• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How to force emotions down your players' throats?

If you want the players to emotionally immerse themselves in the characters, you can only encourage it I think, by giving them more to react to. This means that you as a DM can provide music that sets the mood, and that you as a DM may have to go the extra mile to really bring the emotions of the npc's to life. This gives your players something to react to.

Lanliss

Explorer
If you want the players to emotionally immerse themselves in the characters, you can only encourage it I think, by giving them more to react to. This means that you as a DM can provide music that sets the mood, and that you as a DM may have to go the extra mile to really bring the emotions of the npc's to life. This gives your players something to react to.

I did plan on finding some good music and background noise, but have not yet made time for that. I have also been doing my best to learn more about how to project different personalities.

I did plan on finding some good music and background noise, but have not yet made time for that. I have also been doing my best to learn more about how to project different personalities.

What I did for my campaign, is create different folders for various moods of music (adventure, combat, suspense, mystery, sadness, romance, festive) and I did the same for sound effects (jungle, ocean, forest, dungeon, coast, underwater, cave, bad weather).

There's dozens of sites with royalty free music that you can use for your campaigns, such as:

http://www.audiomicro.com/royalty-free-music

http://www.purple-planet.com/mystery/4583971382

http://incompetech.com/music/royalty-free/collections.php

And I get all my sound effects from: https://www.freesound.org/

With sound effects, I usually use a free sound editing program to cut out any stuff that I don't like. Plus you can also download entire sample libraries full of all sorts of stuff you can use in your campaigns.

Lanliss

Explorer
What I did for my campaign, is create different folders for various moods of music (adventure, combat, suspense, mystery, sadness, romance, festive) and I did the same for sound effects (jungle, ocean, forest, dungeon, coast, underwater, cave, bad weather).

There's dozens of sites with royalty free music that you can use for your campaigns, such as:

http://www.audiomicro.com/royalty-free-music

http://www.purple-planet.com/mystery/4583971382

http://incompetech.com/music/royalty-free/collections.php

And I get all my sound effects from: https://www.freesound.org/

I will be using these, thanks for that.

BoldItalic

First Post
Encourage him to formulate his plans during the other players' turns, not wait until his turn comes around to start analyzing options.

jgsugden

Legend
I find the best option to jumps tart roleplaying is isolation, heroics and a softball win with roleplaying. Get the character into a place where they are alone in a situation in which they need to act (likely interact) to best a challenge. Make the path to success obvious. Shine the spotlight on him and make sure there is a huge impact on the game for his efforts... and win or lose it should be a fun impact.

For example, have an enemy wizard call him out in a social (non-combat) setting. The wizard is not interested in talking to his allies. Only him. The wizard has information the party needs, but wants to trade it for something good. A good social encounter result gets them the key information. A bad result turns the wizard into a recurring foil / rival for the PC that shows up and makes things more difiult for the PCs by providing aid,min formation and oher resources to foes of the PCs without actually being present when the PCs fight those enemies until the PCs hunt him down and deal with him. Make sure there is fun treasure to be found as a result of the wizard's interferencee.

Shiroiken

Legend
I have found that most new players start off in the third person and don't worry too much about character personality or background. They live for the moment in the game, which they see as little more than a game (having forgotten the RP part of RPG). IME, most will slowly start expanding their characters to have a personality, and eventually a history, and at some point along the way they stop saying "my character" and start saying "I." I wouldn't push it, however, because everyone goes at there own speed.

Some players will never move beyond a certain point. I know one player who always plays a divine character who is devout. I know another whose every character is an assassin (not the sub-class, but by action). I know another whose personality is always his own, because he can't understand the general concept of being someone else. If you have such a player, you have to decide if you can put up with their idiosyncrasies or not.

manduck

Explorer
I've had a few players who were entirely new to role playing and had this come up. For some people, it just takes a while for them to get comfortable with the game. D&D can be a little complex at times, especially if you're new to gaming. So it make take some time for them to wrap their heads around the rules before feeling comfortable role playing. Once they get more comfortable with their character and see the rest of the group having fun playing their characters, they start to come around. Though to help out, I have some things I do to encourage them to role play and engage the character.

I start with character creation. I have a list of questions that every player gets when creating a character. It tops out at 5 questions at most and I have a few I rotate depending on the game. I don't ask anything about race, class or skills. Rather I ask them about who their character is as a person. I ask them to list a few personality traits, good or bad. I ask them for something they carry around that has sentimental value. I ask who their best friend is or about their family. Things like that. It encourages them to be more creative with their backgrounds and think about their character beyond class and stats. More importantly, it gives them a little slice of the game world that they create. They've just created a few NPCs that exist in the world for the sole purpose of engaging them. They're more likely to care about these NPCs as they created them. Anytime you want to engage the player or add some tension or drama, one of these NPCs shows up. Now you're engaging them. One of my favorite off the wall questions is "what is a quirk or habit your character has?". It can be anything from absentmindedly whistling when bored to some kind of ADD. I played a character who tapped his fingers when bored or frustrated. When I started tapping my fingers, people noticed and knew what it meant. It got me into trouble sometimes too. It just added a layer to the character that wasn't there before and made them more believable.

As a DM, I also find things about their character to engage them. Is the player playing a ranger? Perhaps he meets some hunters out in the wild who invite him to join their lodge. Maybe the wizard gets an exclusive invitation to the great library of a rare book collector. The paladin discovers corruption in his order. Perhaps a well established order wants the paladin or fighter to join their ranks. Maybe the fighter's old war buddy shows up with a problem and needs help. Or take some pages from history, like the Monk's temple is seized by the government when martial arts are outlawed.

When a player builds a character, they're telling you what they want and what interests them. They're even telling you how they want you to mess with them. Do they have an elderly family member they send money to for healing potions and rare herbs? They are telling you they want that family drama and risk to be a part of their character's heroic journey and character arc. Look at what they play and find unique ways to engage them. That puts them in the spotlight and gives them time to shine. They play the hero and can make a real difference while role playing with the toys they gave you. They've done most of the work, just give them what they want and they'll engage it.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I plan to implement the second one in our next session, since you spoiled me. It actually bothered me when my players asked simple questions like "how big are these trees?".

Yeah, I find that once the Q&A approach is pointed out, it's hard to not see it anymore and it starts to get to you. I struggle to enjoy actual play podcasts anymore because of how much this goes on. Generally, the podcast has to be very funny for me to be able to overlook it. It's so jarring in my view to hear the DM describe some awesome moment that demands action and the players start with the 20 Questions.

I was also going to try the character ties, but my players were not interested in it.

Hmm, that's a new one on me. My experience is that this is a feature that players really like.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Wait, what's wrong with the Q&A? Why wouldn't the players want to know the size of the room and how big the obstructions are, etc?

Remove ads