How much can you tell about a readied action?

Barcode

First Post
Can an observer tell if an archer has readied an action to "shoot the caster if he tries to cast a spell"?

How about if a bard readies a silence spell for the same condition? Can one tell if he is readying a spell? Can one spellcraft it to try to determine what is being readied?

How about counterspelling? Is it obvious that a mage is prepared to counterspell you? If not, is there at least a Spot/Sense Motive check allowed?

Can the charger tell if a spear has been readied against a charge?

Just mulling the possibilities...

-B-

Thanee

First Post
I'd say it's only really obvious, that the person readies (or delays), and maybe the general type of action being readied (attack (melee/ranged), spell, etc), but definitely no specifics (like the particular spell being prepared or the target, unless it's obvious).

Bye
Thanee

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Barcode said:
Can an observer tell if an archer has readied an action to "shoot the caster if he tries to cast a spell"?

How about if a bard readies a silence spell for the same condition? Can one tell if he is readying a spell? Can one spellcraft it to try to determine what is being readied?

How about counterspelling? Is it obvious that a mage is prepared to counterspell you? If not, is there at least a Spot/Sense Motive check allowed?

Just mulling the possibilities...

-B-
I usually just tell the players "he braces himself and is watching you intently"....

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Barcode said:

I think a set spear is probably fairly obvious. (See The Thirteenth Warrior: "Put your foot on it! And stand!")

However, setting a spear requires the Ready action. The Ready action is a standard action. The Ready action allows you to Ready a standard action.

So don't use the Ready action to set your spear against a charge. Use the Ready action to Ready a Ready action to set your spear against a charge.

That way, your spear isn't set until the trigger occurs, rather than being set from your turn. (See Braveheart: "Hold... hooo-old... now!")

-Hyp.

dvvega

Explorer
IMC it varies as to the information you gain.

I think that readying a spell would involve preparing your components ahead of time and waiting for the right moment to wiggle your fingers. Spellcasters may make a Spellcraft roll to take a guess at the spell, however with a -4 penalty standard because you're not actually wiggling yet.

I allow a Spot check to notice that the fighter has readied and looking at the Wizard, watching his every move.

And so forth. It doesn't have to be "your opponent readies" and let the group go in blind. Seasoned adventurers should be able to notice the tell-tale signs.

On the flip side, my villains can do the same thing. The main guy can do it whenever he wishes, the lower-ranked guys do it based on Intelligence.

Li Shenron

Legend
There are my own opinions, with which I agree:

Barcode said:

As a rule of thumb, let the observer know which is the action readied (an attack with the bow, the casting of a spell, the drawing of a weapon...) but not which is the trigger.

You may vary this information depending on how you think the readying character would look like: an archer could be aiming and keeping the bow stretched (or however it says...), a caster concentrating and waving his hand in the air, a cleric touching his symbol. I think you can, depending on the circumstances, give more or less clue about the readied action, to have some variability.
A spell such as Detect Thoughts may tell you also the trigger that the readying character is having in mind.

Barcode said:

I would not allow Spellcraft in any case until the character has effectively started casting. Once he lets the spell go, you can identify it for counter or dispel. Incidentally, if he is readying to counterspell, not even HE knows which spell he is going to cast yet.

Barcode said:

More complicated. I would say that you'll know that the caster is readying a "cast a spell" action, but you may not know if he is readying a counterspell or a normal spell. This may be my personal interpretation, but I don't think "counterspell" is a different action.

Barcode said:

I really don't know how a spear should be positioned against a charge, if it would look different than for example readying to strike as soon as the opponent comes within reach. Probably a rules lawyer would say that if you want to get the double damage you must specifically ready it "against a charge" in advance.

Sejs

First Post
Things an observer can tell about someone else's readied action:

-That they appear to be waiting for something. They're tensed up and ready to spring into action.

-The general area where they're looking (say, a doorway), or what/who they're looking at (the mage, a candle, or the cluster of people over by the south wall).

- What they have in their hands. A sword? A spear? A bow with a nocked arrow? A ceramic flask? Nothing, but one hand is hovering over one of their belt pouches?

Beyond that you've pretty much just got to guess what they're up to. Unless you can read their mind with Detect Thoughts or the like. As for spellcraft and readied actions: until the person actually begins to cast his spell when his readied action is triggered ... he hasn't cast anything. So spellcraft can't identify what he's going to do until he's in the process of doing it.

Counterspelling is alot like an old Wild West gunfight. Just instead of holsters, the two guys are fingering the flap of their spell component pouches before one of 'em draws.

Remove ads