D&D 5E How to not murder my PC's

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Seeing as how the entire game of D&D is built around combat (90% of a character's stats and equipment are geared toward combat and one of the three rulebooks are entirely filled with enemies written for combat)... to suggest "hey, just avoid all the combats!" isn't exactly realistic. And dare I say, probably not that helpful either. ;)

No, but some combats can be avoided. There are also different ways to overcome enemies other than physically fighting them. Also, the core three specifically state that avoiding a fight gains the same amount of XP as long as the obstacle is truly overcome.

Oofta

Legend
Some people enjoy games where you avoid risk at all cost. See some of the other threads about 5E being easy where people discuss OSR gaming and deadly traps.

Other people find that boring, and not a game they would want to play.

If the players don't want to play the "avoid combat at all costs" game then there's no reason to force them to play that style. Adjust the lethality of the game to match the competency of the players.

Last edited:

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Are any of the PCs the Sneaky type? Do illusions or Stealth come into play often? How about Pass Without Trace (which at night should go a long way towards letting averagely quiet characters poke around)? Does anybody have Prestidigitation and realize the "bad smell" feature could be Troglodyte Stench (which will surely give the camp leaders something else to think about) or just a plain ol' skunk? Or cast Darkness at night; who will notice the difference (unless the moon is on the horizon and they cause an 'eclipse')?
If your players come up with some outrageous stunt to pull, roll with it for a bit then have the foes gradually realize they've been conned.

I am detecting a bit of Jock type elitism on this thread: "you aren't very good at sport so you don't deserve to be on the team".

The truth is, some players are tactically inept.

But whatever the skill level of the players, the first and foremost responsibility of the DM is to make sure the players are having fun.

The trick I use to keep fights fair and balanced, is to provide lots of strategic options that allow players to tilt the odds in their favor. I provide options for stealth and surprise attacks, along with environmental objects that the players can use against their opponents. I also design my battles in a way that includes high ground and cover locations.

Also, not every enemy needs to be an active combatant. While a few enemies are fighting, a couple of others could be busy securing an objective. Maybe an enemy is running towards an alarm bell, to call for reinforcements, and the players can intercept him. But the reinforcements may actually be some of the enemies that were originally intended for the encounter that you set aside. So you give the players an option to reduce the number of simultaneous foes.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

I'm confused, I thought killing the players was the goal?

Maybe I've been doing this DM thing all wrong...

Holy moly dude! That's called murder and it is, as far as I know, illegal virtually everywhere here on earth...not to mention it's just bad form. Seriously! DO NO go around trying to recruit PLAYERS for a D&D game, and then when they all arrive at your place to make CHARACTERS, try to poison them or something. You'll never get decent PLAYERS, or rather any PLAYERS, to show up at your game and make CHARACTERS. I mean, CHARACTERS kinda need PLAYERS to create them...otherwise you just have blanke CHARACTER sheets sitting at the empty chairs where your now dead PLAYERS corpses are.

Now...if I totally read that wrong and you actually meant "I'm confused, I thought killing CHARACTERS was the goal?".....well, whoopsie! My bad. Sorry for the suggestion that you may be a mass murder trying to use a D&D game as a means of luring potential victims to your house.

;)

(NOTE: See the winkie-emote there? Just wanted to point that out... :) ).

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Remove ads