D&D General How Was Your Last Session?

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
That sounds like a great session @THEMNGMNT! Just the kind of complication I like to throw at players and that, in the role of player, I love engaging with.

My newbie group recently passed on a mission offered to them by the town prefect they've worked with before but they refused in order to go do something else. The prefect was like, "Okay, but I will probably have to hire someone else to do it. Nothing personal."

They shrugged.

When and if they get back to town they are gonna discover a rival party getting feted by the town, when they are the ones used to getting the attention. The complication will just be their pride and the fact that the other group are not evil, just competitors for the same kinds of jobs. Ideally, at some future date they will have to swallow their pride and team-up with them - or consider it and not - but either way should be fun.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
The prefect was like, "Okay, but I will probably have to hire someone else to do it. Nothing personal."

They shrugged.

When and if they get back to town they are gonna discover a rival party getting feted by the town, when they are the ones used to getting the attention. The complication will just be their pride and the fact that the other group are not evil, just competitors for the same kinds of jobs. Ideally, at some future date they will have to swallow their pride and team-up with them - or consider it and not - but either way should be fun.
Something I don't see enough of (or use myself) but that I really love - rivals. Oh so much fun.

You know, I think I'm inspired to insert some in my Coasts and Borders campaign.

Blue

Last session of Coasts and Borders campaign went well. After a storm and ghost-pirate journey, our intrepid band ended in a small picturesque town of Skahm, which primary claim to fame as far at the party is concerned is that it is near the base of the tallest peak in the land. The drow rogue was following a vision they had of Eilistraee. They were accompanied by the three bronze dragon wyrmlings (well, slightly older, up to 4HD) they rescued from a powerful fey.

They were trying to be there before the first night of the full moon, giving them not much time to scale the peak after getting climbing gear and supplementing their cold weather gear (it's mid-winter), and getting warned about yetis. They decided to pass on both reindeer pack animals and a dog sled, going for speed and the strength of their dragonborn barbarian who came from a tundra tribe.

This was an extended skill test over multiple days of the climb, also made harder by choices to push hard (go the pace set by the faster two), go normal (go the pace set by the normal two), or go easy and reduce the DC. And also to push on for an extra half-march after dark. The pace set DCs against exhaustion levels, there was also checks for dealing with hazards and navigation. Oh, and once they reached a certain height it was also thin air which they had to acclimate to (which took time - did they want to slow down?) and was giving them disadvantage against exhaustion levels.

So, in the middle of this, one night they all collapse asleep. The drow rogue, who trances, has last watch by themselves. They don't hear anyone approaching, but suddenly hear a female voice speaking undercommon with a drow accent and can barely make her out. She says that the drow should follow her to caverns within the peak that will bring them to the top. But it is for the anointed only and will have to leave the rest of the party behind. But could bring the wyrmlings.

The drow, missing multiple warnings, complies. So the only one on watch successfully sneaks out of the camp, leaving everyone else asleep. They leave a note attached to the dragonborn's horn.

The drow woman leads the rogue to a cave not to far away. The drow misses the humanoid bones on the floor. Once sufficiently in that there is no hint of moonlight (Elistraee has moonlight among her portfolio), she turns and lets out a dreadful wail of pain and anger at the drow and the dragons. Two wyrmlings immediately fall, one is hurt, and the drow is reduced to three HPs from 25.

Please roll initiative.

This was a lightly modified banshee, with a wail [recharge 6] that did 5d6 psychic damage instead of just reducing the target to zero but still did half damage on a save. And also one that could keep up an living visage in dim light or darkness.

Decades before, she had been a drow hunter, tasked by her matron mother to make sure that a fleeing drow did not get to this shrine of Elistraee. Her and her hunting spider follwed the drow up the mountain, but were killed. He hatred and the power of the matron mother would not release her spirit, and she had been haunting the mountain ever since, killing the occasional drow trying to go to the shrine.

The loud wail however wakes up two of the three remaining party members. The pragmatic half-elf sorceress/warlock starts to take stock, but the eladrin bard, well aware of the sounds horrors make in the feywild, bolts up with a cry of "Banshee!" and rushed out. (Player completely guessed, and was right. This is her first D&D campaign, but she's into the fae predating it.)

She had sung in the camp earlier and knew the accoustics, and in trying to figure out where the wail came from I let her roll Performance. She nailed it and continued her dash, getting near the mouth of the cave just as a spectral hunting spider pulled itself from the stone to block her entrance. (Pretty much straight Specter, just reskinned and changed from 50' fly to 40' move and climb.)

The sorceress wakes the dragonborn, sees the note and reads it, and follows, but is behind due to not dashing.

Jumping a little further head the drow rogue has dropped and failed a death save, the dragons are making theirs, the eladrin bard took an opportunity attack from the spectral spider to get in, losing about 1/3 of her max HPs but being able to chase off the Banshee for a round (through a wall) with Dissonant Whispers upcast to 3rd level. The sorlock can decimated one of the spiders with a crit from a shadow blade and green flame blade combo*, and the reckless attacking, great weapon mastery barbarian eliminated the other.

(* We are explicitly allowing Shadow Blade to work, even though the material component of GFB is now a weapon worth at last 1 sp.)

The sorlock rushes in, after the second failed death save by the drow the glamour bard gives them a healing potion and then triggers Mantle of Inspiration to give everyone temp HP and some move. Then the banshee drops the disguise and show's it's horrifying visage to everyone but the dragonborn to chase them out.

Everyone saves.

More combat, and it's wail has recharged. At this point most make their save and I roll below average instead of above. In response to the wail the bard does another Dissonant Whispers, and another failed save takes the last of hit's HPs as it dissipates.

Multiple people/dragons down, max HPs drained, and spells used. They finish up the long rest and search the bodies, at which point the drow rogue recognizes one of the more recent corpses as one of the older boys who also didn't fit in in drow society - actually tried to protect the PC when they were little, but disappeared a few years ago. Looks like they too escaped the underdark and were called to Elistraee.

(This seems to be a not-unknown occurrence in the world - there has already been an attempt to capture the PC by a young drow bounty hunter and his pack of Death Dogs previously.)

The next day they push on. The normally oblivious dragonborn is the only one to notice a yeti ambush, and far enough away that they can detour and find another. The drow becomes exhausted and their load goes to the dragonborn who is now making CON (athletics) rolls for long term exhaustion at a higher DC than everyone else, but managing them, when they finally get to the peak at it is the last bit of the mountain still bathed in sunlight.

Only to find just a few foundation stones and nothing.

They collapse at the top, watch a truly magnificent sunset from above the cloud layer. The dragonborn tribe's culture has climbing peaks at certain life stages for ceremonis, and he's been preparing for one for over a week in game, granting a specific rank of hunter on the bronze wyrmling, Bali, who had been the best at learning hunting from him. (The wyrmlings were near feral and didn't talk when rescued.) Player had written a whole ceremony he talked out, and both myself as DM and the other players were taken by surprise. It was really cool.

When the moon rises, an aurora forms in the sky and a tower made of moonlight forms around the foundational stones. They ascend a spiral stair inside for an indeterminate amount of time and arrive at the top where an old half drow man greets them patiently.

"I am Aelar, I have dreamed of many things, and you are among them. You must have many questions."

And that's where we'll pick up next session.

teitan

Legend
It went really well considering I prepared NOTHING beforehand. I had a general idea in mind but two hours before session my wife informed me that her friend was joining us but don't worry she will just use her character from the other campaign she is in... I run a Theros campaign. She has a Tiefling Cleric with no god (somehow). She also had 3 18s, a 16, a 15 and a 14. So no, new character at which point she made a Leonin Iconoclast cleric because she wanted to worship herself to get her power. OK, cool in any other setting really but Theros is literally about the gods and so she made a cleric of Keranos with the Inscrutable divine gift. Also told my wife she should have mentioned it the day before so I could plan how to bring her in more easily!

SO I did it as she was part of an adventuring party that was attacked by a Gorgon so the party who is level 4... proceeded to annihilate the Gorgon! The campaign villain is Phenax as well as Athreos. The campaign is about collecting the Athrean OBols, magical coins Athreos used to pay his way into godhood basically. They are heading into a Temple of Phenax to collect their first Obol so I have been throwing out a bunch of illusion and deceitful stuff. I decided on the spot that they would come across what looked like a small village in the distance about 2 miles but it was an optical illusion and it was an actual small village with three Eidolons building the houses and other buildings in a near mindless state. It was also protected by a handful of Returned. In the small town was a temple of Phenax that they had to figure out how to shrink into so after a little bit I had one of them trigger a trap that shrunk them so they could get in. Two were not wanting to do it and wound up getting ambushed by two of the Returned. This was just to help keep them busy in case the others were going to go into the main part of the temple and go down the stairs into the underground part of the temple. They defeated the Returned and then decided to also shrink down, after some convincing, and we ended with them going into the underground temple.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
We prevented an undead lycanthropic plague from breaking out in the city, all while most of the party was still thoroughly sloshed after a wild celebration over our previous mission.

Patient zero was... a chicken.

The rogue (in the infinite wisdom brought on by being under the influence) decided that the best solution to the problem was to engage the chicken in a contest of strength. The chicken won and the rogue then had to flee down Main Street, throwing daggers at the pursuing (and very enraged) avian.

The bard (total lightweight) spent the entire session hungover, which was only made worse at one point when he tried to cast detect thoughts in a room full of people who were all just as hungover as he was. His migraine led to him cussing out the chicken most viciously when he caught up to the rogue being chased by it.

Thankfully, the rogue and bard managed to kill the creature.

I fell off the castle wall chasing after the evil archdruid who engineered the whole situation. My character had drunk a staggering amount of beer just a couple of hours prior in-game. I killed the guy, but the barbarian (teetotaler) had to carry me back inside because my arms and legs gave out on me right after that.

Yeah, it was a fun session.

Blue

Patient zero was... a chicken.

The rogue (in the infinite wisdom brought on by being under the influence) decided that the best solution to the problem was to engage the chicken in a contest of strength. The chicken won and the rogue then had to flee down Main Street, throwing daggers at the pursuing (and very enraged) avian.
chicken.png

Democratus

Adventurer
Last session was pretty good. The entire group was in costume and we played in a recreation of the Prancing Pony that one of the players had built into the back of their house.

Before the game was combat practice for Medieval European Martial Arts and afterwords a fire-cooked meal served on wooden plates.

There was a bit of immersion, to say the least. ;)

Attachments

• DND_ME.jpeg
    DND_ME.jpeg
    194.1 KB · Views: 73

jasper

Rotten DM
What we have is a failure to communicate. It seem every player I had some miscommunication issues with during the night. Be is how a spell works. Why someone was stuck out of combat. Or even a flavor scene I put in to forecast the results of a disease. I had trouble communicating with each player at least once.

Zardnaar

Legend
Doing a Drow campaign using City of the Spider Queen as a basis.

Good aligned Drow serving Elistraee.

They left Szith Morcane and reached the Stone Giant settlement beside the lake of shadows.

Revealing they served Elistraee combined with a high diplomacy roll got them passage.

They also encountered a surface Elf and healed them.

Two encounters in the way to the Stone Giants as well. Sone quth-maren and a Drow silverwight of a priestess of Kiransalee.

Remove ads