D&D (2024) How quickly should WOTC add new classes?

When should WOTC introduce new classes to 50th Anniversary D&D

• No more outside of the Artificer

Votes: 16 17.8%
  • Publish a new class with the Artificer

Votes: 19 21.1%
  • A year after the Artificer

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • A year after the Artificer and every year after

Votes: 14 15.6%
  • 2 years after the Artificer

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • 3 years after the Artificer

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Whenever the 1st rules option book is published

Votes: 21 23.3%
  • Whenever the 2nd rules option book is published

Votes: 13 14.4%
  • Whenever the first setting that requires a new class is published

Votes: 24 26.7%
  • Other

Votes: 14 15.6%

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Assuming that the 50th anniversary version of 5th edition is published in late 2024 or early 2025, when do you think WOTC should introduce new classes to 5th edition?

It's pretty much stated that the Artificer will be updated.

However to me the plan of trying to squeeze every popular D&D archetype plus some new popular fantasy archetypes into the 12 base classes just isn't working if the goal is high satisfaction. D&D over its first 4 editions created many popular base classes, many with their own subsystems. And D&D as the entry and wide niche of the market must try to keep up with some popular trends in fantasy. And WOTC was close to their breaking point of design with the system right now.

So when, if ever, should WOTC add additional classes to the revision of 5th edition after the Artificer is updated?

Hatmatter

Laws of Mordenkainen, Elminster, & Fistandantilus
Hi Minigiant. I am very interested in this. Where did you get this impression? Thanks!

As to the question, the approach that Wizards of the Coast has been taking for the last decade: publishing the new class when it is ready, seems like a great one to me. Of course, I would have loved to have seen a psionicist, but the various Unearthed Arcanas indicate that they never got it down to their satisfaction. An artificial schedule beyond that could easily lead to bloat and unbalanced additions.

I do like the subclass psionic idea they implemented, but it seems like there should still be room for a psionicist...unless the revised sorcerer makes a psionicist subclass (beyond the aberrant mind sorcerer) more possible by eliminating the explicit arcane features of the sorcerer class.

Cheers everyone!

Last edited:

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Hi Minigiant. I am very interested in this. Where did you get this impression? Thanks!

As to the question, the approach that Wizards of the Coast has been taking for the last decade: publishing the new class when it is ready, seems like a great one to me. Of course, I would have loved to have seen a psionicist, but the various Unearthed Arcanas indicate that they never got it down to their satisfaction. An artificial schedule beyond that could easily lead to bloat and unbalanced additions.

I do like the subclass psionic idea they implemented, but it seems like there should still be room for a psionicist...unless the revised sorcerer makes a psionicist subclass (beyond the aberrant mind sorcerer) more possible by eliminating the explicit arcane features of the sorcerer class.

Cheers everyone!
One of the wotc folks mentioned the impending/post-launch status of the artificer at some point in those one d&d videos they've been doing for the last few months IIRC.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I would have put a Captain/Marshal class out with Dragonlance, but since that didn’t happen…when they have a solid framework that will pass the UA process.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I'd like a new class book about 4-6 months after the new PHB. I'd actually kind of like the classes released on dndbeyond first, so they can get a month of testing, but that's not realistic, I don't think.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Assuming that the 50th anniversary version of 5th edition is published in late 2024 or early 2025, when do you think WOTC should introduce new classes to 5th edition?

However to me the plan of trying to squeeze every popular D&D archetype plus some new popular fantasy archetypes into the 12 base classes just isn't working if the goal is high satisfaction. D&D over its first 4 editions created many popular base classes, many with their own subsystems. And D&D as the entry and wide niche of the market must try to keep up with some popular trends in fantasy. And WOTC was close to their breaking point of design with the system right now.

So when, if ever, should WOTC add additional classes to the revision of 5th edition after the Artificer is updated?
In the next appropriate product published after they come up with an interesting, reasonably playtested idea. That way they're not grid-filling, but not holding back either.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I'd argue that what WOTC is doing now is grid filling. Just with subclasses.

That's why I think 5e needs more classes to escape the grid
Oh sure, I think WotC should have made more classes years ago. Now 3pp has done an excellent job at picking up WotC's slack, so we don't need them anymore. Valda's Guide from Mage Hand Press for example has a bunch of great new 5e classes in it.

Remove ads