• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How much PC die in your campaign in average ?

Red Wyrmling

First Post
Hehe, when I started to master 3ed I actually lost a little control over the demon inside, I had a kill ratio of at least 2 players per session.

It took me at least 3 months to get it under control, now I think I've killed 2 or 3 players in the last 4 months. Not counting those who are resurected.

I keep a very strict policy, stupidity doesn't grants mercy. If one of my players is heroic or inventive I tend to show mercy, and lots of it. If they go around kicking doors in dungeons, splitting up at the same time, people tend to die, get mutilated, crunched or munched. :mad:

The Cardinal

First Post
it depends on the system and the setting - some examples:

dead PCs/10 sessions (5-6 players on average per group):

D&D 3.X homebrew: 2-3

D&D 3.X Dawnforge: 1-2

D&D 3.X Scarred Lands: 1

GURPS Cthulhupunk: 0

GURPS Fantasy (various fantasy homebrews): 0

GURPS Cabal: 0

GURPS Humanx: 1

BESM fantasy homebrew: 0

GURPS Transhuman Space: 0

GURPS Midnight: 1

GURPS Reign of Fire (from a Pyramid article, not the movie!): 4-6

diaglo

Adventurer
i haven't refereed a session of D&D in almost 15 years.

back then we had combat on avg of thrice every 5 sessions. usually lost 1 PC every combat.

JDJarvis

First Post
I'm not to sure how often PCs in my camapign die on a per session basis but I do know out of 9 characters rolled up in the first session 7 are dead.
The death rate for PCs in my campaign from initial roll up is over 66% with most of the deaths occouring for characters of 4th to 6th level.

Not very often, maybe 1 every couple of months. But they flirt with death so much they oughta get a room.

The last couple haven't even been combat deaths, per se. One looked at a basilisk a little too close, and other other touched something she really, really, shouldn't have.

jinx crossbow

First Post
Sorry I didn't kill any PC in amore than 20 sessions.
It's the first time I DMing such a long campaign.

Did I make something wrong? :eek:

Should I kill next Sundax one of the PCs ;)

derelictjay

Explorer
It usually depends on how stupid the players are playing. In one senario the party decides to split up (cringe) and attack a farm house from all sides (cringe). I had seven players in the group at the time, and only 2 walked away and three had to write up new characters, by the by they were 5th level.

But usually one dies every 4 to 5 sessions.

Elrik_DarkFury

First Post
We don't like to die very often.When i DM i usually just drop almost every one bellow 0 and scare the hell out of them.One death every 6-7 sessions is ok.
Our new DM however rolls everything in front of us.The session ended with 2 dead and everyone else (except the lucky sorcerer(3 hp left)) below 0. :D
I tell you!It was great!

Remove ads