D&D General How Was Your Last Session?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Last night's session was... a bit ignoble.

A team of 1st level adventurers is returning from an expedition to a tomb. On the way through the woods, we encounters bears. Normal bears. Not, like, aberration or undead bears or anything. Just bears.

We try to sneak past, but in a group of 7 characters, you just know someone's going to roll a 2 on their stealth check, and the bears will notice you. And then, because some adventurers don't know the meaning of "restraint", a fight is gonna start, and the bears, who were minding their own business until we started pounding on them, end up dead.

It topped us up to level 2, but... there was no glory in it.

Reynard

Legend
I had an extremely unsatisfying play experience last night. This was with my regular IRL group gone Fantasy grounds-- we have been playing together for over 10 years and we trade DMing every once in a while. The current DM is new to DMing on Fantasy grounds and not necessarily always as prepared as he could be. We are playing through the Beginner Box adventures.

My character is a treasure hunter -- a dwarf ranger focused on going in holes and pulling out loot. He seems to be completely ineffectual based largely on my dice rolling, and while he has a lot of hit points he has a low AC and makes for a good target. About a half hour into the session I got dropped and ended up in spectator mode for most of the next hour and a half as the party fought a desperate battle against a bunch of were-rats.

Now, the unsatisfying part wasn't getting dropped. that was frustrating, but it was just the result of the dice and the way the tactical situation emerged (we split the party a little too much). But as the battle progressed, no other players made it a priority to help me back to my feet, and in fact the wizard made it impossible with a web spell he could have placed in a way that still got the bad guys and kept me out of it. Another player was really disengaged which means he just made his attack rolls on his turns rather than taking useful actions in a pretty dangerous scenario. And on top of it, after the DM dropped me he suddenly went "kid gloves" so it was obvious that it should have been a TPK but wasn't because he started making really suboptimal tactical choices for the bad guys.

I'm just venting. I was both bored and frustrated and engaging in some internal "I would have done it this way if I were running it!" The more I am a player in 5E the less I like the way the math gives the dice so much power over the outcomes, especially for characters that rely on a single attack roll. Between Colossus Slayer and Hunter's MArk my hunter should be almost as dangerous as the rogue and failing it hit over and over again is frustrating.

Due to a recovering sick kid, it was a short session. My players finally investigated the caravan enough to learn everybody's names, though. Also, our half-orc acquaintance came up with a plan to raid one of the wagons that may or may not be a cultist wagon, so I need to prep some decent loot, just in case he gets some good rolls.

Newbies realizing that literally everything is possible in D&D. As they descended into the Underdark on a mercenary mission, the amazement in the players' eyes as they realized that how their own choices had lead to this. Awesome.

Party literally killed a plot hook that I had prepared. Then misinterpreted another plot hook, turning a good guy NPC into a bad guy. But we laughed a lot.

No clue what will happen next session. As it should be. (y)
In the background, some big events are moving in the world, so as a DM I will be prepared, I hope.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I'm going to sum up my last session in a picture and hopefully a lot less than a thousand words.
Liontree sphynx to the winter realm.jpg

So in my Masks of the Imperium game, the party is attempting a speed run across the Feywild to get back to the material plane because they found out that their liege, the Child-Empress Olixia, has had her uncle installed as a regent over her due to corruption in the Council of Nobles.

They've gone through various illusions and not-like-the-material planes part in the Gloaming Court (a/k/a Dreaming Court). They recently had been told where someone who could unlock a portal to the Winter Court, and their Eladrin knew how to get home from there. Unfortunately it involved waking up someone who had been cursed to slumber for a thousand years for rudeness. Which they had accomplished last session, but unfortunately an alarm had been sounded and the end of last session was them regrouping and hearing the horns of a Wild Hunt after them racing through the sky.

They use some of their last spell slots for Pass without Trace, and the druid wildshapes into a giant elk which is ... not quite stealthy at Huge size. But kept rolling in the high 20s.

They vacated the area at speed, searching for a flower neeeded to open the portal according to their guide, a charming dandy of an Eladrin named Jelaween, as a male tribute to the Dolly Parton song Jolene. (Though he'd go after their husband or wife. The paladin turned him down with "too male" and got called provincial.) [Side note - we have multiple married couples in the groups and the RL wife of the paladin's player was laughing her head off and encouraging this. Normally we don't end up in the ribald.]

The flowers weren't there, the druid established that the river had shifted in the 80-someodd years he'd actually been asleep and it was too wet. Most of the party took off again on giant elk-back, while the ranger - who could move full speed stealthily because were in their favored terrain - went hunting for the flower. She found some, negotiated with a dryad for them, and caught back up. In the meantime the party had attracted some attention of flyers who were above but hadn't located anyone - but were close.

The party went on, came across a bridge across a small chasm and river guarded by four archers and a few tiny faeries. The bard is an Eladrin of some fame, and the alarm was for "outsiders". So the paladin lent his armor to the dandy to hide his face, and half the group riding the giant elk druid tried to bluff their way across. This lead to a performance, during which the rest of the party snuck down below - which was patrolled by water weirds. Long story short, the Order of the Paladin watcher managed to turn all three, and do so stealthily enough not to be heard over the impromptu concert above, and make it across.

They continued, and had their first bad luck with stealth. The giant elk druid rolled a 1. "Good thing I'm a halfling". Reroll. Another 1. Oh no.

They book it out of there, the ranger casting longstrider for 70ft of Giant Elk movement. They had alerted those in the sky, but the Yeth Hounds only had a fly speed of 40' and were left behind to go get their masters.

After a chase/stealth skill challenge was resolved, at the edge of the verdant forest they found what they called The Lion Tree, who wanted their names to know whom it talked to and then gave them a riddle. The party was able to figure it out, and so didn't have to fight the sphynx to get into the winter realm.

Technically note - this group uses Zoom for audio/visual, and google draw for images and maps with all the players having edit access so they can move their image tokens. We just trust each other's rolls. I went to paste the riddle in a text box after reading it in a suitable tree lion vioce, and one of my players showed me he could do a voice bubble. So that's where the picture came from.

Tree gathered in all the light, split into an aurora, and opened a portal to the realms of the winter court. I had pictures for all - I picture the Feywild as very saturated, very vibrant. So I made sure form a DMign perspective that I had tons of gorgeous pictures for everything they saw.

In the winter realm they met a noble with an entourage, alerted by the Verdant Prince who they can rescued the slumberer from. She say to call her Gilli of the Frost, and allowed that she was known in the mortal realm as Frosty Jill. She was a lover of Jelaween whom he had broken a promise of "I'll be back soon". Various RP went on, but they left him to his fate (though that wasn't a popular decision among everyone), and left. They had a long discussion about which portal to take back - there were three possible with various degress of distance fromt he capital and obviousness that someone was coming through. They settled ont he one three days upriver from the capital, but at a very public location. They went through, three in disguise and two hidden by invisibility, only to have they days of effort in the Feywild that they did not feel int eh timelessness hit them all at once.

We left with them near the capital, with two levels of exhaustion each, and being approached. We'll find out more next week as they figure out how to rescue the Child-Empress, and what to do after that.

120th session. Just a few sessions away from the end of this campaign. 5 player characters. 20th level with 6 epic boons each.

Tiamat has escaped Hell and is rampaging across the heaven of Celestia. She's slain Bahamut and absorbed his divine portfolio. Aiding her is Glasya, archdevil of the 6th layer of Hell, and mother to the PC tiefling shadow sorcerer.

In this session, Glasya is holed up in Bahamut's Palace. The PCs have to get through her to reach Tiamat. The palace is full of devils who watch silently as the PCs approach the Throne of Bahamut. Glasya lounges atop the throne, a goblet of wine in one hand and the head of Ilmater in the other. Ilmater is the god of the PC vengeance paladin.

Glasya tells the PCs that she wants their help in betraying Tiamat. Glasya intends to slay the dragon goddess with the mythical Sword of Io, become a god herself, and rule Celestia. If the PCs help, they will be rewarded. If they do not help, she has a unique way to make each of them pay. The PCs had been previously tricked by Glasya and so they're in no mood for deals. The fight was on.

However, Glasya owned the soul of the PC whispers bard. She turned him against the other PCs. I was really excited to have the bard do a beatdown on the party using his signature move of transforming into a CR18 Walking Statue of Waterdeep...but the lore bard won initiative and swiftly eliminated the whispers bard with Feeblemind. Dang. Fortunately there were four CR20 pit fiends. Absolutely brutal with their four attacks, ongoing poison damage, and 300hp. The pit fiends came close several times to dropping a PC but somehow never quite got there. By the end of the session the PCs had turned the tide and were on the offensive.

I'm mulling over what comes next. I think Glasya can see that she's not going to win this fight and is likely to make her escape while looking for an opportunity to take advantage of PCs vs Tiamat.

Next session: More fighting with devils!

jasper

Rotten DM
Bob one of my autistic has talked a lot junk about the Hero's Feast book. He talked himself into doing the trout Recipe but a strange thing happen. Some of the other players stepped up to buy the fish. I collected him early and took pictures of him making the flour breading and other parts. Pics so people knew he did most of it. I did end up doing the frying because of his balance issues.
And it was his birthday. We blew him off during the week. Because various players step up and started planning his party.

Zardnaar

Legend
Sort of rebuilt OCs and started a new campaign at level 7. Old PCs were 7 wasn't working so changed the theme.

Return to the City of the Spider Queen.

Drow Campaign, Szith Morcane.

2 clerics of Elistraee (twilight, light)
1 Paladin of Elistraee (redemption)
1 Githyanki Psi Warrior.

Kobold illusionist afk this week.

No combat session mostly social and social/exploration exploring Szith Morcane.

Interacted with numerous NPCs, saw Lolthites cast magic to feed the population. Found Vhaeruns symbol hiding in a fresco, and a description of a vampire cleric of Kiransalee. Found a Drow male child one of her victims and a goblin skull with a smashed skull consistent with a Mind Flayer.

Githyanki met a Mind Flayer in the bazaar who tried to provoke him into a fight. Then invited him to dinner.
Interacted with a Drow merchant who dropped some heavy hints about Assassinating a priestess of Lolth. He is a priest of Vhaerun.

Finally they arranged a meeting with Solom Ned'razak who learnt of Dorinas return. He has a task for then to deal with her and suggested reclaiming Maerimydra.

Next week have a cleric of Lolth burst in and demand some stuff basically giving the PCs a grand tour if the important NPCs.

Also tied what happened in CotSQ to my wife's first PC all the way back in 2003 as she was the one who struck done Irae T'sarren but I don't think she remembers any details beyond what her PC was (3.0 duelist).

She's the last remnant of that group.

jasper

Rotten DM
Tuesday nigh session was interesting. And I had some forewarning. One player wants to step up and dm. With us as monsters. We will be switching between my campaign and his. And if the players like his better, I willing to totally give up the chair on Tuesday.
My co-DM step up. Running the final fights and rooms in Chapter 1 of Baldur's gate. He wanted to add a CR 4 demon. I just told him drop the hp to half. Poor demon was defeated by ball bearings for five rounds. So could not get into melee range.

22nd session in my ongoing campaign that started with Dragon of Icespire Peak. Six PCs at 5th level. Only four players showed up tonight, but that was enough for a quorum.

Previously, the PCs defeated the dragon of Icespire Peak, claimed the magical Dragonspear from its hoard, and killed the orc warparty that tried to seize the Dragonspear.

In this session, they traveled to Axeholm, the lair of the orc warchief. The warchief is the father of the PC half-orc vengeance paladin. Both of his fullbooded sons have been slain by the paladin. The warchief holds a fragment of a magical artifact that the PCs are trying to reassemble, although they're not quite sure what it does.

Using magic, they disguised themselves as the orc warparty and bluffed their way inside Axeholm. They claimed to have taken the paladin prisoner and obtained the other three pieces of the mysterious artifact. They asked the warchief to give them the fourth and final piece. But the warchief only had eyes for the Dragonspear. He wanted it; they gave it to him. He turned and handed the spear to his wife, who transformed into a hawk and flew away with it.

She is taking the spear to a place called Xul-Jarak, where a mighty orc warrior named Thrull will use it to summon legions of orcs to ravage the North. The PCs don't know that yet...but they're starting to get a funny feeling. This is set up for Sons of Gruumsh, a nifty little Chris Perkins adventure from 3E.

Meanwhile, the warchief had seen through their ruse. He gave them the fourth piece of the artifact and said they would next meet as enemies on the battlefield. They should go now with their lives. Which they did.

However, the half-orc had some words with his father. He learned that his treacherous half-brother was the warchief's captive and has become a wretched creature like Reek from Game of Thrones. He also learned that the murder of his adoptive parents could be linked to something called "The Dark Hand" in Neverwinter. Finally, he learned that the warchief's wife wants revenge for the death of her two sons at the paladin's hand.

Assembling the artifact, the PCs sense it pulling them toward the ruins of Castle Phandalin...

The party returned to Phandalin to claim their reward for slaying the dragon of Icespire Peak. They found the town in the midst of a huge party. In the center of the town square was the head of the dragon. And a party of adventurers. Who were in the process of claiming the reward that rightfully belonged to the PCs. And telling false stories of their heroic exploits! Without hesitation, the paladin drew his blade and attacked...

Next session: Roll for initiative!

Remove ads