• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

how much can i blow with 300g of gun powder?

Warren Okuma

First Post
dougmander said:
Gunpowder is a low explosive, without the concussive effects of high explosives.

In my own Northern Crown rules, a 5-lb. keg (over 2000 grams) of gunpowder does 5d6 damage on a direct hit, 3d6 within 5 feet, and 1 d6 within 10 feet. A grenade (2 lbs, or less than 1000 grams) does 3d6 on a direct hit, 1d6 within 5 feet. I would rule that 300 grams would do no more than 1d6 on a direct hit.
Brown Bess (A musket) needed 85 grains to propel a one ounce musket ball...

That's 4630 grains for 300 grams.

So, you can fire 54 times with a brown bess... Under the right conditions it should do more than 1D6 damage. But if the conditions are wrong 1D6 seems about right.

Celebrim

Legend
With the proper construction you can make a really nice pipe bomb with that. But my suspicion is that most often, without some experience, you'd make something that just fizzles.

In any event, even a nice pipe bomb isn't going to make an explosion which is impressive in D&D terms (due to the whole hit points issue) and the amount of gunpowder you are talking about really isn't all that much.

I'd say 1d6 damage with a 5' 'range increment' and say 3 range increments (close, medium, long). Reflex save (DC 11) for half damage, +2 bonus to save per range increment beyond close. Remember to take into account cover - including someone being behind someone else.

Remove ads