• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How often should a Ftr 7 hit a CR 7 opponent?

Ridley's Cohort said:
The Rogue? The Monk? The Druid? Their non-BAB modifiers are going to lag unless they hyperoptimize their to hit bonuses.
The druid in wildshape will probably be close.
Level 8 druid as brown bear: +8 Str, -1 size, and typically +1 enhancement from Greater Magic Fang on all attacks. So +8 non-BAB.
Level 12 druid as dire bear: +10 Str, -1 size, and can probably spare 2 Greater Magic Fang spells to get +3 on each claw. So +12 non-BAB.

Nail

First Post
Ridley's Cohort said:
The Rogue? The Monk? The Druid? Their non-BAB modifiers are going to lag unless they hyperoptimize their to hit bonuses.
Point taken....so then how would you answer the question:

"How often should a Ftr 7 hit a CR 7 opponent?"

I *think* your answer would be "practically always", given what you've just said.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Nail said:
FWIW, At 20th level, a Ftrs attack bonus should be +38:

BAB +20, Str (16+5 lvl+6 Enhance +4 Inherent=31)+10, Weapon +5, Feats +3

For a 20th level PC, none of that is unreasonable. In fact, it's a bit low, considering I've neglected ALL buff spells, etc.

Actually, I disagree (which is unusual between the two of us).

I have never actually seen a DM hand out an Inherent magic item and I've never seen players build them. I have seen it in "Ok, everyone build a 20th level PC" games, but not in games where the PCs progressed up the levels. So, I think the +4 Inherent is high and possibly offsets some of the Morale bonuses, etc from buffs. The feats at +3 is a bit high too unless some of the more recent books are allowed.

I think +38 is not really that low at 20th level. More like average or even high in some cases since not all primo magic items are always available in all games.

Nail

First Post
KarinsDad said:
So, I think the +4 Inherent is high ...
Maybe.

In games I've played in (not "one-shots, built at high level"), we've had inherent bonuses by very high level. In fact, most high level modules I've looked over have the "Tomes" in the treasure listings. But YMMV. And by level 17 the mage and cleric have access to Wish or Miracle, so crafting (or scribe scroll) becomes an attractive option. "Banking" XP to spend on inherent bonuses turns out to be a very smart idea after level 17, given the way the CR/XP tables are made.

KarinsDad said:
I think +38 is not really that low at 20th level. More like average ....
That's kinda what I'm after.

IOW, "What's the average attack bonus of a typical fighter-type PLAYER by level X?"

I'm not interested in the NPC progressions (which are every kind of pathetic), nor am I including builds that are super-optimized (and juiced with the latest PrC). Just what a typical player might build (and a typical DM might allow) so that the PC is effective in their role as "warrior-type".

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Nail said:
IOW, "What's the average attack bonus of a typical fighter-type PLAYER by level X?"

Well, since BAB is +1 per level, it seems reasonable that +2 per level (as mentioned earlier) also seems reasonable as a high end without really pushing.

Remove ads