How often do you play a differently-gendered character when gaming?

How often do you like to play a character of a different gender than yourself?

• 1. I exclusively play characters of different genders than myself.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • 2. I often play characters of different genders than myself.

Votes: 19 19.6%
  • 3. I sometimes play characters of different genders than myself.

Votes: 43 44.3%
  • 4. I rarely play characters of different genders than myself.

Votes: 23 23.7%
  • 5. I never play characters of different genders than myself.

Votes: 11 11.3%

• Poll closed .

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Have to think far back as I’m usually the gm nowdays, but on a quick approximation, I’d say about 1/5 or 1/6 of the characters I’ve played have been different gender than I am. So I voted rarely. There have been times when a cool character idea worked better as female in my opinion, and thus I played a female.

In online roleplaying games I tend to play exclusively characters of the opposite gender. But with table top roleplaying games it is about 50-50.

S'mon

Legend
As player, traditionally about 1/3 the time, but recently my PCs have all been male same as me. Partly I get tired of other players' negative reactions, and/or being ignored by the male GM. Had a couple cool ideas for male PCs recently, too - got out of my Barbarian rut.

(edit: CRPG it's about 50-50).

Khelon Testudo

Cleric of Stronmaus
I normally play males, being male. This is because of suspicious questioning (which might have been legit at the time, 20 years ago) by a fellow player as to why I wanted to play a female. Recently I played a gnoll, and decided that she was female, but didn't care that the hairless monkeys kept mistaking her gender. Except when she dealt with drow: she made sure they knew. (It was an Underdark campaign.)

For decades I have had a house rule that you can only play your own gender. I'm not going to watch a huge bearded ex-Ranger with tattooed knuckles roleplay a halfling girl ever again.

My players are too damn colorful as it.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Mostly my own gender; between a 75/25 to 85/15 split. Part of that is because I rarely game with players willing to plat opposite gender, and in 42 years of gaming, only 3 of my groups have have had female gamers.

And I think that most stories benefit from having more than just male characters.

Mostly my own gender; between a 75/25 to 85/15 split. Part of that is because I rarely game with players willing to plat opposite gender, and in 42 years of gaming, only 3 of my groups have have had female gamers.

And I think that most stories benefit from having more than just male characters.

Interesting; since 1979, nearly half my gamers have been female. My gaming groups have produced at least one marriage and numerous dating hook-ups.

In one group, the game's mostly just an excuse to hang and stab monsters, so we focus on stats not characterization.

In another group, the game's all about seeking drama and conflict and emotional turmoil.

In the first group, I generally just play male, though when I've played a woman no one cared. In the second group, I actively try to go fifty-fifty.

Jaeger

That someone better
lol. For a time I had a gaming group whenever we rolled up characters and I heard, "think I'll play a woman this time" I knew it would be a supermodel lesbian.

LOL, yeah the old lesbian, stripper, ninja trope!

My personal house rule - you only get to be Female plus one of the three.

2 out of 3 or more? I'll just tear up the character sheet.

For decades I have had a house rule that you can only play your own gender. I'm not going to watch a huge bearded ex-Ranger with tattooed knuckles roleplay a halfling girl ever again.

This is a Legit ruling.

My own group is a mix.

One of the female players exclusively plays male characters. The other two always female. of the two male players one will occasionally switch it up, the other exclusively male.

Remove ads