D&D 5E How should be the future Oriental Adventures.

---

I an thinking it's very difficult to create a totally ideologically neutral fantasy Asian countepart. It's better to create an IP for Japan, S-Korea and other countries and other different by and for Chinese.

We haven't to worry about an updated version of the monsters. If we want, we could use the creatures from Pathfinder.

After the psionic powers WotC could work for the martial adepts, but we haven't to hurry.

The shen/spirit folk subraces are bamboo, sea, river and montain. I love PC with pets, but "speak with animals" not always is very useful. To create a new subrace about shen who lives in the urban zones, and even as members of the noble houses? Aren't shen the children of the lungs (imperial dragons)?

The PC races are maybe one of the most important things of the D&D franchise as "brand power" because they give players their own marks of personality. You know is D&D when you recognice those humanoid races don't appear in the rest of titles. The PC races are from different cultures with their own rules about etiquette and protocol. A korobokuru can answer: "(I'am) poor but honest!" and hates the good manners and courtesy by the people from urban zones because they think they are signs of total hipocrisy (and they need a good reason to go far from their loved villages. Vanara are more friendly, maybe too much. If the PC races are too happy living in the nature, why to take the troubles to go to the troublemaker human populations?

Should tanuki and nekomata be only hengeyokai subraces?

My opinion is we shouldn't allow a monopoly about fantasy based in cultures from other civilitations. We have to take care and to avoid any unitentional offense, of course, but wuxia and chanbara in D&D should be allowed as a door what helps us to know better that cultures.

I am been thinking.

Today most of potential players don't want a return of Kara-Tur, and I wouldn't dismiss the idea of a retcon of the spin-off (by fault of the sundering event?). Most of potential players really would want to adapt their favorite IPs (videogames, anime or donghuand), and here the Japanese influence is too strong. I guess Wotc will create new settings, one for the Japanese fandom, other for the Chinese-speaker fandom, and other for Korean and other Asian nations.

Korean alphabet was designed to be easy to be learnt by illiteraty people, the design of the consonant letters is based on articulatory phonetics. Japanese writting system has got two sillabaries (not alphabet, but a sign for each syllabe). And the Chinese languange has got a different sing for each word. Not even the native Chinese-speakers know all. I guess WotC will want to create a fantasy alphabet close to the Korean, with different vocals.

We don't need yet new base classes or subclass, but the true mark of identity of D&D are the PCs. The most, or almost all, xuanhuan titles are only humans. And I see the Asian fantasy MMO with fantasy races have got some standard, the corpulent giantouched, the cute kemonomimi (animal ears), the humans and the smarts (not elvens really but close).

Shaman should be a class, but not only for wuxia adventures. Maybe the lore should get ready too add the possible future new classes.

Usually the adventures in urban zones, intrigues in the palatial court, for example, need "town mice", and the most of the Kara-tur PC races are "country mice" who would rather to live in nature zones, not in the civilitated cities.

Shen/spiritfolk could be perfect for players who want to play a maho-shojo, but the racial traits should be enough interesting for those players with a munchkin vein.

* Should half-oni(ogre mage) to be a new class?

* To avoid controversies WotC could create a new line based in the sword & planet + planetary romance, with a look of Star Wars, but you can use all the crunch (races and monsters) based and Asian folklore, and then nobody should complain about stereotypes of Asian cultures (the characters could behove like a classic far west).

* Do you know any wuxia comic as the ghostly doctor?

29166cbd9c4be0eb05b2e27822e38525.jpg

Last edited:

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Going through my book shelf, and I just pulled out "Jade Dragons & Hungry Ghosts" by Green Ronin from 2001. I don't remember ever looking at the creative staff or introduction before. Zeb Cook, Wolfgang Baur, Erik Mona, Chris Pramas, Steven Schend, and Leon Phillips. The cover was by rk post. No obviously non-western names in the rest.

Anwyay, I thought the introduction talking about how things had changed over the 15 years since OA was interesting. Better in some ways, the same in others. (I wish I had found it when the now-locked discussions of the original OA were going on).

Attachments

• IMG_20200919_113207.jpg
    IMG_20200919_113207.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 169
  • IMG_20200919_113320.jpg
    IMG_20200919_113320.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 182
Last edited:

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Its one I enjoyed, I wish they had put it out in PDF as well. Their Not-India psionic setting and monster book ones too.

I really just need to go back through there whole line and see what I missed and what the reviews say and everything! A lot of it should be an easy port to some PF stuff I still (would like to) do.

My wish is to can build a fantasy world based in the speculative fiction from the different Asia countries. Japan is the main influence and this can't be avoided, but other cultures also can show some interesting things. But I worry about Asian authors showing in their works their own prejudices against their neighbor countries, rival powers in the past or even today, or even compatriots from different social caste or region. It isn't easy to create a totally ideologically neuter setting, because later or sooner somebody will say this or that is allegory about a matter from the real world.

Today the source of inspiration aren't only the classic folklore, but the current fiction, as videogames, animation series or comics.

Last edited:

1. Don't call it Oriental Adventures
  2. Go one of two paths
    1. Fully researched and vetted by experts of Asian mythology and history
    2. Completely reform itself from the truth and only display the feel of Asian tropes and ideas in high fantasy with as few specific references as possible (like the XGTE Samurai)
  3. Still consult experts of Asian history, mythology, and culture to prevent offense.
Iznothard, really.
All these rules make sense and should be applied as soon as possible to vanilla D&D, in order to make things right, to show some respect to the various sources and cultural influences used.

Not only mist of Akuma (although very steampunk) but I suggest other setting: Kaidan, by Rite Publishing.

---

Not to toot my own horn, but if people are interested in more focused settings, I did Wandering Heroes of Ogre Gate, which is a wuxia RPG set in a world mostly inspired by Song Dynasty China. I also put out Strange Tales of Songling not long ago, which is a more simple RPG intended to emulate the Strange Tales from a Chinese Studio stories by Pu Songling (for those not familiar films like A Chinese Ghost Story and Painted Skin are based on these). None of these are D&D though

Remove ads