• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) How much would you pay..

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
…for highly customized, animated digital minis to use on the new VTT?

I'm picturing something that works like HeroForge, but with vastly more detail (because it's not limited by printing technology). I want to be able to Zoom in to see facial expressions, and have lifelike animations for when it's my turn.

I'd happily pay $10 each. I might pay as much as $25, depending on how cool it is.

(And, yes, I'd still rather play in person with dice and figures and Doritos crumbs and all. But if I'm going to play on a VTT I want a really awesome mini.)

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I would assume that such features (making your own Minis) would be included with the VTT purchase/subscription fee.

With possible DLC Packs for more options, which would ideally come as part of the books you buy access too.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter

I'm picturing something that works like HeroForge, but with vastly more detail (because it's not limited by printing technology). I want to be able to Zoom in to see facial expressions, and have lifelike animations for when it's my turn.

I'd happily pay $10 each. I might pay as much as $25, depending on how cool it is.

(And, yes, I'd still rather play in person with dice and figures and Doritos crumbs and all. But if I'm going to play on a VTT I want a really awesome mini.)
If it cost 25 I would only pay it for a long running character. if 10 may be for an AP campaign.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter

Zero. Zero dollars.

$10 a month to have unlimited access to at least 3.

Meaning I can change them as much as I want and use them in whichever games I'm in.

Bill Zebub

$10 a month to have unlimited access to at least 3.

Meaning I can change them as much as I want and use them in whichever games I'm in.

Hmm. I think I’d rather pay one time and own it forever. But a subscription is interesting. I’m sure they would much rather sell me one, too.

aco175

Legend
1661046140513.png

Assuming I'm doing all the labour of designing the PC using predetermined options? Zero.

I'm doing work, they're merely providing a tool, and it's not free, I'm paying a subscription. The idea of paying per model or per character is utterly demented.

If I was just giving a description and a skilled artist was using a complex tool, sure, that'd be worth money, except I am a portrait artist and very good with these kind of tools, so personally I'd feel ripped off by being prevented from doing my own labour.

I don't get why you're keen to pay dozens of times what the software you describe would sell for, for a few models.

Bill Zebub

I don't get why you're keen to pay dozens of times what the software you describe would sell for, for a few models.

“Keen” to pay money, no.

Keen to have animated, highly detailed, customized minis? Yes.

And realistic about how the business model would likely work, so willing to suck it up.

Probably there will be some base level that’s part of the VTT subscription, then they’ll charge for all the bells and whistles.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads