D&D 3E/3.5 how much weaker are wizards(and other casters) in this edition compared to 3.5?

Sure, the every round save chances on spells like Hold Person was kind of a drag, but it also meant that my fighter companions wouldn't be taken out of whole combats like they used to, so not a bad trade off, really.

That started in 3.5 actually...

The save every round along with increasing DCs vs not increasing saving throws is the new rounds/level mechanic, with a higher chance to actually have an effect.
Too bad some spells use saving throws as quasi save or suck/die (like phantasmal force or plane shift).
As long as you make sure there is no 5min day, wizard are not overpowered at all. Good? Yes. Versatile? Yes. But not taking all the spotlight.

cthulhu42

Explorer
That started in 3.5 actually...

The save every round along with increasing DCs vs not increasing saving throws is the new rounds/level mechanic, with a higher chance to actually have an effect.
Too bad some spells use saving throws as quasi save or suck/die (like phantasmal force or plane shift).
As long as you make sure there is no 5min day, wizard are not overpowered at all. Good? Yes. Versatile? Yes. But not taking all the spotlight.

I don't remember 3.5 having save every turn spells, but it's been probably ten years since my last 3.5 game, so I'll take your word for it.

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
With regards to other casters:

Bards. Oh lordy did they get a heavy wuff of the buff stuff! Full casters? From 'Yeah ok, nice 5th slot' to 'We salute our Charismatic Full Casting Mind Melting Skill Monkey Overlords'!!

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
Yeah they tweaked the spell from 3.0. 3.5 was the fixed version of 3.0. I saw a Shadow Adept in 3.0 using spells like that where the DCs were creeping into the 30s and 40s. In an edition where saves off class levels were +12.
My opinion is that 3.5 fixed none of the real issues of 3rd edition, it mostly just shuffled things around forcing you to relearn the specifics.

In my opinion, 5E fixed the real issues of 3rd edition.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Zardnaar

Legend
My opinion is that 3.5 fixed none of the real issues of 3rd edition, it mostly just shuffled things around forcing you to relearn the specifics.

In my opinion, 5E fixed the real issues of 3rd edition.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

It fixed a few issues 3.0 had. The 3.5 Druiod was more absurd, but 3.0 HB stuff was quite bonkers, 3.5 required splats (apart from Druid).

Tony Vargas

Legend
how much weaker are wizards(and other casters) in this edition compared to 3.5?
Quite a bit. In the same sense that fission devices are much weaker than fusion bombs. You still wouldn't want to be standing anywhere near one when it went off, and you'd still want to refrain from using one in a conventional conflict.

Seriously, though, it's a mixed bag.

3.5 wizards had more spell slots, but had to prep spells in them, so could end up with no suitable to spell to cast in some circumstance and/or with wasted slots at the end of the day - 5e wizards have fewer slots, but use them spontaneously, so can generally pull out the best prepped spell for the circumstance, and they have cantrips to fall back on when facing minor situations and not wanting to waste a spell.

3.5 spell damage scaled with caster level, but saves DCs scaled with slot levels. 5e spell damage scales with slot level, but save DCs scale with character level.

3.5 concentration could be buffed to the stratosphere, making AoOs for casting, trying to cast while grappled, interruption by readied attacks, and the like trivial, 5e concentration is a hard-to-buff save, but it applies to maintainig only a few spells and there's no AoO for casting or interruption or the like, at all.

One area where 3.5 casters are more clearly ahead is item creation, systematic and readily abuseable in 3.5, entirely in the DM's court in 5e.

Remove ads