• once per short rest

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • once per encounter

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • two or more potions per encounter

Votes: 6 15.8%

jgsugden

Legend
Uhhh... that poll is missing a lot of options.

In standard games, potions are rarely used, and are pimarily used to bring a downed ally back up, or between battles where there is insufficient time for a short rest.

In many games I play, the use of a potion is a bonus action. In those games, potions are used more often - potentially 1 or 2 potions per LR.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Several times during really tough encounters, but usually zero during the vast majority of encounters.

The poll needs more irregular options.

Shiroiken

Legend
Our group likes to have them on hand, primarily to get someone back up (especially the healer) in combat. Outside of combat they're used if we have to push on without a rest and don't have any healing left other than potions. DMs in our games also heavily restrict how many we can buy in any given locations to keep us from just stocking up.

ccs

41st lv DM
In the 5e game I'm playing in?
We guzzle healing potions like ail....Course that could be that before last session we didn't have a cleric, or really anyone with Cure Wounds. What we do have is GP. And some players use more potions than others.

In the 5e game I run? It's rare that the players use consumable magics.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
2 times out of however many sessions is "weekly sessions since August". I'd rather have it when I need it when use it instead of a spell slot that will recharge, or a hit dice that will recharge.

I

Immortal Sun

I just don't hand them out or sell them except in very rare occasions. It's one of those setting implications I just don't like.

Oofta

Legend
It depends on the group and how many fights you have between rests. For example, do you have a cleric, druid or bard? Does anyone have the healer feat? A healers kit is cheaper than potions and heal more, although it is limited to once per short rest.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I generally make a handful available at lower level and then let them purchase them as they are common items.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases