• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) How much would you pay..

“Keen” to pay money, no.

Keen to have animated, highly detailed, customized minis? Yes.

And realistic about how the business model would likely work, so willing to suck it up.

Probably there will be some base level that’s part of the VTT subscription, then they’ll charge for all the bells and whistles.
The per mini charge you suggest is absolutely nuts. I feel like customers are too savvy for that to fly though at least. If we're doing the labour and they're just providing a tool it's reasonable to charge for the tool but not to act like they're providing us anything on a per model basis. If WotC starts nickel and diming us like that they can DIAF frankly. Plenty of other games out there with increasingly good VTTs. If they have any sense any such tool will be a value add to the subscription which would serve to make people very positive about it and less likely to consider other games. But every time you nickel and dime a customer like that you potentially lose them. It's just not smart for a basic system like that.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
The per mini charge you suggest is absolutely nuts. I feel like customers are too savvy for that to fly though at least. If we're doing the labour and they're just providing a tool it's reasonable to charge for the tool but not to act like they're providing us anything on a per model basis. If WotC starts nickel and diming us like that they can DIAF frankly. Plenty of other games out there with increasingly good VTTs. If they have any sense any such tool will be a value add to the subscription which would serve to make people very positive about it and less likely to consider other games. But every time you nickel and dime a customer like that you potentially lose them. It's just not smart for a basic system like that.

Maybe. Free would be great. I like that price.

But I just can't summon the moral outrage about it that you seem to feel.

Won't you feel bad if WotC employees actually die in a fire?

dave2008

Legend
…for highly customized, animated digital minis to use on the new VTT?

I'm picturing something that works like HeroForge, but with vastly more detail (because it's not limited by printing technology). I want to be able to Zoom in to see facial expressions, and have lifelike animations for when it's my turn.

I'd happily pay $10 each. I might pay as much as $25, depending on how cool it is.

(And, yes, I'd still rather play in person with dice and figures and Doritos crumbs and all. But if I'm going to play on a VTT I want a really awesome mini.)
Just digital: maybe a $1-$5 at most

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
I know! I think I'm on to something! I am willing to accept PayPal payments from people who don't use digital minis!

Think of all the money saved on software development! I'm thinking it could be spent instead on a private island for immersive LARPing.

beancounter

(I/Me/Mine)
I would pay $10 for a complete one. If they charged you for a base model, and then added costs for shields, armor, staffs, capes, etc., I wouldn't pay for it.

Remove ads