How Often Do You Lose Interest in Pre-Orders/KS By the Time They Arrive?

Retreater

Legend
Maybe it's a sign that I've pre-ordered too much or backed too many Kickstarters, but I'm finding that by the time I receive most of them, I'm not even interested in playing them.
Yesterday, I just got a new expansion to Savage Rifts, a system that I don't expect I'll ever run again. I'm still waiting on the last two books in The Enemy Within campaign for WFRP - again, another campaign that has already come and gone. Once the package comes in, the books will be opened, given a cursory glance, and put on the shelf with the others. Necropolis is sitting on my shelf. The Savage Pathfinder boxed sets too. The Altar Quest Board Game (once I fully painted it), has been put in storage in my attic after maybe two game sessions.
Anybody else have this issue? Do you sell them for pennies on the dollar at the local pawn store/FLGS? Store them until maybe the mood hits or your gaming situation changes? But I'm not finding that I want to interact with the hobby "just to do it" - if I'm not going to run the game, I'm not overly interested in reading it for the sake of reading it.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I've sold a lot of RPG stuff I backed on Kickstarter via Facebook. Usually at a profit (there are people who collect KS exclusive stuff). I don't back Kickstarters anymore, though. I just get too few games to the table these days (and KS doesn't accept PayPal as a payment option) so, instead, I buy stuff after wide release in PDF when the option avails itself to me (some stuff I buy physical + PDF, then sell the physical component).

MGibster

Legend
I don't think I've ever lost interest in anything I've Kickstarted before it arrived. I lost interest in Savage Rifts after I actually ran a campaign though. I ended up selling quite a lot of my Zombicide exclusive Kickstarter content for about $600 for stuff I think I paid $200 for. So that was nice.

R_J_K75

Legend
Not so much that I lose interest more than I forget I even backed them. I got 5E Kobold Press' Tome of Heroes not long ago, looked at for maybe 2 minutes and put it on my bookshelf. So, I guess yeah, I do lose interest by the time they come. I've probably only backed 5-7 ever and I'm definitely going to be more selective going forward. I've lost interest in KS as it takes so long to get your hard copies, and it seems more and more everything is being Kickstarted. I almost had a heart attack when I found out Edge Studios Midnight: Legacy of Darkness for 5E was released without it.

dbm

Savage!
I’ve backed 90 Kickstarters up to now, and about 80%+ have been for RPG related stuff. I would group those into two broad categories - additional support for games I already play often, and new games which I am interested in.

Stuff in the first category is always welcome when it arrives, but I would say most of my speculative backing has been a bit flat. One to two years is far too long to sustain excitement about a new game. I have significantly scaled back my Kickstarter support, now, because of this.

Mezuka

Hero
Every single time, except once.

The exception was a new edition for a superhero skirmish wargame called Pulp City. My friends and I painted miniatures and scenery during the wait. When the book finally arrived we had a blast with full paint crews and terrain!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I sometimes completely forget they're coming. At that point it feels like Christmas. (y)

Yeah, this happens to me, too. It is fun to have a thing show up unexpectedly :)

I have never had the issue of losing interest, but then I don't back Kickstarters for specific use. I back them because I like their concepts in general, and that usually doesn't fade with time.

Remove ads