• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How often do you provoke an AoO on purpose?

How often do you provoke an AoO on purpose?

• Never. Why would you?

Votes: 15 13.2%
  • <10% of combats

Votes: 33 28.9%
  • 10%-20% of combats

Votes: 38 33.3%
  • 20%-50% of combats

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • Real Men do not care about AoOs! Please pass the dice and a fresh sheet of paper.

Votes: 7 6.1%

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
I marked the 20-50% of combats, based on the wording which seems to indicate provoking AoOs in order to accomplish something else rather than provoking AoOs in order to provoke AoOs. Here's why, based on character (from a lot of different campaigns, some of whom haven't seen play in over a year):

My high level cleric: doesn't usually provoke AoOs. In the past, he sometimes would in order to drawn an opponent's AoO early so that it couldn't be used to stop his spellcasting or grapple attempt. Generally, however, the only reason he draws AoOs is because his opponent has reach and there's not a good way to avoid doing so.

My 11th level fighter/paladin/cleric/etc mutt. She draws AoOs pretty regularly because she seems to fight a lot of things with reach. She has mobility and a decent armor class to start with so they're not as dangerous to her as they might otherwise be. Next level, she'll start provoking a whole lot more since she will pick up Elusive Target.

My 8th level cleric/church inquisitor stays out of melee so he doesn't count. However, despite having a good concentration score, he often finds that, when in combat, he's better off provoking an AoO that doesn't trigger improved grab or something similar than risking casting on the defensive.

My 9th level fighter/rogue has Elusive Target and very regularly provokes AoOs specifically for the purpose of provoking AoOs and either redirecting them with Elusive Target or getting the free trip attempt from Elusive Target.

My 4th level bastard sword and shield fighter rarely provokes AoOs except when reach makes it unavoidable.

My 3rd level heavy mace and shield fighter is more willing to provoke AoOs in order to bull rush opponents though he will do so without provoking AoOs if the situation makes it possible. With Improved Bull Rush, he has frequently found that generating 2-3 attacks of opportunity from allies (some of whom are more powerful than he is) is worth forgoing his own attack and risking an Attack of opportunity for movement.

RigaMortus2

First Post
Your question is much clearer now, but I still can't answer it, because it is entirely based on the type of character I am playing, and the specific situations that come up during combat.

In a "typical" combat, I would say I rarely provoke an AoO on purpse. Actually, I would go so far as to say I never do (on purpose mind you). By "typical" combat, I mean that the fight is usually going our way, with minimal real danger.

Now if the fight is getting down to the wire, if we are fighting a particularly tough foe, if an ally needs to escape, if I have a hgih AC or good DR or the HP for it, I will definately provoke an AoO on purpose. Couldn't tell ya a percentage, as these combats are not "typical", they may come up once every 3 - 4 sessions or so.

There are some characters I have (like the one mentioned earlier w/ the fire shield) that I provoke an AoO any chance I can get. So I'd say 90% with this type of character in a "typical" combat. Against a foe that hits hard, maybe 20%? I don't care how much damage my fire shield will do to him, if he is dealing more damage, it ain't good...

Ruslanchik

First Post
My current character is a mounted combat focused druid who will willingly take AoOs to cast spells or move into better position. Our cleric also left the group so the druid is now in charge of healing as well. Better to heal an ally in need than sit safely on the sidelines.

However, I often find myself reminding my DM about AoOs availible to the baddies. I'm really big on combat being a challenge and do not want my character to be able to prance around the battlefield willy-nilly. So I'll say "I charge past the grunt to get to the spellcaster. That's going to provoke an AoO, by the way."

Synchronicity

First Post
Just earlier this evening I deliberately provoked multiple attacks of opportunity on separate occasions. I'm playing a Crusader, and it's the first session. I have in two different combats now moved so as to get as many opponents in my threatened area as possible so that they suffer the effects of Iron Guard's Glare (-4 to hit people that aren't me.). I have had DR 5/adamantine, AC 18 and generally 3 or 4 temporary extra hp each time, though. But it's quite refreshing to provoke AoOs so cavalierly - I'm used to playing mages and avoiding them as much as humanly possible. Quite an adjustment!

Last edited:

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I have a cleric with a pretty high AC and a lot of hit points, but a poor concentration score (had to put points into other skills to qualify for a feat and a prestige class). He often deliberately move to provoke an AoO just so that he can cast a spell without having it interrupted.

I have a Dervish with Whirlwind attack, Combat Expertise, Mobility, and Elusive target. Quite often he will choose not to tumble so as to provoke AoO's in the hopes of tripping his foes when they miss him, and then attacking them as he moves past.

I have a front-line sorcerer with a high AC and a high concentration check. He avoids provoking AoO's whenever possible. His hit points are precious and not be be spent freely like some common fighter. :)

Characters that aren't built to survive AoO's tend to avoid them whenever possible (other than some barbarian types), while characters that are built around it tend to provoke them on purpose in order to give other characters tactical flexibility or set up a special combat manuever.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
I marked 10-20%.

It is probably ~20% when I have been playing a melee character lately. I can easily see this going much higher if I had been playing a PC with a particularly high AC or specific feats for AoOs (Mobility, Elusive Target).

Sometimes the Grapple or Trip has a very high tactical payoff for a modest price. Sometimes an AoO from a mook or two gives yields attractive tactical positions that render the enemy tactics less effective. Sometimes the AoO really helps bring more allies in against one dangerous enemy quickly in order to finish him off ASAP -- a very good choice if its abilities tend towards the weird rather than simple damage. Sometimes harassing the spellcaster now is important.

The best recent move I have made was to swing around one end of the battleline, sucking up an AoO from one of the less dangerous meatshields (a Rogue), then made a second Move action to place myself behind the Sorceror (sucking up her pathetic AoO) who was raking the party with Lightning Bolts. That got me out of their kill zone. It forced the Sorceror to decide whether she was the kind of dame to flee and leave her comrades to their fate, or take that 5' Step away from me towards the rest of the party where we setting up our kill zone. I gave up an attack, but I was likely to get a full attack against the Sorceror in the next round.

With a little foresight, it is easy to see that sometimes taking an AoO gives a very good reward for the risk in the long term. These opportunities are not exactly uncommon, but it will happen more often when you have mooks on the battlemat.

The Grackle

First Post
A few sessions ago in WLD I provoked about 6 AoOs in one round so the party's wounded monk could get up from prone and retreat w/o dying. That's the only time I can recall purposely provoking an AoO, but I get hit w/them all the time.

Dracandross

First Post
Christian said:
Against foes without Combat Reflexes (i.e. virtually anybody), it may be useful for a tank or character with Mobility to provoke an AoO in order to make the AoO unavailable against a more vulnerable character later in the round. I had a monk who once helped a cleric who was out of turning attempts and had a pathetic Concentration score Cure the snot out of a nasty undead ... Kind of freaked out the DM.
Me: "I move past and flank it."
DM: "OK. Make your Tumble roll."
Me: "Nah. I don't think I'll tumble today."
DM: (pause) "Oh ... I see what you're trying to do."
Me: "I'm sure you do. But does it?"
DM: (Pause, sigh) "What's your touch AC?"
Me: "Against the attack of opportunity? 23."
DM: (grumble)

But why opponent should take it if it seems unreasonable? Not sure what rules say but at least Id allow not to take AoO to take one later.

-Dracandross

R-man

First Post
When I am playing a front line PC, I will frequently provoke AoO's from monsters to "use up" the monsters AoO for the round so that other PC's can get into position or withdraw from combat. However I have been burned on a couple of occasions by this tactic by encountering a monster who either; a) has combat reflexes or b) withholds his AoO for use against another target (such as the mage that is backed against the wall).

When I play a melee character I tend to play a very mobile melee character as I find that my effectiveness is much greater if I can be were I want to be rather then in front of the biggest meanest baddy. Nothing like tumbling/walking up walls/flying/teleporting past the meatshields and engaging the enemy spellcaster at the start of the battle to make stuff easier.

The sole recent exception was when I played a Gold Dwarf Warmage wearing Mithral Full plate. My mobility was non-existant but by ability to be directly in melee with a area effect spellcaster allowed me to blast with impunity. The other characters were a Monk and a Rogue both designed for front line with spectacular Reflex saves. Nothing like deliberately fireballing the entire party to get the monsters and only the mage taking damage... the guy with the most HP's in the party!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads