• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How To Build Playable Werewolves and Vampires

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
When I run dnd for kids at the library, the monk is quite popular, so replacing the monk definitely isn’t an option for my table.

In fact, the anime fans want to play the monk. You can’t Naruto run with a fighter. 😂
uh, strange. Every time I got one player wanting to play a monk, I ask her: do you want the whole kung-fu ascetic packgage or do you want to fight unarmed or unarmored. 100% of the time (not even exaggerating), they want to hit stuff with their bare fist or wield weapon and fighter unarmored. That's why I homebrewed reinforced knuckles as the bludgeoning equivalent of the shortswords and a fighting style that gives the Unarmored Defense feature based on Con, Wis or Int. Then I add Kensei to the fighter's archetypes list and Shadow(dancer) to the rogue's. Inevitably they choose fighter instead with those features instead.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
uh, strange. Every time I got one player wanting to play a monk, I ask her: do you want the whole kung-fu ascetic packgage or do you want to fight unarmed or unarmored. 100% of the time (not even exaggerating), they want to hit stuff with their bare fist or wield weapon and fighter unarmored. That's why I homebrewed reinforced knuckles as the bludgeoning equivalent of the shortswords and a fighting style that gives the Unarmored Defense feature based on Con, Wis or Int. Then I add Kensei to the fighter's archetypes list and Shadow(dancer) to the rogue's. Inevitably they choose fighter instead with those features instead.
Different groups. 🤷‍♂️

Also, I don’t bring up kung fu, most of the time. I just describe the ability set.

And again, ya can’t naruto run with a fighter. Or jump 30 feet. Or catch arrows and throw them back.

doctorbadwolf

Different groups. 🤷‍♂️

Also, I don’t bring up kung fu, most of the time. I just describe the ability set.

And again, ya can’t naruto run with a fighter. Or jump 30 feet. Or catch arrows and throw them back.
Also, the airbenders, and a bunch of other cartoon Archetypes, are modeled better by the monk.

Tales and Chronicles

Also, the airbenders, and a bunch of other cartoon Archetypes, are modeled better by the monk.
Yeah on this one and the ''arrow catching'' thing I agree, they are undeniably monk things that cant be easily replicated.

I think with a little effort I could come up with a functioning Monster class that would not step on the eventual monk's toes at my table.
  • Increase grim attacks to 1d6 up to 2d6
  • Remove Flurry of Blows to give Fate-spurned's Fury as a willpower-fueled smite feature.
  • Change bestial strike to knock prone or push 10 ft. Str Save
  • Remove unarmored movement, give mobility features to the vampire instead.
  • Monster Heart gives Advantage against fear and charm effect.

doctorbadwolf

Yeah on this one and the ''arrow catching'' thing I agree, they are undeniably monk things that cant be easily replicated.

I think with a little effort I could come up with a functioning Monster class that would not step on the eventual monk's toes at my table.
  • Increase grim attacks to 1d6 up to 2d6
  • Remove Flurry of Blows to give Fate-spurned's Fury as a willpower-fueled smite feature.
  • Change bestial strike to knock prone or push 10 ft. Str Save
  • Remove unarmored movement, give mobility features to the vampire instead.
  • Monster Heart gives Advantage against fear and charm effect.
That makes sense. Lycanthropes have movement built into turning into a beast, but could eventually be able to take on their beast speed in humanoid form?

Anoth

Adventurer
I will add to the monk conversation on this thread. If you play a game where players can not wear armor all the time. Like in cities or at important social events then you just upped the power of the monk and made them extremely viable. I do alot of urban adventures where the players just can’t wear armor to gain access to the places they want to go. Now that’s not every place, but it can go on for a while sometimes. Of course there are cut throat towns where players can wear armor all the time. But not in my games equivalent of London, Paris or cities like that. I make it clear through RP when armor is a appropriate.

doctorbadwolf

I do have a Vryloka writeup for 5e that works really well, but I put my own spin on it for a background that splits them into two subraces, and then relates them to Shadar-Kai, and ties their origin to the Raven Queen, Red Witch, and the Lady or Silver Mist (lady of the white well but creepy).

Tales and Chronicles

@vincegetorix In your write-up you mention the Burdens, which I assume are your subclasses/archetypes, but they are not included in your post. :-(
Yeah, Burdens were supposed to be the archetypes:
Burden of Vampirism, Burden of the Slayer, Burden of Lycanthropy etc...

I'm not sure when I'll finish them. I spend a lot of time homebrewing stuff that wont see the light of day at my table; my players refuse most of the time to use stuff not written in the PHBs I bought them.

Maybe tomorrow. I'll make some changes and some of the Burdens while my son is taking his nap,

Remove ads