• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How open are you about playing DnD?

Shy about playing DnD?

• Rather petrified. No-non gamer knows.

Votes: 45 13.7%
  • Pretty open, perhaps not with everyone.

Votes: 152 46.3%
  • Not in the least bit shy.

Votes: 123 37.5%
  • Other. Please do explain?

Votes: 8 2.4%

T. Foster

First Post
I'm pretty reserved about it. Nobody at work knows (or at least I don't think they do). Most of my non-gamer friends don't know (well, they know I used to play back in jr. high -- most of them did too -- but they don't know I'm still reading and posting on message boards about it and creating dungeons in my spare time). My roommate probably knows (or at very least wonders about the game books left lying around the apartment...) but we don't discuss it. Even back when I was a kid I never broadcasted the fact that I was a gamer -- wearing gamer t-shirts or starting a game-club at school or anything like that.

Asmo

First Post
I´m the evangelist type - everybody that knows me knows that I play :)
Everybody at work knows that I play - and they sometimes even asks me how my gaming night was!

Asmo

Djeta Thernadier

First Post
Not in the least bit shy. I mean I don't run screaming down the street "I PLAY D&D dammit ANd I WANT THE WORLD TO KNOW!"

But my entire dept. at work knows. They think it's weird but , I don't really care. My friends all know. Anyone I am going to form a personal relationship (be it friends, family, etc.) I am certainly not going to keep a part of my life and an interest of mine secret from them.

If someone is going to judge me that severely, they are not someone I want to associate with anyway. Granted some of my co-workers think I'm a bit odd but you know...I don't have to see them outside of work , nor would I really want to. But if they ask me what I'm doing on a weekend, I'll say I have my D&D game. Usually it ends there, if they want to ask questions they know they can certainly ask.

My family knows and thinks its mildly interesting. My boyfriend plays. All of my close friends know details about my characters.

I don't really understand why anyone would not tell their friends, or keep something like this away from someone they were interested in. If you think they are going to judge you, why would you want someone like that in your life?

Maybe I'm just weird. I don't get it.

:shrugs:

In fact, I am on my way to lunch right now, it will be me, MojoGM and our good friend , who doesnt game, but has read the Monster manual, cause she likes fantasy. And she likes hearing about our games.

Last edited:

Pseudonym

Ivan Alias
It hasn't come up with any of my co-workers, and since I didn't play much during the school year when I was in college most of that circle of friends don't really know. Not that it's a deep dark secret mind you, it just hasn't come up.

The non-gamer friends who do know that I play don't seem to care enough to pass judgement on it one way or the other.

Greywarden

Explorer
I make no secret about my hobbies. When I get summoned for Jury Duty, I show up and proudly hit them with "I am an NRA member that plays Dungeons and Dragons, can I go home now?"

WanderingMonster

First Post
I just passed a personal right of passage by inviting six non-gamers to play D&D with me. I'm passing from don't ask, don't tell; to don't care!

I thnk my family considers it an endearing quality of mine that I'm non-threateningly geeky.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
I'm pretty reserved about it. Only one co-worker knows about it and that was only after I knew she liked games and brought in a set of cards from Chez Geek one day and she asked what I was looking at while I was on these boards.

My wife, whom I introduced to gaming after we get married, didn't understand why I didn't bring it up often until another couple whom we are friends with tried an "intervention" with us. They are good friends and wonderful people, but are very devoted Christians. They were concerned what playing this game was going to do to our souls and tired to convince us we should not be doing it. We tooksome time to explain that the game is just that, a game, that it doesn't lead to satan worship or anything like that and we just play it to have a fun time. They accepted it, but obviously were not comfortable with it, so we just don't discuss it with them anymore. My wife has learned to get a better feel for people's attitude before being open about it.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I live in the deep south. People here are very aware of tradition. So much so the the '70s & '80s myth that D&D is santanic still holds a good bit of sway. They heard it and noone said otherwise at the time, so it must be true.
That said, I work in a hobby shop where we have a small assortment of gaming material, but most of the store is traditional hobbies. Most of our customers don't even know we carring gaming stuff (we don't hide it, but they usually don't even look around outside of thier hobby interest). I usually don't bring up my gaming unless directly asked, but there are occasions where I have to talk to a customer about his/her gaming selection in front of one of my nongamer customers. I don't hesitate to do so, but I have had some interesting reactions to this. Very few are interest, most are disdain or, in one occasion, horror that we would deal with that stuff.
I put other on the poll, as I mostly fall in the don't dicuss unless asked category, but at work I don't have that luxury. I am not embarassed by my hobby, and I usually point out to anyone who says anything negative about it that it is just as valid as putting 100+ hours into a wooden ship model or $1000+ into a R/C car. That usually works. :)

Korgan26

First Post
I chose "other".
I am open with my friends and family (gamers and non-gamers alike) but outside of that I'm a closet gamer.

I once had an opportunity to join a gaming group where I would be the youngest. (I'm 27) They wanted to meet at a restaurant and role up characters. Yeah, I didn't go.
To often (in the past when I was open about it) it brought me into conflict with others who thought it was wrong but didn't want to listen to explanation, so needless to say I realized that most don't want to understand they just want to preach, I learned that lesson and now I'm a closet gamer. There is enough conflict in my life without having to seek it out.

Z

shilsen

Adventurer
Completely open about it, just like with everything else. Life is too short to waste time hiding or being embarrassed about something I do.

Remove ads