D&D General How Was Your Last Session?

Azuresun

Adventurer
Back to the Thule game, and the PC's accepted the mission from the Atlantean noblewoman. She offered them a generous purse and free transport across the Kalayan Sea, and must have seem trustworthy enough for the PC's to take her up on it. She explained she was looking for a sunken elf city, which contained one of their legendary world gates, and needed a key to unlock the gate (last seen in the clutches of a group of vicious headhunters in the Phoori swamps), and the map to the exact location of the city (said to be in the tower of a mage named Ix, in mountains now heavily glaciated). They also accepted the same mission from the crime boss, so that's probably going to be a conflict down the line. :sneaky:

They travelled to the glacier (running into a giant carnivorous sloth along the way), and ascended the mountains, reaching the ice sheet and finding unsettling evidence that someone else had been here, such as a mountain goat with its throat cut and its blood drained. A few survival rolls later, and they encountered a mysterious pit in the ice from which a frost worm exploded!

jasper

Rotten DM
ok, well all I did was a pc was lay some land mine type spells for the siege. But I did manage to tick off one player when I interrupted the dm. i need an official name for the type. He will try to pump the dm for information before using his turn. EX With my 20 INT would I know what type of spell they casted? I am 12 th level would my level give me a clue if Dispel Magic will work? After a few rounds of him pumping, I just yelled, "Just burn a FREAKING Action and make an arcana check! OR any type of check". The Siege went belly up. The bad guys broke off into two groups. The main army keeping us worried about the siege. The small patrol when to a near by lake and cast a gate like spell. Opening a gate from the bottom of the lake to just above the keep. Trying to drown the keep, and blow down the walls with water pressure. We with the help of one gawd was able to knock enough holds in the three ring keep to keep most of civilians from drowning.
I had chosen a mixture of cleric heal/attack spells but since the bad guys never came within range, I made some new friends with the army in the keep.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The session today was... glorious.

The adventure itself wasn't astounding - the last two sessions were all action, and today was mostly a "get to know the people and place of the new town we are in".

The weather, however, was amazing. In New England in November, you don't expect sunny and 73F. But we got it - which meant that we could manage at least one more socially-distanced outdoor session in before the cold comes in earnest.

And then, at the end of the session, the sun was setting, in glorious gold, red, and purple. It made the autumn trees seem to glow. Outstanding!

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Our last session was pretty bad--it never happened.

One of our players is supposed to be taking over DMing for a while to try his hand at it. One guy couldn't make it (family stuff), so myself and another player met at 4 PM at my place. The new DM was supposed to arrive around 4 as well. Now, this guy is notorious for being late, but by 5 PM the two of us were like WTF. We hung out, chit-chatted, etc., and at 7 PM called it a night.

Now, we never received a text, e-mail, fb message, phone call, nothing from our new DM. A few days later and still no explanation for leaving us waiting. Finally, since we play at my place, and after discussing it with the other two members of our live game, five days later I made the call and told the guy he was no longer invited to play with us. It was pretty rude and disrespectful to leave us hanging and make no attempts or effort for explanation or apology.

So, our 4-member live game is down to 3 people now. It sucks as players are hard to find here, but frankly we're tired of him showing up 1-2 hours late or, in this case, not at all.

Vael

Legend
So, the climatic battle happened (I've been running Dragon Heist). A fight with the Simulacrum of Manshoon and his Zhentarim agents in the ancient dwarven vaults over possession of the horde of gold.

The main thing that tripped me up was that I kept screwing up the scale of the vault. The map's squares are 10ft squares ... which meant when the Harper allies arrived in round 3, they were still 4 rounds of full movement from actually assisting in combat. And given they are all purely melee combatants ...

That said, my players did pretty well and managed to win the day without the help of the Harpers. Hunger of Hadar from the two Warlocks locked down areas, despite Manshoon running around under greater invisibility. The Dwarven Paladin is practically immortal, and with 2 Rogues and 2 Warlocks, the party's DPS is pretty impressive. (6 PCs: 1 Paladin, 1 Moon Druid, 2 Rogues and 2 Warlocks).

107th session of my Storm King's Thunder/Tyranny of Dragons/Scales of War mashup. Player characters started the session at 17th level, then hit 18th level, and reached 19th level by the end. I only allow level ups during long rests, which is what created the strange pacing. This session advanced and nearly resolved multiple dangling plot threads as we near the climax of the campaign.

The PCs have been playing through an extended dreamlike flashback sequence where the elf arcane trickster rogue learned that he and his evil twin sister are actually two halves of Erevan Ilesere, the elven god of trickery. Long ago, Erevan was caught looting Tiamat's treasure hoard on Avernus, the first layer of Hell. As punishment, Tiamat's minions executed Erevan with a mythic sword -- the mythic sword that split the dragon god Io in half, resulting in the creation of Tiamat and Bahamut. But Erevan didn't die. Instead, he was metaphysically split in two, and his two halves took mortal form in Faerun, with no knowledge or memory of their true nature. Now the rogue knows who he is...and who's responsible for making him that way.

Additionally, the PCs now know Tiamat's ultimate aim -- to slay Bahamut with the mythic sword and assume his divine portfolio, raising herself over all dragons across the multiverse.

Emerging from the dream sequence, the PCs found themsleves in the Temple of Mischief, a sacred place to Erevan. But they were not alone. Waiting in ambush for them were their clones!

To back up a bit, the middle of this campaign featured Manshoon and the Zhentarim as primary antagonists. In my Realms, there is (well, was) a true Manshoon -- with a near-infinite number of clones that were psychically connected to him. The PCs finally defeated Manshoon and his clones...but they learned that he had cloned the PCs. Finally, those clones have appeared. Their goal: Slay the PCs in the Temple of Mischief and absorb their souls!

Mechanically, I designed the clones so that when the clones took damage, the PCs would take psychic damage equal to half that amount. I assumed it would result in a very difficult fight. It did not. The players won handily through intelligent use of plane shift, forcecage, etc. The paladin's clone, ranger's clone, and sorcerer's clone were all quickly dispatched. Intriguingly, the rogue's clone was sent to the Astral Plane via plane shift. That's now a dangling plot thread that may or may not get resolved.

But then something interesting happened with the halfling bard's clone. The "real" bard is actually not what he appears to be. His body has been possessed by the soul of an amoral half-elf bard who died in battle with the PCs long ago. The halfling bard's soul is trapped in Hell. The other PCs have figured out most of this but have been keeping it secret while they determine what to do about it. Due to the clone's psychic connection to the original, he could sense something was wrong with the "real" bard and he blurted that out to the PCs, forcing a confrontation between the party and the possessing soul.

Concurrently, the half-elf bard's soul has been plotting to use wish and true polymorph to transform the halfling's body into a half-elven body. Which would leave the halfling's soul without a body to return to. But now...there's a halfling clone body with no soul. Which is kind of a great fit for a halfling soul with no body. It's like they were made for each other.

None of this was planned by me, by the way. It just...happened.

The PCs spent the rest of the session arguing with the now-exposed amoral half-elven bard (and each other) about what to do next. The more they talked about it, the more they decided he was more useful as an ally than as an enemy. So I think they're going to work together to get the halfling's soul out of Hell and meld it with the clone body.

Lots of unexpected developments!

Last edited:

Schmoe

Adventurer
I have two games going right now, both in 3.5E.

The first game is for my younger kids plus the neighbor and his kids. They are our "safe harbor" family and the only group of people we see in person, so our game sessions are still in person. The last session was the night before Halloween and I had written up a Ravenloft-style haunted house. The night started out normal, with them traveling back to civilization from a dungeon. When they camped one night, the mists moved in, and I dimmed the lights... A strange tower that wasn't there before appeared, and a little boy ran out to them asking for help. The party followed, but once they were in the tower they became trapped, and what was once just a normal, cozy tower was revealed to be an abandoned, haunted place. That's when I turned on the creepy background noise... The kids freaked out, it was a high-energy night full of tension and excitement, and it was probably one of the best sessions I've ever run.

The second game is a group of work associates, plus my older son and a few of his friends. It has been virtual via Roll20, and we've been meeting for 2 hours every other week. I'm running them through Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil right now (somewhat modified), and they are exploring the moathouse ruins. They spent an hour at the hidden shrine talking about what they could do, never actually did anything, and then left. Then they came across a trapped wall that had been left by the cultists, discussed what to do about it for 45 minutes before doing probably one of the dumbest things they could, then headed back to town. It was about that point that I got fed up and told them point blank that with 2 hour sessions, if they are just going to sit around saying "we could do this" and "we could do that" without actually doing anything, they aren't going to get very far.

Ugh. It's definitely a bad case of analysis paralysis, and being remote doesn't help because everyone feels detached to begin with.

pemerton

Legend
On Sunday we played a session of Classic Traveller, with a situation loosely inspired by a line from the Bob Dylan song Isis: We came to the pyramids all embedded in ice.

Full writeup here.

Eric V

Hero
The heroes succeeded in finding the secret lair of the Cult of the Devourer...said cult being much more active than they initially surmised. After a pitched battle, they cut them all down, but found out that the Secret Masters of the Stone Thief were aware of them specifically; they were no longer faceless adventurers but now known threats that needed to be dealt with. Recovering from the fight, they set out to start gathering components to make a weapon to use against the living dungeon.

Session was going really well until a rule issue came up; in 13th Age when you get knocked out, you start making Last Gasp Saves and if you roll 16+ on them, you're back in the fight (think Aragorn in the fight in Balin's Tomb after being knocked out by the cave troll). Well, we all forgot the rule (except my son); I seemed to remember something about rolling 16+, but I couldn't quite remember all of it and had to keep the battle going.

My son looks it up and informs us. Most agree to give the unconscious character one action then get back to initiative, but one player started making passive-aggressive remarks about how his character's whole turn would have been different, and I was like...I don't have a TARDIS. What do you want me to do? Besides, we all forgot the rule...anyway, brought things down a bit. Too bad, because we had good momentum going.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases