How much does a backpack hold?

Danzauker

Adventurer
I was a little surprised when a friend told me that the 3.5 PH had no indication on the maximum capacity of a backpack.

Well, I had to admit that he was right, or, at least, I have not been able to find it anywhere in the SRD (don't have the actual book with me right now) except a general note saying that "backpacks for small creatures hold half as much".

Does anyone know whether this is a mistake and where to get the correct figures?

Thx

Alduk

First Post
The table "Containers and Carriers" really seems to be missing in the SRD... which makes no sense. I can only assume it was an editing mistake.

Anyway, a normal backpack holds 1 cu. ft.

Alduk

First Post
No, I meant a normal as in a "Medium" (human-sized) backpack. That is the official rule from the book, I don't have the slightest idea whether this holds true IRL. :)

Danzauker

Adventurer
Just another little question before I can tell my friend the official answer :)

Is this from the 3.0 book or the 3.5? Has it been changed?

Thank you very much for your answers :)

Alduk

First Post
Actually it must the same in both, this isn't the kind of thing that would be rev... WHAT?!? The table was removed from the 3.5 PHB too? What gives??

The answer I gave you was from the 3.0 PHB I had in hand... just as I procceeded to check the 3.5 edition to make sure the answer was correct, I came to the shocking discovery above. Why would they do that? To save space, maybe?

Anyway, in case I am just blinded by sleep and someone else manages to find that info in 3.5, please correct me.

shilsen

Adventurer
Alduk said:
Actually it must the same in both, this isn't the kind of thing that would be rev... WHAT?!? The table was removed from the 3.5 PHB too? What gives??

The answer I gave you was from the 3.0 PHB I had in hand... just as I procceeded to check the 3.5 edition to make sure the answer was correct, I came to the shocking discovery above. Why would they do that? To save space, maybe?

Anyway, in case I am just blinded by sleep and someone else manages to find that info in 3.5, please correct me.
No, you are correct. The carrying capacities of containers were erroneously excluded from the 3.5 PHB. Just use the 3.0 versions.

domino

First Post
3catcircus said:
So...

Is there a handy-dandy way to convert cubic feet into a rough estimate of dry weight? (i.e. assume 1 cu. ft. = 10 lbs?)
One cubic foot of iron is a whole lot more than one cubic foot of rations.

So, no.

Remove ads