D&D 5E How to not murder my PC's

pming

Legend
Hiya!

Keep the murder-train running.

Seriously. It has been my experience that catering/coddling/going-easy-on the PC's only leads to the Players having warped expectations of play and unbalanced ideas of "difficulty". Next time maybe they'll think more about the group as a whole in stead of focusing on just what they want to play, individually, and trying to force the DM to "fix it all for them so they don't die". That's NOT how a group-oriented game should be; they should be making characters as a GROUP.

That said...: Henchmen and hirelings. They're a thing. ;) Suggest to the Players that they should probably have their PC's hire some burly fighter types to help them with the heavy lifting and general physical protection. Yes, this means giving up part of the treasure and XP (wait...is the XP thing still, er, a "thing" in 5e?...officially?...it is in my game...but not sure if that's core 5e or not).

Adding in NPC Henchmen/Hirelings adds a large dimension to the game. When used well, by a competent DM, it can really ground the PC's to the rest of the inhabitants of the world...and it can form emotional connections with the Players themselves. Using NPC's gives the opportunity for the DM (and Players) to think of more than just the immediate adventure at hand. They have to consider that Joraak Fellhammer, the dwarven Fighter they hired on has a family. Joraak has his own things to worry about...his own goals, his own priorities, and his own hang ups. What if Joraak is severely injured? Well, the actions of the PC's will be of prime consideration, to be sure! If they just drop Joraak off at home, battered and mangled, on the edge of death, with nothing more than a toss of a bag of gold and a "Here's his pay. Thanks!"...word WILL get around that the PC's care only about themselves. This could lead to future "difficulties" in securing outside help.

Anyway, yeah. My suggestion is DON'T "cater to the PC's". Just don't. The world doesn't care what classes/races/spells/etc that the PC's are....and neither should you (the DM). Other than the most basic of basic info (re: "A group of 5, average level of 4th")...your concern should end there. Build/run encounters as you see them and they make sense in your world. If your Players don't have a PC of Race X, Class Y or that has Spell Z....tough noogies for them. In short...it's NOT your job, as DM, to 'fix the world/adventure' for them; you just present it. It's up to the Players to figure out how to succeed. That's the point of the game; DM presents obstacles...Players use their brains to overcome said obstacles. If you're already "pre-selecting" encounters for them to succeed at, then you are robbing them of the key point of playing the game in the first place.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I agree don’t mollycoddle your players, if they chose to play a team of mages then go with it, let them know how they’re likely to fair (badly) and then give them a chance to mitigate IN GAME. Give them more non-combat challenges and remind the players of things they could do - like sneaking can be fun and the Druid bear can deal with melee if they really have to.

pogre

Legend
The only way to know what people prefer is to talk to them and ask, which is something I do in my session 0.
See, I totally agree this is a session zero issue. However, the OP asked for advice for their current situation. Thus, I suggest modifying encounters and not just killing PC(s) to demonstrate a point.

Next part not necessarily responsive to Oofta:
I do consider my PCs when adventure building. However, suggesting that puts my game on "easy mode" would make my players laugh.

I'll be the first to admit I am not a sandbox guy where the 'world is the world - deal with it.' That is a very legitimate playing style, but just not to my or my players' tastes.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I disagree with the notion that "consequence" equals "punishment." Just make sure that they understand the risks that come with the choices they make, and then let the chips fall where they may. A party without a rogue or bard (for example) will struggle with traps and locks, so be loud about that. Let them know that padlocks and poison dart traps aren't going to suddenly become scarce. Maybe they should make friends with the local locksmith? Maybe hire an NPC burglar? Maybe someone should pick up a Thieves' Tools proficiency?

That said: there's nothing wrong with shielding them from consequence if you wish. You can use fewer traps and locked doors if you prefer. If they don't have anyone who can heal, you can sprinkle a few extra healing potions into every treasure hoard, or let them take risk-free long rests. But you shouldn't feel obligated to do so. It's not your job to keep Bad Stuff from happening.

Agreed. But is it the DM's or the players' responsbility to think of using it?

It's no ones responsibility, since it isn't actually a core rule.

If the DM mentions a sign saying "mercenaries for hire" in the town, or a town jobs board, or come across an NPC who offers to accompany the group for mutual protection, or some such, then it's the player's responsibility to decide whether to take advantage of the opportunity or not. But otherwise, no, there is no reason why they should know it's an option.

I don't know the adventure, but I can't imagine there not being a town somewhere where recruits might be found.
If the DM puts it there. It's not exactly real life: butchers, bakers, tavern, mercenary shop isn't your average town high street.

Last edited:

Coroc

Hero
I'm stuck trying to run HOTDQ it's my second time ever doing and I have no PC's that are fighters or any real combat other than magic. Almost every game I find myself rolling crazy high. And my players dying frequently.. is there anyone that can give me a good idea to stop this or to maybe run the campaign setting better

Get yourself some DM dices (weighted dice) intended for a game like DSA where 1 is the best result, I get the impression from your post you might use weighted (for 20) dice unknowingly, an average of 16 during 7h is neigh impossible.

If you are sure its just your gambling luck then play lottery, but do not tell anyone if you really win the jackpot :p

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Here is a very easy rule to remember in HotDQ that will probably help you from not killing the PCs repeatedly in the early going:

If up to this point you have been rolling all of the Kobold's attacks with Advantage due to their Pack Tactics feature... remember that their Sunlight Sensitivity feature gives all of their attack rolls with Disadvantage and thus the advantage and disadvantage both cancel each other out.

If you have your kobolds attack while they are outside during the day, they will hit the PCs less often and not be as deadly.

Here is a very easy rule to remember in HotDQ that will probably help you from not killing the PCs repeatedly in the early going:

If up to this point you have been rolling all of the Kobold's attacks with Advantage due to their Pack Tactics feature... remember that their Sunlight Sensitivity feature gives all of their attack rolls with Disadvantage and thus the advantage and disadvantage both cancel each other out.

If you have your kobolds attack while they are outside during the day, they will hit the PCs less often and not be as deadly.

However, the dragon hatchery is definitely in a cave.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
However, the dragon hatchery is definitely in a cave.
If necessary... the DM can move the kobolds outside into the canyon and the humans inside the hatchery. Or do any of the other options other people have offered up about reducing numbers / strength.

Hopefully the DM just doesn't follow some of the other recommendations of "Let the party die so they learn their lesson for next time about not bringing a Fighter!" Because being that callous about it could very well mean there won't be a next time. The new players might very well decide "Wow, this game kinda sucks. I don't think I want to play it anymore." :)

Remove ads