• Max at all levels

Votes: 10 10.5%
  • The average at all levels

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Something else

Votes: 14 14.7%

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
For the games I've been playing in and DMing, it's been max at first, roll thereafter. But the rolls are better of 2. So if my hit die is a d10, I roll a d10, the DM rolls a d10 and I take the better of the two (basically, it's like rolling with advantage). Produces an expected value closer to 60-70% of the maximum depending on the die size.
We've been doing this since 3e, so about 20 years.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I don't honestly care how people want to do hit points for 5e. In one game, I had a player who was rolling hit points while others were just taking the set amount. I can't remember how I levelled up my fighter, I think I went with the set hit points but I might have rolled. I'd have to check the character on dndbeyond.

In the OSE game I'm playing in, we went max hp at level 1, then roll from 2 onwards.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I mean, you “should” do what the book says, cause that’s what the game’s math assumes. So, max at 1st level, choice of rolled hit die or average-rounded-up each level thereafter. Personally, I’ve always been bothered by the fact that the rolled option is statistically worse, so I allow players who choose to roll for it to reroll 1s, which brings the average up to the same as the fixed value. That balances the options without impacting expected PC hit point values.

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
I don’t know about what “should” be the standard for 5e, it’s not all that important to me.

However, my group does max hit points every level, so their characters can be a bit more hearty as our group tends to like harder and crazier combats and challenges.

ezo

I cast invisibility
When PCs get hit points at creation and upon leveling up, what method should be default?
An idea I've always liked is:

1st Level: Roll. If you roll below average, you get average (rounded DOWN).

OR

1st Level:
Roll with advantage.

Either is a good for me...

At Level Up: Reroll all your accumulated Hit Dice. If the total is greater than your current (prior to level up) hit points, you have the new hit points. Otherwise, you keep your prior total.

This way leveling up doesn't automatically give you more hp. It gives you the chance. And if you rolled crappy for a few levels, this will likely fix it. If you rolled well, you don't lose what you have if you happen to roll lower.

Remove ads