• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How much has world-creation been important to you?

How important is world creation for you personally?

• Extremely. I always run campaigns in a custom world.

Votes: 55 46.2%
  • Quite. I prefer to use my custom world, but sometimes I don't.

Votes: 34 28.6%
  • Somewhat. I usually run the game out of a book, but not always.

Votes: 20 16.8%
  • Not at all. I just run the game out of the main book or a setting book.

Votes: 10 8.4%

Number48

First Post
Regardless of your favorite edition of D&D or how long you've been playing, how important is it for you to create your own world to game in? More than just naming a town, but drawing the borders of countries, maybe making new gods/pantheons, perhaps creating or removing races and changing the fluff of existing races.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
My favourite part of DnD - I ticked Extremely - though I still love published settings and steal from them shamelessly.

Probably THE most inspiring book I have is the World Builder's Guide (from 2e times).

It inspired me to go and create my own versions where I have documents for creating Realms of any size. I love randomness and I have crammed in everything I can from as many sourcebooks as possible. What better way to make use of them than when something on one of my random creation charts directs me to them.

Anyway, a lot of advice on this would be great in 5E.

Khaalis

Adventurer
I've been working on my own campaign world since 2nd Edition D&D. It has seen many revamps and growing pains through various editions and it has always been painful. D&D has never really been a true toolbox game. This is why I fell in love with Fantasy Craft when I found it. Its all about "your game, your way". Unlike D&D which is "their game, their way".

delericho

Legend
In theory, I would really love to run all of my games using only custom adventures in a custom setting. In practice, I just don't have time for that, so I have used pre-gen worlds exclusively for the last several years. Even so, it's always fun to dream up new settings...

I think it is absolutely vital that 5e retain support for DMs creating their own settings. It's okay to have a light default setting, but don't embed the setting so deeply into the rules that using it without becomes problematic - both 3e and 4e (and even PF) get this about right in their rules material.

Number48

First Post
The reason I ask the question is that I feel every edition of D&D has done a poor job of supporting DMs making their own world. Even if a guide comes out, how much use will it be 5 years into the edition? So, if world building is important to the community at large (not just me), I want to lobby for 5E to have world-building support at launch.

The reason I ask the question is that I feel every edition of D&D has done a poor job of supporting DMs making their own world. Even if a guide comes out, how much use will it be 5 years into the edition? So, if world building is important to the community at large (not just me), I want to lobby for 5E to have world-building support at launch.

I felt 2e did a pretty good job in a few ways. First they had several solid settings to use as models. They also had a number of good dragon articles on world building. Plus the campaign cartographer book was excellent (something I woyld love to see them re-issue). The whole blue book line was great for GMs.

Aeolius

Adventurer
I want to lobby for 5E to have world-building support at launch.

Agreed. I mentioned something similar Over Here .

While I tend to use the World of Greyhawk as a campaign setting, I set my adventures in out of the way locales. Since 1998, my games have been set underwater, which may as well be an entirely new world given the lack of support (save for supplements like Stormwrack, The Deep, and now Cerulean Seas).

Ahnehnois

First Post
Creating my own world back in my high school days really got me into the game. I continue to use various recycled elements because I like continuity and I think I set down some good principles.

I really tried to take the core D&D elements (from 3e) and build a world around them, and I use most of the races/classes/etc. with a few major changes. It wasn't the biggest factor, but the radical setting philosophy change did help to dissuade me from 4e.

Getting people to take creative ownership of their game is one of the best and most cost-effective ways of developing a customer base, more so than trying to support multiple settings or throw all your eggs into one kitchen sink. Not everyone is willing or able to do this kind of work, but those who are should definitely be supported and encouraged. Even those who run an existing setting may need help customizing it to their needs.

I hope they support worldbuilding strongly in the DMG, and publish something like the 3e MotP (still one of the best books; a great combination of classic stories and inspiration, tools, and options) early on.

Mallus

Legend
I've been an inveterate world-builder since AD&D 2e.

Here's a question to the OP: what would you consider "good support" for world-building? For me, the best support came from outside the game rules (fiction, film, real history, heck, even some poetry).

Remove ads