How open are you about playing DnD?

Shy about playing DnD?

• Rather petrified. No-non gamer knows.

Votes: 45 13.7%
  • Pretty open, perhaps not with everyone.

Votes: 152 46.3%
  • Not in the least bit shy.

Votes: 123 37.5%
  • Other. Please do explain?

Votes: 8 2.4%

Djeta Thernadier

First Post
Cthulhu's Librarian said:
I don't hide it from anyone, and if it comes up, it comes up. My coworkers know I'm a gamer, and so does just about everyone that I talk to on a regular basis. It's not as if I go around bragging about it, but when people ask "what are you doing this wekend" or what did you do last night" I'll answer "Gaming". This sometimes brings followup questions like what games, or what do you mean, and I'll tell them. I've also got several toys on my desk, including the red dragon mini, a d20, a d6, and some other "geek" stuff. Nice to see I'm not the only one who thought they made good desk accessories! :)

I keep dice on my desk and have lots of pictures of fantasy-esque stuff on my walls. I have several medium sized ceramic gargoyles on my bookshelves at work. I also have a calander with puppies on it and a bunch of stuffed animals and a selection of Disney cds...

People don't really know what to make of me.
;)

Mystic_23

First Post
Inconsequenti-AL said:
That's my target!

My non gamer younger brother (now 24, then about 18) got me started on that road a long time ago, in a fairly nice way. By making endless jokes and speculation about my Secret Missions. Until I finally explained what I was up to. Turned out that's what about half his friends did with their spare time.
I said I'm completely open about it. The only people that I work with here that don't know are the Engineers and Managers I work with, and that's just because I don't get much of a chance to socialize with them. I'm definately not afraid to tell anyone. Let them think what they want to think.

Al, about your brother making fun of you...I have a similar situation, and I don't ever let it bother me. It started when my brother and I rented a house together. Fridays (our regular gaming night) my brother would ask "Are you guys having 'Geekfest' tonight?" He's done it often enough that my parents call it that too. And you know what my answer is? It's "Hell yeah! I LOVE 'Geekfest'."

DragonLancer

Adventurer
I don't hide my hobby and I've never had any trouble when I mention it. In fact in job interviews that I have had, it comes across really well with the interviewers.

Kroax

Explorer
I'm completely open about it. I'll even explain what it is or bring it up in a conversation from time to time.

But then again, I'm only 17-years-old, so somehow people don't think it's such a big deal then.

But then again, I suppose I'm viewed as a wierdo by most in my class. And I love it! I'd rather be strange, geeky and happy than common, shallow and disdainful against anything out of the ordinary. ;)

~Johnny~

First Post
When I get summoned for Jury Duty, I show up and proudly hit them with "I am an NRA member that plays Dungeons and Dragons, can I go home now?"
Hahahaha, I'll have to try that. (I've only gone hunting a few times, and I'm pro gun control, but I'm all for taking the Michael Moore approach and affecting the NRA from within.)

A few people have posted about discussing D&D in public places. My only experience with this when I was reading Dynasties and Demogogues on the subway, on my way home from work and looking dapper in a suit, when I heard a female voice bellow, "IS THAT D&D?" I looked up to see a teenage girl standing right next to me, nerdy and vaguely goth-looking, peering intently at my book. I would have been totally cool with the conversation, but for some reason she felt the need to shout everything she said, as if to announce it to the entire subway. "OH MAN, D20, HUH? YEAH, IT'S TAKING OVER THE WORLD." I'm a hard man to embarass, but I found that experience mildly embarassing.

mr_outsidevoice

First Post
with apologies to James Brown.

Say it Loud!

I'm a Geek, and I'm Proud!

Most of my wardrob is gaming related T-Shirts, so the people at my gym see it.
I read game books at work during my lunch hour. Let me tell you how fun it was reading Evil form AEG when a sales rep brought in a client on a facilities tour.
Much to my annoyance, it seems more people here in Austin know me by a name I had in a Fantasy Larp than my real name.

Yeah I'm single, but that is more to being fat, ugly, and cataclysmicly shy around women I'm attracted too.

Cerubus Dark

First Post
Oh great we have to have people come out of the "gaming closet?" Thats sad, I have to be careful at work who I say I am a gamer to becuase I work with a bunch of friggin morons who think D&D is Satan's game. (yea, like Satan knows what a d20 is!)

Well it takes all kinds to run this wacky world of ours, though the DM had better fix some of the NPC's in the world before the PC's go and kick their buns!

Cerubus Dark

First Post
Kroax said:
I'm completely open about it. I'll even explain what it is or bring it up in a conversation from time to time.

But then again, I'm only 17-years-old, so somehow people don't think it's such a big deal then.

But then again, I suppose I'm viewed as a wierdo by most in my class. And I love it! I'd rather be strange, geeky and happy than common, shallow and disdainful against anything out of the ordinary. ;)
Normal people frighten me, they tend to go nuts first. Thats not good. Cookie cutters are for cookies not people.

EricNoah

Adventurer
Friends, family and some co-workers know. I don't usually bring it up unless I'm asked about it or there's a compelling need to explain why I know some weird bit of trivia. :)

Remove ads