D&D 5E How should 5th edition introduce the remaining classic settings?

What's the best way to introduce classic settings to 5E?

WotC hasn't shown much interest in updating the TSR-era settings, probably precisely because the newer generation of players has no connection to them. They want to release "live" settings that players already want to play in like Ravnica and Wildemount. So the short answer is that I don't expect this to happen any time soon.

If it did happen, I don't see why they would change the model they're using for Ravnica and Wildemount and the like. They seem happy with it, and so does the audience. The one exception might be, as @Count Zero already said, an adventure path for Dragonlance, since that setting is tied to a specific storyline more than the others.

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
You can't release books for those settings on the guild like you can with Realms, Ravenloft or Eberron. You can convert all you want but the motivation to create new things for them isn't as high as it would if you could put it on the guild.
The motivation is high for those who want to play in those settings and are unwilling to wait or compromise for someone else to do the work for them. There is a wealth of good materials and ideas already out there. Use them. Do the work.

Or are you specifically wanting to release materials in the public venue for fun and profit? For the record, I agree that if they aren't doing anything with these IPs themselves, then open it up for others who can or could. But don't let that stop you or anyone else to think they can't play or create the games they want for themselves.

The Glen

Legend
I've already converted the entire Mystara Known World setting to 5th edition and playtested it thoroughly. I would love to sell it as it's all custom art and layout but I'm not allowed until they give the green light. It's a wonderful setting and I introduce it to new players all the time. There's a reason why we remember the older settings, their design was fantastic and worth revisiting.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I prefer sourcebooks. Dark Sun is going to take a full-length book Campaign Setting to describe "what is different here". I would like to see a Phandelver-sized adventure co-released with it: activity in one city-state, including a journey into / back from the wilderness.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
For me, it depends on the setting. Dark Sun could use a book (with psionic). Dragonlance, Spelljammer and Planescape would be probably fine as an adventure path. I'd be happy if they just opened Greyhawk and Mystara on DM's Guild.

Zardnaar

Legend
Is there something wrong with all these previous books, boxed sets, and online materials that can't be used or converted as is? 5e isn't a very complicated system, from what I've seen. So most regular settings and campaigns that stay close to the core rules and expectations shouldn't require a lot of leg work to port over.

That said, Dark Sun would be the exception as it wilfully goes against the basic premises of the core game. Personally, I think it needs to be its own system with its own rules tailored to fit the aesthetics and themes of a dying world where magic is truly outlawed and daily survival is far greater victory than coins or treasure.

Darksun and Spelljammer require a bit more work.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Is there something wrong with all these previous books, boxed sets, and online materials that can't be used or converted as is?
This question makes sense when talking to people who live and breathe the history of the game, but the number of players has doubled for at least three years and maybe four. Millions aren't going to their local thrift store with the prayer that they can find a book that they barely know the name of, nor do they even know what the DMsGuild is.

ChaosOS

Legend
Opening stuff up to dmsguild is huge - it means people can write conversions of old adventures in a setting without WOTC having to put their tiny team on it. Sure, an individual DM can do the work, but the success of the dmsguild proves plenty would rather pay for someone else to.

Remove ads