How to save content?

SuperTD

Explorer
I'm pretty sure I'm not going to like the answer, but what is the easiest/quickest way of saving large threads? For instance, there's a thread with close to 1800 home-made traps ( This one ) that's been going for the last 8 years or so, and it would be a terrible shame for it to be lost to the abyss.

Right click and select all will get a whole page, so try setting you account for the max posts viewed at once and that'll cut the work, but you'll get scrapes non-post content.
I remember the old forums had an option to save a thread, maybe one exists for logged in people?
[edit]
You also can save the whole page.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yeah, sadly it's not a great answer. You can copy/paste the whole thing; or your browser can save web pages as html files. Getting it up here on EN World is a little more tedious, sadly (though I understand [MENTION=3586]MerricB[/MENTION] is working on some kind of conversion script to help speed up the process?)

Ferghis

First Post
Would it be possible for enworld to recognize some of the code and adopt it? The spoiler tag seems to be the biggest problem so far.

EDIT: not that this is the most urgent thing at the moment.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I might be able to do some of it, but I'm not familiar with WotC's codes/tags. And any which overlaps with existing ENW tags won't work for obvious reasons - changing those would mess up existing EN World posts.

Ferghis

First Post
Right click and select all will get a whole page, so try setting you account for the max posts viewed at once and that'll cut the work, but you'll get scrapes non-post content.
I remember the old forums had an option to save a thread, maybe one exists for logged in people?
[edit]
You also can save the whole page.

As far as I can tell with the preview, this doesn't save the color coding, which is essential and vital for the guides. Is there a trick to that? Or do we recolor everything by hand?

JetstreamGW

Explorer
As far as I can tell with the preview, this doesn't save the color coding, which is essential and vital for the guides. Is there a trick to that? Or do we recolor everything by hand?

Well if the BBcode is the same, if you click reply with quote, it should save all the formatting on the quote, right? It's boring as hell but you could copy every single post and move them to a new post.

Am I wrong? Would this not work?

Ferghis

First Post
Well if the BBcode is the same, if you click reply with quote, it should save all the formatting on the quote, right? It's boring as hell but you could copy every single post and move them to a new post.

As far as I can tell, this does not work. The WotC forums use mostly hypertext markup, and very little BBCode. In other words, colors are coded using html tags, not BBcode, so each bit of colored text has to be recoded in BBcode. Since the guide choices are rated in colors, this makes transferring that piece of info extremely laborious.

Less vital, but still laborious, is recoding spoilered or hidden text, the code of which also doesn't translate. Honestly, for the moment, it would be enough just to show all the hidden text, select, copy and paste it over here, since that would include the spoilered or hidden text as plain regular text, but it yields extremely long posts.

If you really want that you'll probably has to save the web page for the time being. However, I've seen a few forums that will cross over embedded codes like color tags, but this is not one of them.

Multiquoting a whole page would be possible, but it would take forever.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
If you really want that you'll probably has to save the web page for the time being. However, I've seen a few forums that will cross over embedded codes like color tags, but this is not one of them.

We use standard BB code, used by most forum software for that very reason. From the sounds of it, WotC doesn't?

Remove ads