How to justify bikini armour in your game.

Len

Prodigal Member
Does this ever even come up in games that it needs justification? I mean, it’s odd and silly, but if that’s what a player wants for their PC, does anyone else mind?
The linked article doesn't specifically talk about PC's wearing bikinis. In my experience, bikini armour comes up in published artwork. I don't think anyone in my group has ever chosen a chainmail bikini for their own character.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I don't know; I just found the article to which I linked interesting and amusing and thought others here might find it interesting.

okay, we’re all entitled to our own fetish’s but how exactly does one stumble across amusing articles about chain mail bikini?

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
It seems almost like a fantasy philosophy issue ... Can the soldier dressed like the Roman Gladiator or Movie Conan or Red Sonja be practical in a story with soldiers dressed like the Knight in Shining Armor and to a degree the answer its magic actually works relatively well.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I have had players who wanted their characters to be ex gladiators and bare chested wolf barbarians and wandering Samurai (who seem to forget their armors in favor of practice wear) and others for whom the plate armor is best best best armor mode of old era D&D doesn't really work stylistically. The latest 2 editions at least seem less bound by that kind of assumption. Reality doesn't fit fantasy tropes. Magic is one way around but limited when you can also just well ignore it :) and project a fighting style or two that allows parrying to be as good as plates of well fitting metal.

Enrico Poli1

Adventurer
The linked article doesn't specifically talk about PC's wearing bikinis. In my experience, bikini armour comes up in published artwork. I don't think anyone in my group has ever chosen a chainmail bikini for their own character.

Actually, my little sister asked to play a female warrior in bikini chain mail. I was surprised because, really, I didn't suggest in any way this possibility. I do NOT run sexualized play, especially when I have female players.
This made me think. During roleplaying, one can realize his fantasies. And girls want to be sexy.
Think also about cosplay: many crave an occasion to dress as a sex-symbol character.

So bikini chain mail is good especially from the female point of view!

honestly...most anyone who delves into what the two sexes tend to want in a game will find that most male gamers like there to be the occasional female in sexy armor (not all the time because plenty find the lack of realism gets stale) and female gamers tend to like the option to play IN the sexy armor. neurological differences in sexes. its a thing. i've had a lot of female gamers in 3 and 3.5 games bee line for the bard class for EXACTLY this reason. sprinkling bikini armor in is not so bad so long as its sparing IME.

side note: personally i just ignore it when people indulge in this. hurts my immersion (which is the only thing that bugs me). but ignoring works fine.

Last edited:

If any characters in my campaign want to dress sexy, they just wear sexy clothing. But sexy armor is just silly. Either they dress sexy, or they wear armor. But having armor made and fitted in the first place, is expensive enough as it is. You don't waste all that money on a piece of armor and not have the armor have any defensive purpose.

Also a noble may wear elaborate garments that don't have any defensive use, but combine it with a minor piece of armor to protect their throat or chest.

Remove ads