How old were you when you started playing D&D?

How old were you when you started playing D&D?

• 9 years or younger

Votes: 61 15.3%
  • 10-12

Votes: 152 38.0%
  • 13-15

Votes: 99 24.8%
  • 16-18

Votes: 50 12.5%
  • 19-21

Votes: 22 5.5%
  • 22-24

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • 25-27

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • 28-30

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 31 or older

Votes: 6 1.5%

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I had just turned 13 when I got the PHB and DMG (3rd Edition, I know, I know), and I started playing a couple weeks later.

Demiurge out.

Mjollnir

First Post
I was around 23 in 1992 with 2nd edition, so I never played the 1st one, although my game mates showed the rules of it. I had finished my studies in the university by then. So, I carry 13 years of Passion upon my shoulders :D

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
I was 10 years old or so, which means I am coming up on my 25th anniversary.

Oddly enough, most of my D&D stuff came to me somehow second hand.

I still remember when the red boxed set turned up out of nowhere. The damn thing was so confusing I was sure there were books missing (there may have been). I know the dice were missing-- I didn't own a set of "original" light blue dice until years later.

I won a copy of the 1e DMG off a friend in high school on a bet, and I found the 1e MM left lying on the playground.

Several times I got just tons of books, entire boxes, turned over to me at once. Modules constantly came to me second hand-- I still own 2 or 3 copies of all the great classics.

I don't think I actually bought a single D&D product (except dice) until I was in college.

EricNoah

Adventurer
11 here; 1979 was the year, basic was the edition, human fighter was the character, B1 was the adventure, and running away from an orc was my first action.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
This (admittedly unscientific poll) does seem to indicate that the early teenage years are the perfect time to introduce the hobby.

Wulf Ratbane said:
Oddly enough, most of my D&D stuff came to me somehow second hand.

While my basic sets were all gifts, when I started playing AD&D, most of my books were given to me by my cousin, who in turn got them from his older brother who was in the navy. My DMG, MM, FF, and a bunch of adventures came to me this way.

Yraen

First Post
How old...

I was about seventeen and was introduced to AD&D 1E, then bought 2E when it came out and began DM'ing with that.

Westgate Polks

First Post
When I was a young man

I was barely 10, and I got the original box set (with B2 and laminated cardboard chits instead of dice) from a West Los Angeles Savon Drug Store late spring of 1979 as a reward for cleaning up my room. Had my parents known then what they know now, they would have let me keep my room messy.

Let me tell you, playing D&D in 1979 & 1980 in Catholic Schools was bad for your health. My knuckles STILL haven't healed completely. However, my reading level jumped 5 grades in the first year of gaming, so there is anectodal evidence of positive benefits to playing the game.

My first character? A dwarf. The first thing I remember fighting? An orc. It sounds almost divinely ordained.

Zappo

Explorer
I recall that "Eye of the Beholder III" was a new game, so I probably was around 12. It's curious how young we were when we learned the game. Especially considering that RPGs are a rather "advanced" form of entertainment. I wonder if a campaign aimed at promoting gaming as a mature thing could help.

Mature as in "mature", not as in "pr0n"...

Remove ads