How much do you care about "balanced" dice?

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
Not nearly as much as this cat.

Most-dice-balanced-on-a-cats-paw_edited-850x567.jpg

Zhaleskra

Adventurer
[MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION] I would never destroy a die that has been rolling poorly for me, though I do "ground" dice that continue to fail me sometimes. Even though the grounding period may be over, some still haven't hit a table, if only because I'm not playing in person as much.

jasper

Rotten DM
Well, right, you can buy dice from where ever you choose. But you can not use just any dice at my table. This was actually pushed by my players. We decided that we would all use dice that any of our aging eyes could see from across the table. We are clear about our table rules before a new player joins. I've not yet had someone decide not to play with us because of this rule. On the other hand we've been playing together for five years now. There isn't much churn.
The year is 2036. 5E is still alive. The crime scene is MnBlockhead home. A dead body is being hauled out of the house on a gurney.
Cop, " It is murder I tell you Joe. The victim was stabbed with a large triangle object about a foot or so wide"
Morrus, "It was an accident. Hey trip over his die, you..."
Cop raising his voice, "You mean he die by tripping on something?"
Morrus, "No you non gamer bobby! He tripped over that there d20?"
Cop, "Are you talking about this 3 foot strange looking medicine ball?"

jasper

Rotten DM
[MENTION=6704184]doctorbadwolf[/MENTION] Well, yes, with age reading dice from afar can be a challenge. But I think I've found the answer:

View attachment 105953
From the Guardian
Picture of the murderess holds her deadly weapon. The murderess had just married Mr. Mnblockhead. The May December romance is not usual but the wife was upset to find out the victim's gold pieces were just a product of his imagination.

jasper

Rotten DM
I love the look of most metal dice as they have a high contrast but hate the sound of them hitting the table. And dislike the feel of them too. I love it when players have high contrasting nonmetal dice, especially if I can see if across the table. Those fancy design dice are trash. As long as the player rotate through a few dice a session, I willing to accept the occasional bias die.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
The year is 2036. 5E is still alive. The crime scene is MnBlockhead home. A dead body is being hauled out of the house on a gurney.
Cop, " It is murder I tell you Joe. The victim was stabbed with a large triangle object about a foot or so wide"
Morrus, "It was an accident. Hey trip over his die, you..."
Cop raising his voice, "You mean he die by tripping on something?"
Morrus, "No you non gamer bobby! He tripped over that there d20?"
Cop, "Are you talking about this 3 foot strange looking medicine ball?"

Camera pans over to the large d20 and zooms in. The number "1" is at the top. Fades out.

Cut scene.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I love the look of most metal dice as they have a high contrast but hate the sound of them hitting the table. And dislike the feel of them too. I love it when players have high contrasting nonmetal dice, especially if I can see if across the table. Those fancy design dice are trash. As long as the player rotate through a few dice a session, I willing to accept the occasional bias die.

I love machined aluminum dice. My favorite are Gravity Dice. I like the crisp edge, legible numbers, that they are cool to the touch, and the bit of extra weight. Aluminum dice are not that much heavier. I also like how they come to a stop sooner. You don't have to chase them across the table and they are less likely to roll onto a floor. This is likely more to do with crisp edges than the weight of the metal. Game Science plastic dice are good in this regard as well.

As for noise, they are really not much louder. I just tested on three survaces. A wood table, a plastic buffet table, and glass. The metal d20 is a bit louder, but not by much. The difference is most noticeable on glass and hardly noticeable on plastic.

I've never had anyone complain about my dice being noisy, if I did, I'd just pack a felt lined dice tray.

aco175

Legend
I remember placing the d20 so the 20 was on top every night. This way gravity would eventually favor rolling 20s. I tried this in middle school after I learned that the glass in some of the old cathedrals needed to be flipped over since it 'flowed' over time and was thinner at the top.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases