D&D 5E How much Upfront?

Eubani

Legend
When homebrewing a class or judging a new class either from WotC or a 3pp how much do you believe should go in the first 1-2 levels? How much should multiclassing be taken into consideration or ignored? This may lead into what is more important identity/flavour or balance. What is your opinion?

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
The way the book classes do it seems about right to me, for the most part. Fighter strikes me as a bit front loaded, while wizard and sorc seem a bit light to start.

If you are going to allow multiclassing, you'd best take it into account.

I think a good class combines flavor and balance. They are different axes, you don't obviously have to compromise on either.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Class identity seems to be solidified at 3rd when you get your subclass, and each class gets a more noticable power bump at 5th. I would keep that progression, both to protect against cherry picking via multiclassing, but also to keep balance with the other classes.

Lanliss

Explorer
Well, cherry picking is alread ya real thing, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. As long as an ability does not harmonize with too many other things to make them all OP it should be fine. After all, even Action Surge gets a pass, despite being a massive power boost.

As far as I can see, the classes Solidify at 2, where you generally get the mechanic that sets your class apart from the others in the book. Then at 3rd you get the abilities that set you apart from the others in your class. I personally consider this Identity to be more important than cherry picking possibilities, as it is what makes a class interesting. IMX, the 3rd level is the point where someone decides "I want to play that class.", and that is an important thing to have.

First, who's the intended audience for the class? If it's something being created for publication, then balance has to be there and concerns over multi-classing appropriateness must be considered.

If it's for my players, then since they aren't min/maxers, it's all about flavor.

Tony Vargas

Legend
When homebrewing a class or judging a new class either from WotC or a 3pp how much do you believe should go in the first 1-2 levels? How much should multiclassing be taken into consideration or ignored? This may lead into what is more important identity/flavour or balance. What is your opinion?
I'd say design the first 2 levels like no one's actually ever going to play them, keeping MCing and dips in mind. Because, really, a PC can blow through each of those level in a day, like, wake up first level, have a standard-issue adventuring day (maybe survive), go to sleep, wake up 2nd level, repeat (surviving didn't seem so hard this time), 3rd level. Start worrying about the class being playable & fun from 3rd through 10th or so, after that, it just needs to look good on paper.

Remove ads