• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How open are you about playing DnD?

Shy about playing DnD?

• Rather petrified. No-non gamer knows.

Votes: 45 13.7%
  • Pretty open, perhaps not with everyone.

Votes: 152 46.3%
  • Not in the least bit shy.

Votes: 123 37.5%
  • Other. Please do explain?

Votes: 8 2.4%

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
The other thread got me thinking about this...

Me, I'm a little shy about playing DnD, it's not something I normally bring up in regular conversation. My current co-workers still don't know I play - after about 4 years of working with them...

I've certainly got more comfortable about it over the last few years. For example it's on my CV (as it should be!) and I'm happy to walk around town clutching my big pile of geeky books. Probably not stuff I'd have done a few years ago...

Used to be acutely embarrased of it at school... but that was a long time ago! Might have something to do with sport-centered christian military boarding nature of the place, but I digress!

Edit - I'm now going for option 2. Several years ago would have been the top choice.

Last edited:

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
diaglo said:
i'm a blatant example of the breed.

i flaunt my Geekitude. :eek:

That's my target!

My non gamer younger brother (now 24, then about 18) got me started on that road a long time ago, in a fairly nice way. By making endless jokes and speculation about my Secret Missions. Until I finally explained what I was up to. Turned out that's what about half his friends did with their spare time.

KB9JMQ

First Post
Honestly I never knew there used to be a stigma with the game until I got on these boards and learned some people had issues with it in the past.
Me, if it comes up in a conversation it comes up. To me it is no different than any other hobby.
If someone thinks I am weird for gaming that is fine but they would probably think that also cause I bowl, like Nascar, have an amateur radio license and have a physical addiction to Pepsi, etc.
All my friends, family, co-workers know it. I read these boards in front of anyone and when I have a new book I read it whereever I am at. Heck I got the Red Dragon Mini on my desk :D

Wombat

First Post
I'm pretty open about my gaming. When I work in offices, I usually have dice on my desk (not a lot -- 2-3). And since most folks talk about hobbies eventually, I am pretty open about such matters.

Of course I talk about rpgs in general; I usually start off with "Well, you've heard of D&D?" 90% of the time they answer "Yes", and I can explain from there. ;)

Bregh

Explorer
I'm like the St. Cuthbert of gamers, grabbing passers-by on the street and screaming at them, "I PLAY D&D, HOW ABOUT YOU???!!!".

You'd be surprised how many people vigourously nod and say, "Sure, sure, buddy, whatever you say. I play dead too!"

True story!

:p

I don't hide it from anyone, and if it comes up, it comes up. My coworkers know I'm a gamer, and so does just about everyone that I talk to on a regular basis. It's not as if I go around bragging about it, but when people ask "what are you doing this wekend" or what did you do last night" I'll answer "Gaming". This sometimes brings followup questions like what games, or what do you mean, and I'll tell them. I've also got several toys on my desk, including the red dragon mini, a d20, a d6, and some other "geek" stuff. Nice to see I'm not the only one who thought they made good desk accessories! :)

Altalazar

First Post
I don't tend to talk about it much. Then again, I haven't gamed much recently, either. But when I found a few people at work (last job) who did game, I managed to convince some other non-gamer workers to game for the first time. It was fun - it was when 3E just came out. It eventually petered out. So I guess that puts me somewhere between the two lowest categories. I don't talk about it usually with non-gamers, but I have been known to on occasion.

lukelightning

First Post
When my non-gaming friends ask what I do on gaming nights, I'm too embarassed to admit to gaming so I tell them I crossdress and sing at karaoke bars. ;)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads