• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How often did/do you use modules in oAD&D?

How often did/do your groups use modules when playing first edition AD&D?

• 100% - all the time

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • 90%

Votes: 15 12.6%
  • 80%

Votes: 12 10.1%
  • 70%

Votes: 13 10.9%
  • 60%

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • 50%

Votes: 14 11.8%
  • 40%

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • 30%

Votes: 13 10.9%
  • 20%

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • 10%

Votes: 12 10.1%
  • 0% - we never use(d) modules

Votes: 11 9.2%
  • I never played AD&D, but want to vote so that I don't have to click the "show results" link

Votes: 3 2.5%

RFisher

Explorer
Reading Quas' excellent analysis of the treasure in modules makes me wonder how much modules can be used as a guide for how the game was actually played.

Pick the choice that best fits your experience.

Of course, there's also the fact that many groups didn't use modules verbatim even when they did use them.

Crothian

First Post
Most of the time we used modules so I went with 90%. The other 10% we killed gods and took their stuff. Ah to be ten again!! :D

diaglo

Adventurer
i have a mix.

i convert everything to OD&D(1974)

there was only 1 adventure not needing conversion for me. Supplement II Blackmoor (temple of the frog)

Mark Hope

Adventurer
Looking at my campaign journals, my ratio came out to 37%, so I clicked on 40% to account for a couple of one-offs that weren't part of regular gameplay.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I picked about 20%, but that varied from GM to GM.
Most GM's I played under used a module as the campaign; if we were going to play Against the Giants, we'd make up characters specifically for that. I don't remember ever using any of the major modules like that with existing characters.

One or two GM's would drop in a module now and again. One guy basically used the maps and names and basic plotline, and threw out everything else as it wouldn't fit in his world. One GM used a lot of modules, and he kinda scews the numbers for me; without him in the mix, the likely answer would be 10% or less. And some would take chunks of a module and use it, such as the flying fortress from the DragonLance modules.

Usually we did homebrew adventures.

RFisher

Explorer
My own vote went to 10%. That may even be high. Most of the AD&D modules I have played were played under Gurps, Rolemaster, & Fantasy Hero after I'd "moved on" from AD&D. Even then, there's a lot of the classic modules I've never played.

My classic D&D experience, however, has been nigh 100% modules thus far. Both in my pre-AD&D days & my current nosgalia-filled back-to-basics days. (Though I expect that to change.)

arwink

Clockwork Golem
About 30%. The modules were used when they were there, but we gamed a lot and they were hard to track down.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads