• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

how to convince people that D&D is not evil

Corvidae,

There have been several good suggestions on this thread when it comes to reaching your parents through reason. The problem is, I don't think talking someone through a D&D session won't give them a real idea of what gaming really is, good or bad. Also, since (as has been mentioned before) the "D&D is evil" argument isn't rational, you may not get through that way.

What I have done succesfully (twice) is something I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned before (and if it has and I missed it, I apologize) -- invite your parents to watch and/or participate in an actual game.

I played my first D&D at about 8 or 9 (it's a little fuzzy) and really started playing regularly at about 12 or so. My parents had heard the whole suicide/demon-worshipping/criminal D&D spiel, and were understandably concerned for their son. Thankfully, my parents take most things they hear with a grain of salt until shown otherwise, and after talking to me, I invited them to watch me play with friends. When they saw that we were playing the good guys, no one had on goat skin pants or was drawing actual pentagrams on the floor and attempting to kill their buddy, they realized it was simply a game (it may sound like a cop-out, but that doesn't make it any less true) and didn't bother me about it again.

Fast forward a few years. I had been recently married to my wonderful wife, whose sister saw my RPG collection on the living room bookshelf. Later, said sister-in-law called my wife and insisted that she burn -- not just throw out, but burn; apparently burning is better somehow -- all of my "evil D&D stuff," preferably while I was at work, so I could not object or stop her somehow. Again, my wife was understandably concerned for me (she trusts her family) but she also had a little bit of faith in the man she married. She spoke to me about what her sister had said, and I invited her to sit in on one game night. After that, she said playing would bore her to death, but the most satanic thing she saw that night was the Jolt Cola we were drinking (if anyone remembers that). Since then, she has accepted my role-playing nuttiness as a hobby, no worse than scrapbooking (whether you consider scrapbooking satanic is up to you).

Anyway, long story short (I know -- too late), there is really not substitute for personal experience. If your parents were able to balance what they had been told about this "awful satanic D&D" against actually seeing you play an innocuous game, which to you think they would choose to believe? On the other hand, as has been mentioned before, there are people who are beyond convincing by any means -- so far as I know, my sister-in-law still thinks I am going to Hell. Do as you will.

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
Wow, interesting thread. Corvidae, I feel for you. While I haven't gone through a situation as extreme as you have I can certainly understand the frustration you feel at the judgement levelled at you.

As others have said, it will take a lot of convincing to help those you are close to understanding D&D isn't evil or satanic. My mother was a bit worried when I started role-playing, but I invited her to watch me and my friend play one day, and I showed her my books.
Luckily, she was ok after that, though she was slightly disapproving of some of the chainmail bikini pics. :D
Anyway, I think it will give you a sense of relief to talk to your family about it. Even if they don't approve after all all that, you have done your best to illuminate them. As a christian you can forgive them their misunderstanding of course, and have to agree to disagree.

Honestly, these days I get more frustrated with people with erroneous views on religion than with religious folk judging D&D as being evil or satanic. It's really a shame that humankind takes so much effort in being judgmental, isn't it? Hopefully one day we will all learn not to be so.

I wish you luck, Corvidae

Rel

Liquid Awesome
bento said:
I almost want to say something to either (a) get this post nuked or (b) get kicked off of EN for a week, so here it goes:

Wish Granted. I'll go with option B.

I also went and edited Harmon's earlier post.

I'm leaving this thread open for now but people had better watch what they say and which generalizations they're casting about. And if anybody even comes CLOSE to saying, "Well this is probably over the line, but..." then they're getting SO banned. IF YOU THINK IT'S PROBABLY OVER THE LINE THEN DON'T POST IT.

Halivar

First Post
diaglo said:
i gamed with people who believed they too had the power to cast real spells. does that make them evil?

yes, they believed it. no, i'm not kidding.
It is my firm belief that some people should not play D&D. If, say, my kids decided to turn their hobby into an escapist fantasy, I'd probably put a stop to it.

As a matter of fact, I sometimes have to put some constraints on myself. If, for instance, I spend more time at work daydreaming about my character than working, I probably need to take a break from it.

Of course, D&D is no more dangerous or "evil" in this regard than, say, books or movies. I have a lot of friends who probably need to scale back on their anime intake.

Barak

First Post
freebfrost said:
I thought that was the reason Gygax published OD&D... ;)

Seriously, did they think they could cast D&D spells?

I cast Tasha's Hideous Laughter all the time, but that's just because I'm funny. Ok, so the tiny tarts help too.

Mercule

Adventurer
bento said:
Just hearing from another fellow Christian, Mercule, who claims that he's from THE SNIPER NEST makes my stomach turn.

Hmm... I'd actually forgetten I put that there. It's a hold-over from when I moved into my new house. My office (which contains my computer -- therefore where I am when browsing ENWorld) is on the third floor/attic. From the outside, it looks like something from a movie (then current) where a sniper shoots from. A comment to that effect was made during the move by a friend. I thought it was amusing.

Really, I should change it. Along with the avatar picked when the BSG miniseries was new and the quote picked during Reagan's funeral. I guess I'm just a bit lazy.

I really don't have anything else to say about the matter -- except that you may have ENW confused with CM.

tombshroud

Explorer
"but the most satanic thing she saw that night was the Jolt Cola we were drinking..."

Now a case of jolt cola is something I WOULD sacrafice for :)

For some reason they do not sell it in Ohio.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads