• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How traffic lights affect my iPod

Galethorn

First Post
EricNoah said:
Wouldn't it be better to live in a world where weird stuff happens and we just don't know why?

Those of us in the sciences like to ruin it for everyone else. Everyone ignores us, so I think it's all square in the end.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
EricNoah said:
Wouldn't it be better to live in a world where weird stuff happens and we just don't know why? :D

No matter how many things "science" figures out we will always live in that world, Eric. . . Even the "reasons" we can determine are just how the universe interacts with our senses and tools (which are an extension of our senses/reason) and needn't remove any of the wonder from just how awesome, bizarre and absurd the cosmos really is. . . :)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
el-remmen said:
No matter how many things "science" figures out we will always live in that world, Eric. . . Even the "reasons" we can determine are just how the universe interacts with our senses and tools (which are an extension of our senses/reason) and needn't remove any of the wonder from just how awesome, bizarre and absurd the cosmos really is. . . :)

I find that knowing more increases wonder. For example, I understand quantum mechanics - I can do the math that determines electron orbitals, and that gets you the basic underpinnings of chemistry.

Knowing how it works on that level makes living things downright miraculous. The sheer number of things that have to happen to make something live, the scale of it is astounding....

Remove ads