D&D 5E How to "fix" (or at least help) the fighter/wizard dynamic. (+)

How to best help Fighters get shenanigans to bridge the gap to Wizards?

Vaalingrade

Legend
I was snarkier than was needed, but I feel that a problem with your posts if that you tend to throw around a lot of oneliners about how everything in 5e is terrible, and rarely give nuanced explanation of what you would actually like to see and how it would work. So it is not really a misrepresentation, it is the impression your posts give.
People keep ignoring the bullet pointed lists, the long rants and very detailed explanations I give -- including the one in this very thread -- so one liners it is.

Pauln6

Hero
In my campaign, only the death gods can grant raise dead or resurrection. Nerull requires a life for a life (intelligent and equivalent not bag of rats) while Wee Jas requires a magic item of power suitable to the character level. Those brought back acquire an indelible mark singling them out as one of the returned (the mark of Nerull or the Mark of Wee Jas) but the dead cannot rule. Resurrected or not, lands, wealth and titles pass to your heirs and you have to start again. Stigma and blackmail fodder abound.

As far as building a warlord goes, if you adopt the idea of letting every fighter adopt one manoeuvre at will (without adding superiority dice to the outcome), enhanced by fighting styles and feats that give you extra manoeuvres, you could adopt a Purple Dragon Knight who has picked Commander's Strike as their at will manoeuvre, Manoeuvring Attack at will from choosing Superior Technique, and then Rally (at will for Charisma bonus temp hit points) plus either Commanding Presence or Tactical Assessment from the Martial Adept feat. They would only have 2d6 superiority dice but lots of fun with the at will stuff.

Staffan

Legend
Designwise, the Fighter can split into two separate classes:
• Knight (heavy infantry) - with heavy armor, tanking, and social savvy.
• Skirmisher (light infantry) - with light or no armor, finesse, and exploration mobility.
That's about the split Monte Cook made in Arcana Unearthed, with the Warmain as the armored warrior and the Unfettered as the skirmisher. The unfettered took on much of the rogue's combat stuff, leaving the skill monkey stuff to the more cerebral Akashic class instead.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
People keep ignoring the bullet pointed lists, the long rants and very detailed explanations I give -- including the one in this very thread -- so one liners it is.

Do you remember where I. The thread it was? Unless it wasn't that long I missed it going back through (in which case I blame Fog of Covid).

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
So these statements weren't enough?

If that still doesn't help you, I guess I am just not seeing what you are asking for. 🤷‍♂️
They weren't, but it's okay. I don't want to derail the thread about this. You gave it plenty of effort as you typed a book about it, but what you elaborated on just wasn't what I was trying to ask for. No hard feelings on my side. If I see a place to add some interesting input I'll chime back in.

Remove ads