D&D 5E How much Forgotten Realms have you used in your games?

hawkeyefan

Legend
Chult has been our main area.

Anauroch and the City of Shade is a big part of our ongoing campaign.

The Sword Coast has become more prominent, due to Phandalin and other 5E areas of focus.

Cormyr/Dalelands/Sembia/Cormanthor....all of these play a less prominent part, but we do use them.

I'm using the Old Gray Box for my current campaign. We started at 3rd level, and the PCs are all veterans of the (first) Battle of Shadowdale. The Knights of Myth Drannor have returned to adventuring and Elminster is missing, so Lord Mourngrym enlists the heroes in his service, in return for some property (a ruined fortified manor), a retainer, and tax concessions. They started with a troubleshooting mission to reopen a nearby lumber camp and have progressed to dealing with the drow of Azmaer's Folly and Szith Morcane, Banites and Zhentilar in Cormanthor and Voonlar, plus Desertsmouth orcs and goblinoids (and worse) in the ruins of Tethyamar. There are political shenanigans with Zhentil Keep, Cormyr, Daggerdale, the Iron Throne, and a resurgent Lashan (I care not for canon). They're at 13th level now, and Tethyamar/Daggerdale is as far as they've gone from Shadowdale.

The Old Gray Box FR is a really great "points of light" campaign setting, IMHO.

Now, while I said above I don't run in the Realms, I have set two campaigns there in the past. One in Waterdeep (that didn't last long) and another that was a Sembia campaign. The latter included Sembia, some of Cormyr and the Dales, as well as some trips to other locations. But was 90% focused on Sembia.

I have always wanted to set a campaign in Asbravn:
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Asbravn

The hook of the "The Riders in Red Cloaks" goes back to the original Realms boxed set and always struck me as evocative and interesting. But no one has every done anything with it in the intervening twenty-five years.

MechaPilot

Explorer
As little as possible. I don't like FR, but the published adventures are set there and I have little time to port them to my homebrew setting. Currently, I'm running PotA, and I just transitioned the game to my setting by teleporting the entire Dessarin valley onto an island on my world.

thorgrit

Explorer
None. When I first started D&D, my good friend who got me into the game had read every Forgotten Realms novel in existence at that time. The task of running a game in Forgotten Realms with his daunting knowledge of the setting while having little to no knowledge myself was enough to put me off it.

For the next 25 years.

This is partly what's kept me away from running anything in FR as well. Once I was interested in picking up Princes of the Apocalypse to run it for my group, thinking maybe I could cut out the FR stuff. A quick glance at the beginning story hooks had name-drop after name-drop bomb of people and places I guessed were well-known in FR lore. Add to it that the advice to set it elsewhere seemed very short and half-hearted made me worry that untangling it from the Realms would be more work than I was willing to put in. I didn't want to buy it if I wasn't going to run it, and I wasn't going to sit there at my FLGS and pore over the whole thing before buying it.

GCooper

First Post
Just started using FR and really only explored the areas in the LMoP starter adventure... plus some home-brew towns along the way.

I added Waller Town outside the walls of Neverwinter and an abandoned fishing village called Drumpt Cove further along the coast by a mile or 2.

I'm hoping my group get adventurous (excuse the pun) and travel further north or perhaps to Cormyr... let's see...

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
The main DM for our group has set his current campaign in the Sword Coast.
He likes the Forgotten Realms a lot.

The second DM doesn't think much of the Forgotten Realms, and so far his first campaign has been a homebrew inspired apparently by old westerns and Kung-fu films.

empl0de

First Post
For my fist campaign, I did a homebrew and using only the deities from FR.

For my second and third campaigns I run - I did use most of the FR resources, as I do not have as much time any more. However I tend to change things I don't like.

None of my players are exceptionally well versed with FR, so it really isn't an issue for our group.

The benefit is that I can just grab a city, check the already written stuff and add onto that, or remove some stuff I do not like.

Home-brewing is also very fun, though tends to take a little more time - at least for me.

Remove ads