D&D 5E How much for a Wand of Sleep?

hopeless

Adventurer
3.0 version would have been 1x1x750 or 750 gp for a wand with 50 charges as I recall so would cost then 375gp and 30xp.

I don't have the 5e books handy, but is this wand one of those you can use so many times and then wait for the next day to recharge it?

I know some might turn into its opposite on a slight chance if reduced to 0 charges.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Yeah, it's strange when the designers stubbornly stick to their guns with a decision when there's a lot of need/desire for change. Obviously we don't all agree on what those needs are, but in this case... anyone who didn't want the buying and selling of items could easily not use it. The downtime rules (spread across two books work, but they are not very clear on exactly how they work without a lot of head-scratching, IMO.

Its especially obnoxious in this case because they

• A: have one class with a gold consuming class ability
  • B Have a wide range of spells with hardcoded gp component value
  • C Insist on providing pricing numbers.
  • D Declare "magic items are optional" seemingly without understanding or at east not accepting the important role they played in past editions as even rising to the level of "valid fun"
  • E Design the math for everything to be balanced against "but what of the gm decides there are no magic items.[think of the fighter]" without much consideration for how magic items change things or seeming to even realize that magic items affect different classes and archetypes different in objectively tangible levels
C makes a hash of everything else as is. Providing A & B the WBL they need on some level would be admitting that coding so strictly in support of D&E were quixotic at best. Providing a WBL that supports E would be admitting that wotc's own guidance in the matter up till now is reprehensible. Doing either would reveal how problematic streamlining everything in support of D while saying "but you can homebrew stuff" was when the system is setup to fight any attempts to change that. The baby step of a babystep optional rules & caster focused magic items in tcoe made it pretty clear that wotc's not ready to make the changes needed to make a WBL chart without magnifying the consequences of ill considered decisions made in 5e itself. They could maybe fix A&B with an alternate currency like magic stones or something, but that runs into trouble because the spell component costs are largely a holdover from past editions with things like WBL & even rules for pricing scrolls/spellbook access as an almost mundane activity.

Shiroiken

Legend
Regardless of the intentions in 5e, there's no way something like that wouldn't be bought and sold, so guidelines would really be helpful.
Part of the issue is the fact that it can break the economy, which is already pretty questionable in D&D to begin with. I believe Eberron has done a good job of making it work, but I'm not informed enough to know for certain.

I normally use a bartering system, where players can use downtime to trade item with NPCs who have other items. This allows players to get rid of unused items for things they might use. Of course the barter isn't in their favor (according to the DMG), usually downgrading a rarity or trading a permanent item to a couple of consumables. Still works out amazingly well, since the players can either ask for something specific or just see what they can get.

Eis

Explorer
I lie in bed and think of her

sometimes I even weep

then I dream of her behind the wand of sleep

(with apologies to The Smithereens, RIP Pat DiNizio)

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
See this thread (there's a link in the first post):

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Wand of Sleep!

LOL! I initially read Wand of Sheep! Imagine: cluttering caves, corridors, paths, roads and bridges with hoards of summoned sheep to foil the movement of foes! 🙃 j/k :)

Ah, ye olde Wand of Flock:

9ozk02-5bK_UGbV0DHggukXSAY0nGPGIXzWZQtqRRJs.jpg

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases