How to organize a gaming group?

Staffan

Legend
My gaming group has had a group on Facebook for quite a while. It's been mostly practical, seeing as Facebook has been pretty ubiquitous. But as of late, some of the players have expressed a desire to get off Facebook for various reasons, and I can't really fault them for that seeing as [redacted rant].

So now I'm looking around for options for organizing a small number of people in a format where we can chat about stuff, create events for the gaming nights, and stuff like that. Ideally it should be accessible both via the web and apps on iOS/Android. Free is preferable. Any suggestions for things like that?

Len

Prodigal Member
We use Obsidian Portal and I highly recommend it. It's not free but only one person has to pay. For each campaign you get a web site with a wiki, character pages (including fillable sheets for many systems), a "story hour" blog, DM-player secrets, a private forum and an event calendar. It's a web site, not an app, but it formats pretty well on a phone. Some of the features (including forum & calendar) require the GM to have a paid membership ($50/yr) but players are free.

pogre

Legend
I use Facebook too. However, I just have my gaming group as friends. I use FB only for gaming and miniatures groups. Perhaps your friends can pretty much leave FB except for gaming?

I use email and text messages for information I really need players to know.

shawnhcorey

wizard
Myth Weavers is free but has no app, only web site. Each game has is a separate forum. This allows you to create folders and threads to your heart's content. It has a public wiki. It also has character sheets integrated into the game for your convenience (you don't have to use them if you don't want to). It has generators for: dungeons, caves, NPCs, town, and treasure. It has a built-in dice roller. It is aimed at D&D but other systems are easy to run there too.

Last edited:

BlackSeed_Vash

Explorer
My group switched from Facebook shortly before 2016. We've been using an PC/Android/IPhone app called Slack. While it's meant for business use, the free version provides everything we need to plan group gatherings, PMs, etc.

Discord. You can setup your own free "server", control access to it, have multiple channels for different things, Run voice, video and screen sharing (I think) when you want. Performance is good, no advertising.

Remove ads