the ship (replacing the endurance check with a heal check)?

fuzzlewump

First Post
Assuming this isn't addressed, here would be my house rule:

If the same disease is effecting everyone, check divided by 2 (round down) determines how many you can treat. To spread yourself thinner, divide the result by 1, and after the division(lack of division), subtract 5 from the result to determine the effectiveness of your healing.

If everyone has a different disease (hospital situation), and thus different treatments for each person, divide your check by 5, and to spread thinner divide by 2 then subtract by 5, the same way.

CableRouter

First Post
Say a cleric is on board a ship with a diseased crew. How many of the crew can the cleric treat aboard the ship (replacing the endurance check with a heal check)?

DM's call, but I'd say 1/2 an hour per patient during the extended rest, letting one healer treat 12 people at the same time.

Chimerasame

First Post
I'd say it also depends on whether you're getting help (and whether the help is skilled.) A quickly-drafted assistant who's reasonably healthy but has no other knowledge of medicine can at least follow simple instructions, "apply pressure here! let me know if this one has another spasm!" etc, and might add 50% or so to the number of patients who can be treated during one extended rest. A trained nurse/medic who knows those sorts of things already might add 100%.

MarauderX

Explorer
The answer is Skill Challenge

I'm going to go with this one.

Skill Challenge over an extended rest (healer is not resting during this time). Can only be performed with the same patients once per day.
Required skills: Heal
Related skills: Endurance (gives +2 to check; can only be given to one check)

Complexity: 1 for two patients; 2 for three to six patients; 3 for seven to twelve patients; 4 for thirteen to twenty-four; 5 for twenty five to fifty.

Heal & Endurance DC = disease level

Another character can aid with a successful heal check: +2

Success: the patients shift one slot to the left on the disease chart.
Failure: If the healer had half or more successes upon failure the patients' conditions remain the same. If the healer fails before reaching half successes the patients' conditions worsens by one slot to the right.

Last edited:

DracoSuave

First Post
Not to mention, it allows non-healie characters to apply other skills to help out.

Streetwise/Nature to find hard-to-find medicines.
Athletics to swiftly travel to nearby villiages for supplies/row above Streetwise/Nature guy to hard-to-find medicines
Endurance for orderlies to prevent contracting the illness and to keep the treatment and triage going

Remove ads