• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) How should multiclassing be implemented for ODnD?

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Ideally, races and classes are organized into feats and halffeats. Then pick a base race or class and swap out one feature to acquire an other feature from an other race or class.

gorice

Hero
Removed or made more similar to Pathfinder 2e is my opinion.
Yeah, PF2e multiclassing and subclasses look great, though I haven't played them. One thing that struck me about them when I first saw them was how well the subclasses let you express different concepts or themes. And, if your concept doesn't work with the existing options (want an Artorias-like armoured fighter with a wolf companion?), you can pinch a feat from another class for a small cost.

Because casters rule and martials drool. As always.
Nope. This is just sad.
I think during playtest stacking extra attacks was a rule. But this also felt bad, because then taking single class fighter felt like a trap option.
I do think however that if it is balanced correctly, it can work.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Yeah, PF2e multiclassing and subclasses look great, though I haven't played them. One thing that struck me about them when I first saw them was how well the subclasses let you express different concepts or themes. And, if your concept doesn't work with the existing options (want an Artorias-like armoured fighter with a wolf companion?), you can pinch a feat from another class for a small cost.
Yeah, but the cost is actually huge with dedication. I don't usually go for hybrid multi-classing, but its ok if you use the free archetype variant in PF2. Otherwise, its so tight and silo'd its hard to differentiate characters in the same class.

Sir Brennen

Legend
I always laugh at Warlock dips...

"You know that you sold your Soul for Eldritch Blast, right?
I’m currently playing a sorlock, and I like to make sure the multi-classing game mechanics are supported by the story.

I told the GM the broad strokes of what I wanted for my character journey. My PC would start as a Shadow sorcerer, who’s power came from a failed ritual where he was to be sacrificed as a young boy. In the process, the tip of a strange dagger was broken off in his chest, and he has a wound that won’t heal. While he develops a few useful magical tricks for his initial career as a gang member in the poorer part of town, he was never comfortable with his powers.

After a few levels, he would find a reason to take a fey patron and become a warlock (knowing the fey Courts are of significance in the campaign world). The goal was to eventually get a Book of Shadows, primarily to get a raven familiar to complete his Sandman aesthetic (this was a few years before the current Netflix adaptation).

Then, his patron would do something to betray him. My PC would turn his back on his patron, essentially stealing his Book of Shadows, and embrace his “natural” arcane ability.

Long story short, the GM made all of this into a relevant part of the campaign, and eventually the party actually had to battle my former patron to banish him back to the fey realms.

Did I take Eldritch Blast? Of course, as that’s the main weapon of most Warlocks. I did skip Agonizing Blast though in favor of Repelling Blast, which is way more fun. I also got my raven, so it all worked out.

So, yeah, I think one thing about the current multi-class system is it also opens up some interesting story telling options. My next character, which we’re talking about using the campaign to playtest the upcoming UAs, is going to start as a bard, part of a tavern’s house band, who eventually becomes a paladin of Vengeance. (The party will be based on the image below) I have no idea if there’s a “power build” for a … bardalin?… but it’s the story I want to tell with my character.

Attachments

• 9D8B7033-2C7C-466C-BF4E-DAB7611D94C3.jpeg
    9D8B7033-2C7C-466C-BF4E-DAB7611D94C3.jpeg
    89.7 KB · Views: 46

HammerMan

Legend
Nope. This is just sad.
I think during playtest stacking extra attacks was a rule. But this also felt bad, because then taking single class fighter felt like a trap option.
I do think however that if it is balanced correctly, it can work.
The solution is give more class features and options so fighters have reasons to stay in the vlass

Remove ads