• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How Quickly is C&C Catching on?

jstater

First Post
I agree that you don't need prestige classes. I like them, as a DM, because I can throw them at the PCs and suprise them a bit - they think they're tangling with a basic ranger, but then he shows off some powers/abilities they've never seen before.

Now that I think about it, only one of my player's has shown the slightest interest in a prestige class so far.

JRRNeiklot said:
C&C is based on nostalgia about as much as Ford Motor Company. After all, Ford still uses that damned outdated wheel in all it's products. Pathetic.
That's cute, but not particularly insightful. A game that harks back to the RC is hardly equivalent to your cute little analogy, because its an outdated (and, in my opinion) outclassed and obsolete rule system. If you're trying to say that I'm wrong and C&C isn't an old skool rule set resembling a RC/d20 hybrid, then say so, and maybe you can find some specific examples while your at it.

Last edited:

cleaverthepit

First Post
Joshua -- I think you would have to look at it yourself to get a good idea on that. and I don't mean buy it. But, if you have a chance peruse it. In cases like this we all (myslef certainly) have notions of what is or is not and old school rules set.

I mean is HD equaling the to hit bonus old skool, new skool or no skool?

Are primes old skool, new skool or no skool?

Are saves being rolled into attributes checks and bundled with class ability checks old skool, new skool or no skool?

Are ACs being positive old skool, new skool or no skool? (I can tell you this about positive ACs, Gary's first renditions of the game all had positive ACs. Which is why you have +1 shields that subtract one from an AC).

That would have to be a matter of opinion and interpretation. I can tell you a lot of 'old schoolers' who started with this project dumped it and were disgusted with it because it was too new skool.

I'll discuss muti-classing later and monsters and PrCs (as I can roll them up into one concept - which is old skool) but I have a game to run this evening.

And, I can say this about my upcoming game - no preparation has been done but I also know I don't need to spend much time prepping - now that is old skool.

davis

cleaverthepit

First Post
and one quick post concerning whether or not C&C is catching on - if sales continue at the rate they are we will be sold out in 15 days but, we think we have neough for 60 but, we planned on a 6-12 month supply.

ugggg maybe we can afford to fix our website then - routinely vote one of te worst in the industry :)

Breakdaddy

First Post
cleaverthepit said:
...I'll discuss muti-classing later and monsters and PrCs (as I can roll them up into one concept - which is old skool) but I have a game to run this evening...
davis

Davis, that Warhammer module kicks a ton of ass. I need to chat you up sometime about possible conversion techniques between WHFRP and C&C (if you cats already have hooked something up on that).

Karl Green

First Post
So I have a question and did not read it in the first couple of pages of this thread and don't want to read forever :D
How big is C&C Players Guild? Is it really rules-light or just rules-different? Sure dropping AOO, Feats and Skills is a good chunk of 3.5 PHB so I am wondering

Breakdaddy

First Post
Karl Green said:
So I have a question and did not read it in the first couple of pages of this thread and don't want to read forever :D
How big is C&C Players Guild? Is it really rules-light or just rules-different? Sure dropping AOO, Feats and Skills is a good chunk of 3.5 PHB so I am wondering

Pagecount is 128, including ToC, intro, and the requisite OGL page.

JRRNeiklot

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
That's cute, but not particularly insightful. A game that harks back to the RC is hardly equivalent to your cute little analogy, because its an outdated (and, in my opinion) outclassed and obsolete rule system. If you're trying to say that I'm wrong and C&C isn't an old skool rule set resembling a RC/d20 hybrid, then say so, and maybe you can find some specific examples while your at it.

I keep hearing (not just from you) that C&C''s drawbacks are because it uses mechanics from or similar to OAD&D. To some of us, those "drawbacks" are the strength of the system. Just because something is old does not mean we like it because of nostalgia. We like it because it works. Thus the wheel analogy. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Unfortunately 3e took a lot of ideas that weren't broken and "fixed" them anyway. C&C goes a long way toward restoring that.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads