D&D 3E/3.5 how much weaker are wizards(and other casters) in this edition compared to 3.5?

adrian23

First Post
note: broken spells and mechanics(i.e that the writer never thought would be used in a certain way.. or had a text open to interpretation etc) that got fixed do not count.
i know for instance that they have fewer spell slots and the concentration thing... but they instead get rituals and at will cantrips.

obviously this doesn't even things but just how much weaker are they exactly?

ad_hoc

(they/them)
note: broken spells and mechanics(i.e that the writer never thought would be used in a certain way.. or had a text open to interpretation etc) that got fixed do not count.
i know for instance that they have fewer spell slots and the concentration thing... but they instead get rituals and at will cantrips.

obviously this doesn't even things but just how much weaker are they exactly?

I find it best to not try to make comparisons like this.

While both games use D&Disms they are still separate games.

5e is very much unlike 3e. It is much closer to 2e and previous editions.

jasper

Rotten DM
very weaker. They no longer required to eat "wizard Wheaties" for breakfast when young. That why they generally start with 8 str.

By what metric?
Compared to other PC classes? Compared to a specific monster in each edition?

You mention "fewer spell slots". AFAIK Wizards actually have more spell slots in 5e until high levels due to Arcane Recovery more than making up for the extra slots that a high Intelligence would grant.
Plus the rather significant boost of not having to dedicate each slot to a specific spell. You can pick between Fireball and Haste at the point that you need to cast one of them rather than trying to guess what you'll need at the beginning of the day. If you don't have a suitable spell at the right level, you can upcast many lower level ones instead.

Casting a spell no longer provokes attacks of opportunities, and concentration checks are rather easier. You generally have more HP as well.

In short, in order to answer you, we really have to know why you believe casters actually are weaker in this edition.

The whole concentration mechanic and save-every-round spells brings them down to earth in the lower levels. Restrictions - spell ID, etc - chops at them, too. Less intense. I was reading PirateCat's Defenders of Daybreak chronicles (3e-ish) a while ago and the magic meta on top of normal combat was intense. I don't think I miss it.

delericho

Legend
One of the major differences, IMO, is that 5e Wizards can't be assumed to have lots of scrolls and wands easily to hand. The 3e Wizard could very easily craft up a bunch of spell scrolls of utility spells, and thus bypass the Vancian Casting that was the major balancing factor of the class.

5e Wizards don't seem to have anything like the same access to such things, and so are more likely to be limited in their spell slots for the day.

neogod22

Explorer
One of the major differences, IMO, is that 5e Wizards can't be assumed to have lots of scrolls and wands easily to hand. The 3e Wizard could very easily craft up a bunch of spell scrolls of utility spells, and thus bypass the Vancian Casting that was the major balancing factor of the class.

5e Wizards don't seem to have anything like the same access to such things, and so are more likely to be limited in their spell slots for the day.
I actually haven't seen much in the rules for making scrolls, so I would just go with the copying rules if a wizard decided to make scrolls for battle.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Remove ads