• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How should 5th edition introduce the remaining classic settings?

What's the best way to introduce classic settings to 5E?

Shiroiken

Legend
Several of the setting's designers are still alive. I'd like to see them given permission to create 3PP to create the setting books. This puts the risk on the third party, rather than on WotC (as the glut of settings during 2E was a financial problem). As for settings who's authors have passed (Greyhawk, Blackmoor), either open them up in the DMGuild or pick someone with experience to pick it up (Rob Kurtz). Given that WotC has decided not to go into detail on the settings (1 book), I think giving Ed Greenwood and Keith Baker permission to print more detailed products would also be a good thing.

Thakazum

Explorer
Is it really a "Greyhawk" book? Sure the town is placed in Greyhawk according to various sources but does Saltmarsh really give guidance on playing in Greyhawk? Background on the races and ethnicities of humanity? Any information about the world's politics? Does it even give much information on Keoland, where Saltmarsh was originally located? I thought it just suggested ways of putting it into other campaign worlds (I'm just a player not a GM on this adventure).

Sadras

Legend
I've already converted the entire Mystara Known World setting to 5th edition and playtested it thoroughly. I would love to sell it as it's all custom art and layout but I'm not allowed until they give the green light. It's a wonderful setting and I introduce it to new players all the time. There's a reason why we remember the older settings, their design was fantastic and worth revisiting.

I will be your first customer when those floodgates open! ;)

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Is it really a "Greyhawk" book? Sure the town is placed in Greyhawk according to various sources but does Saltmarsh really give guidance on playing in Greyhawk? Background on the races and ethnicities of humanity? Any information about the world's politics? Does it even give much information on Keoland, where Saltmarsh was originally located? I thought it just suggested ways of putting it into other campaign worlds (I'm just a player not a GM on this adventure).
There's a brief description of Keoland's history and how it affects Saltmarsh.

Do you remember the last "Curse of the Strand"? It is practically a reboot, with lots of new details added, and fandom liked it. This could be only a piece to show us what they are working about. Maybe they are going to continue the metaplot of Dark Sun and Ravenloft.

My opinion is the project for 5th isn't D&D worlds being adapted from tabletops to media titles (teleseries or videogames) but from the future media titles to TTRPGs. The Dragonlance modules compilations will arrive after the videogame or teleserie.

And why not a "fake crossover"?

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
I've already converted the entire Mystara Known World setting to 5th edition and playtested it thoroughly. I would love to sell it as it's all custom art and layout but I'm not allowed until they give the green light. It's a wonderful setting and I introduce it to new players all the time. There's a reason why we remember the older settings, their design was fantastic and worth revisiting.
And you did it all without waiting for someone else to give you permission or to do it for you. Plus, you were able to share with your players and introduce them to something you obviously love and care about. Anyone can do this. That was my point.

But now you're looking to make a profit or at least share your work openly, which is understandable. I hope one day that dream becomes a reality for us all. In the meantime, let us continue to create and play in those systems and settings that many of us cherished for decades.

Regardless of what happens next, I offer kudos to you on your achievements! :)

atanakar

Hero
I don't think WoTC will touch Mystara. The community is really attached to BECMI and they already do a very good job with the Threshold fanzine. The risk of doing it a disservice is too high. Letting Goodman Games do the Basic modules reprints with 5e adaptation is a far as they will go. I also don't see a setting book for Greyhawk either. Everything is already for sale in Drivethru. Opening them to DMGuild would make sense, eventually.

Planescape, Spelljammer and Dark Sun are the only three really distinctive settings that could be reedited. We probably won't see full setting books. Probably adventure books with specific setting rules at the back.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads