D&D General How Was Your Last Session?

Zardnaar

Legend
Well they defeated Glourath the Shadow Dragon at the wailing cliffs and reached Vournaths Mire now inhabited by a Drow Druid of Grumbar.

He wanted them to deal with some mind flayers. They turned him down and pushed on towards Maerimydra.

They'll arrive next session but might have to take a break next week. Had around 26 people this week in 4 groups.

Picked up Candle keep book.

jasper

Rotten DM
IT blew. Due to personal problems I can attend the Tuesday group. I was going show up in person and tell them. But most of them cancelled. I did give the new DM a copy of Descent and gave him a hug.

22nd session in my Dragon Heist/Deck of Many Things mashup. Three PCs of 5th level.

They are at Thornhold, the fortress north of Waterdeep controlled by the noble Margaster family. Lord Margaster possesses the power of Siamorphe, a demigod who embodies the divine right to rule. Margaster hopes to collect all the cards from the Deck of Many Things and use the fortune it will unlock to become the next Open Lord of Waterdeep. The PCs are trying to stop him.

This session started with the PCs trapped in a treasure vault below Thornhold. The doors were locked and the room was flooding with sea water. There was also a CR 3 Water Weird trying to kill them all. The Water Weird attacked the PC halfling rogue that was attempting to unlock the door. Meanwhile, the orc fighter and half-elf wizard discovered a mechanism in the room that controlled the trap. Eventually, the PCs destroyed the Weird and neutralized the trap. It was a solid encounter.

Listening at the door, the PCs could hear the orcs that controlled the dungeons of Thornhold gathering. They reactivated the trap to fill up the room again. Then they opened the door and the surging water knocked the orcs off their feet. A fireball by the wizard and some clean up from the fighter and rogue wiped out a dozen orcs in a single turn. The dead orcs were the last survivors of the tribe that the fighter is descended from. Unfortunately, he never figured that out. I had prepared a roleplaying encounter under the assumption that the PCs would attempt to parlay with the orcs. But they decided to shoot first and ask questions later. Oh, well.

From there, the PCs snuck up to the main floor of Thornhold. The fortress was abuzz with activity as Lord Margaster's arrival from Waterdeep is imminent. The PCs kidnapped a priest of Siamorphe in hopes of learning more and potentially disguising themselves as occupants of Thornhold. It was a short session so we ended there.

Next session: Lord Margaster arrives!

Final game in my campaign that ran from May 2017 to March 2021. 122 sessions. Five players. 20th level player characters, 7 epic boons each, with 575,000xp earned.

In the finale, the PCs faced off against Tiamat, who had killed Bahamut, absorbed his divine portfolio, and was attempting to conquer the heavenly plane of Celestia. On the material plane, the metallic dragons were now under her control. Many good gods and their followers fought back, but Tiamat had the advantage.

These were the PCs at the start of the battle:
  • The aasimar vengeance paladin had ascended into the new incarnation of Ilmater, replacing his patron as the god of suffering.
  • The elf arcane trickster rogue had been revealed as the mortal incarnation of Erevan Ilesere, elven god of trickery, who had been nearly destroyed by Tiamat when he was caught looting her hoard.
  • The tiefling shadow sorcerer had defeated her mother, Glasya, archdevil of the sixth layer of Hell. She now ruled that layer and held Glasya's soul captive.
  • The half-elf whispers bard had freed his soul from the clutches of Glasya and was now the ruler of Avernus, the first layer of Hell.
  • The halfling lore bard was Open Lord of Waterdeep.
  • The human beast master ranger wielded the Sword of Io, the legendary blade that killed the original god of dragons and created Bahamut and Tiamat. With its power, he could destroy Tiamat forever and bring Bahamut back from the dead. Or claim their power for himself.
  • An ancient silver dragon, who was an exarch of Bahamut and the mother of the ranger.
  • Glaysa, archdevil, former ruler of the sixth layer of Hell, and mother to the sorcerer.
(Yes, that's more than five PCs. Events had conspired to give the players control of several NPCs.)

My intent for the battle was to make it short but exciting. High level combat was seeming a little bit of a grind...and the previous session had a large number of emotional beats that resolved most of the ongoing storylines. So while this was the climactic fight it was also a bit of a coda. It was the place where the PCs could definitively establish the awesome might they now wielded.

As war raged in heaven, the PCs made their move. I described Tiamat as a capital ship in a Star Wars space battle -- a colossal figure surrounded by countless life and death fights. Tiamat was aided by a cadre of metallic dragons that had fallen under her thrall since the death of Bahamut.

I had granted Tiamat quintuple hit points. Each set of hit points represented one of her heads. Eliminate those hit points and she lost a head, lost the corresponding resistance, and lost that head's reaction/attack. Tiamat hit like a Mack truck but the PCs had so many epic boons, class features, and magical artifacts that they were able to recover. Watching her heads get destroyed one by one by one was very satisfying.

I had given the ranger the Sword of Io in hopes it would help him be the hero of this battle. While he was very tanky, he lacked the offensive output of the paladin, and I could tell he often felt overshadowed. So I gave the sword every conceivable advantage possible against Tiamat: +3 vorpal weapon, advantage on every attack, crit on a 19-20, automatic maximum damage on each hit. Yet the poor ranger could not roll above a 15. It was pathetic.

Meanwhile, the ranger and paladin combined their powers to resurrect Bahamut. And once the last legendary of resistance Tiamat was expended, the sorcerer plane shifted her to the sixth layer of Hell. The tide had definitively turned against Tiamat.

Finally, when only the red head of Tiamat remained, the ranger rolled a 19. In fact, he rolled two of them! On his last swing of the campaign he cut off Tiamat's remaining head and killed the evil goddess for all eternity.

The ranger felt the power of Tiamat flowing into him. He had the choice to become the new god of evil dragons. Or perhaps even destroy Bahamut and become the god of all dragons. Instead, he passed the power into Bahamut. With the combined power of both dragon gods, Bahamut morphed into the original god of dragons, Io.

Bahamut had been slain by Glasya and Tiamat had been betrayed by her. Io, combining aspects of both dragon gods, wanted revenge. The sorcerer handed her mother over to the dragon god, who flew out of Hell with the screaming archdevil clutched in its claws.

In the aftermath of the battle, I asked the players to narrate the ultimate fate of their characters.
  • The lore bard established a democratic process in Waterdeep, resigned the Open Lordship, and when he died decades later was welcomed into the afterlife by the vengeance paladin.
  • The rogue continued to live as a mortal in Silverymoon while raising his child, the product of his union with Glasya.
  • The sorceress plotted the conquest of Hell from her throne in the sixth layer.
  • The whispers bard ruled the first layer of Hell but eventually screwed it up.
  • The ranger lived in peace and raised a family...until the vengeance paladin came calling for one more adventure.
Upon reflection, the campaign was pretty great. It wasn't perfect. There's a lot I would have done differently in retrospect. But I learned so much and had so much fun. It definitely feels like a major life achievement. I've been a little bit melancholy since it ended.

Next up, we're going to dabble for a while. Another player will GM some Star Wars d6. I want to play around with Marvel Heroic and Nights Black Agents. And then I'd like to try some shorter campaigns of 13th Age and Shadow of the Demon Lord before returning to 5th Edition.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Fun AF!

We left off the last session out in front of the harvest goddess temple gates . Deciding to not smash their way in, Nora and Rollo (the ranger/sorcerer and the barbarian) decide to search around the perimeter of the outer wall, while Thron (druid) and Alston (gnome bard/wizard) rang the bell and spoke with the priestess who came to the gate. She said no one could come in before the weekly prayer day (five days away) but then suggested something weird was going on and whispered she'd make sure the gate was open for them at midnight. She suggested they should keep a low profile in the meantime and when coming back.

The party headed back to the Windfellow Farm barn to rest and talk to their "Nancy Drew- wannabe" teenaged friend but along the way saw activity at the prefect's house. It seemed the prefect had returned from his "religious retreat" with several armed guards in tow, along with one of his daughters. They'd later find out - at the town meeting - that he was establishing a new bailiff and claimed he had sent the constable and deputies that the PCs had killed two sessions ago. He gave a warning against such brigands who'd pose as helpful adventurers and intimated that he had sent to the capital for help from a marshal. Adding that he knew who they were, and while doughty warriors, justice would find them.

The prefect also announced that his former bodyguard, Traver Stoutheart (the dwarf who the PCs had met earlier looking for his master) had been arrested for conspiring against the prefect and helping the constable's murderers.

The PCs considered going up to the prefect and simply admitting they were the ones who killed the constable and that it was a misunderstanding, but when Alston used his detect thoughts spell on the prefect the only thoughts he heard were "I AM IN THE LOAF. I AM OF THE LOAF. THE LOAF IS ME. WE ARE THE LOAF." and so on. . . This was also the case for all the guards and even the dwarf. Deciding there was no chance of reasoning with them, they went back to the barn to wait for midnight.

Arriving at the temple in the night, they were let in through the gates and into the temple itself. Mistress Misha asked that they leave their weapons on the rack in the antechamber, as no weapons may be brought over the threshold out of respect for her goddess. As a show of good faith, she put her own mace on the rack. Three of the PCs agree, though the druid feigned a limp and kept his staff. Rollo, however, said he was not much a talker anyway, so out of respect for his own belief would wait in the antechamber with his great axe.

Well, it was an ambush. Hobgoblin mercenaries appeared from behind the central chamber's pillars and two more emerged from doors on either side. The priestess also attacked. It was a tough fight but once again Alston led the carnage with his heat metal spell, even though arrow after arrow struck him trying to kill him and/or break his concentration. Rollo was especially happy to finally get some enemies properly lined up to use his javelin of lightning, but better yet, when the bolt of lightning struck the mosaic behind the altar and revealed a hidden troglodyte camouflaged against it. It was nearly killed, but this drove it and three other trogs to action! When their puckered sores wept, a foul stench filled the room and Rollo recognized it. The mushrooms he had eaten when hanging out with the Loafers, it had been grown in dung. Dung that reminded him of the stench of these creatures. OH MY GOD! HE HAD EATEN MUSHROOMS GROWN IN TROGLODYTE DUNG! :ROFLMAO:

The initial trog would get away, but the rest were killed, as were the hobgoblins. The defeated priestess got a natural 20 on her death save and tried to sneak away, but got spotted and they stopped her. She nearly died again, but they bound her wounds and slapped manacles on her.

The party had barely gathered their wits when four monks burst into the chamber and attacked. There was another tough fight.

After this they searched the rest of the temple ground floor and found several ways to the lower level and made their way down a rough hewn stairway dug out of the earth beneath the temple. In another network of rooms they stumbled upon a group of zombie caravan guards, still in tattered tabards. We called the session when that fight ended.

Oh and in the quarters of the priestess they found a letter from someone named "Saul" (which I have attached) which Thron recognized as being in the handwriting of his estranged husband, Bob (as Saul is his real name).

saul-letter.jpg

Last edited:

ericstephen

Villager
Final game in my campaign that ran from May 2017 to March 2021. 122 sessions. Five players. 20th level player characters, 7 epic boons each, with 575,000xp earned.

In the finale, the PCs faced off against Tiamat, who had killed Bahamut, absorbed his divine portfolio, and was attempting to conquer the heavenly plane of Celestia. On the material plane, the metallic dragons were now under her control. Many good gods and their followers fought back, but Tiamat had the advantage.

These were the PCs at the start of the battle:
  • The aasimar vengeance paladin had ascended into the new incarnation of Ilmater, replacing his patron as the god of suffering.
  • The elf arcane trickster rogue had been revealed as the mortal incarnation of Erevan Ilesere, elven god of trickery, who had been nearly destroyed by Tiamat when he was caught looting her hoard.
  • The tiefling shadow sorcerer had defeated her mother, Glasya, archdevil of the sixth layer of Hell. She now ruled that layer and held Glasya's soul captive.
  • The half-elf whispers bard had freed his soul from the clutches of Glasya and was now the ruler of Avernus, the first layer of Hell.
  • The halfling lore bard was Open Lord of Waterdeep.
  • The human beast master ranger wielded the Sword of Io, the legendary blade that killed the original god of dragons and created Bahamut and Tiamat. With its power, he could destroy Tiamat forever and bring Bahamut back from the dead. Or claim their power for himself.
  • An ancient silver dragon, who was an exarch of Bahamut and the mother of the ranger.
  • Glaysa, archdevil, former ruler of the sixth layer of Hell, and mother to the sorcerer.
(Yes, that's more than five PCs. Events had conspired to give the players control of several NPCs.)

My intent for the battle was to make it short but exciting. High level combat was seeming a little bit of a grind...and the previous session had a large number of emotional beats that resolved most of the ongoing storylines. So while this was the climactic fight it was also a bit of a coda. It was the place where the PCs could definitively establish the awesome might they now wielded.

As war raged in heaven, the PCs made their move. I described Tiamat as a capital ship in a Star Wars space battle -- a colossal figure surrounded by countless life and death fights. Tiamat was aided by a cadre of metallic dragons that had fallen under her thrall since the death of Bahamut.

I had granted Tiamat quintuple hit points. Each set of hit points represented one of her heads. Eliminate those hit points and she lost a head, lost the corresponding resistance, and lost that head's reaction/attack. Tiamat hit like a Mack truck but the PCs had so many epic boons, class features, and magical artifacts that they were able to recover. Watching her heads get destroyed one by one by one was very satisfying.

I had given the ranger the Sword of Io in hopes it would help him be the hero of this battle. While he was very tanky, he lacked the offensive output of the paladin, and I could tell he often felt overshadowed. So I gave the sword every conceivable advantage possible against Tiamat: +3 vorpal weapon, advantage on every attack, crit on a 19-20, automatic maximum damage on each hit. Yet the poor ranger could not roll above a 15. It was pathetic.

Meanwhile, the ranger and paladin combined their powers to resurrect Bahamut. And once the last legendary of resistance Tiamat was expended, the sorcerer plane shifted her to the sixth layer of Hell. The tide had definitively turned against Tiamat.

Finally, when only the red head of Tiamat remained, the ranger rolled a 19. In fact, he rolled two of them! On his last swing of the campaign he cut off Tiamat's remaining head and killed the evil goddess for all eternity.

The ranger felt the power of Tiamat flowing into him. He had the choice to become the new god of evil dragons. Or perhaps even destroy Bahamut and become the god of all dragons. Instead, he passed the power into Bahamut. With the combined power of both dragon gods, Bahamut morphed into the original god of dragons, Io.

Bahamut had been slain by Glasya and Tiamat had been betrayed by her. Io, combining aspects of both dragon gods, wanted revenge. The sorcerer handed her mother over to the dragon god, who flew out of Hell with the screaming archdevil clutched in its claws.

In the aftermath of the battle, I asked the players to narrate the ultimate fate of their characters.
  • The lore bard established a democratic process in Waterdeep, resigned the Open Lordship, and when he died decades later was welcomed into the afterlife by the vengeance paladin.
  • The rogue continued to live as a mortal in Silverymoon while raising his child, the product of his union with Glasya.
  • The sorceress plotted the conquest of Hell from her throne in the sixth layer.
  • The whispers bard ruled the first layer of Hell but eventually screwed it up.
  • The ranger lived in peace and raised a family...until the vengeance paladin came calling for one more adventure.
Upon reflection, the campaign was pretty great. It wasn't perfect. There's a lot I would have done differently in retrospect. But I learned so much and had so much fun. It definitely feels like a major life achievement. I've been a little bit melancholy since it ended.

Next up, we're going to dabble for a while. Another player will GM some Star Wars d6. I want to play around with Marvel Heroic and Nights Black Agents. And then I'd like to try some shorter campaigns of 13th Age and Shadow of the Demon Lord before returning to 5th Edition.
Sounds quite epic and cool that the Ranger could get that final shot.

So, for Crits I use (max die damage)+(roll+mods). This will be important.
Today, four PCs in Thundertree decide to go against Venomfang. Two go as emissaries, two sneak up to the roof. While the emissaries are blowing smoke up his scaly ass, the two above strike!
Monk attacks twice, Arcane Trickster casts Chromatic Orb.
Next round, all go, Venomfang first. Breath weapon on the two in the room; both make their save and they’ve drunk potions of poison resistance. 10hp damage each. Now back to the party.
Monk attacks again but misses twice! Decides not to use bonus action punch as he incorrectly believes he needs his magic weapon to hit it!
Arcane Trickster casts Burning Hands, some damage but not a ton.
Now it’s the two downstairs, their first goes since the start and after getting poison breathed...
Ranger is all ready to go with his new scimitar of sharpness, just hoping for that sweet dismembering on a natural 20...but the cleric goes first.
“I cast Inflict Wounds at level 3”.
Misses.
Spends Inspiration to reroll.
Natural 20.
Venomfang at this point is on 80 hit points.
Crit rules. Max damage +(roll+mods).
Level 3 is 5d10.
50 straight off the bat. Cleric rolls another 32.
82 damage in one round.
Venomfang is dead.
Ranger replaces his not even half drawn scimitar in its sheath.
One round. And not even all of the PCs got to go.
Wow!
Their first dragon fight.
They are gonna be soooo cocky next time, when it’ll not be a young dragon they face...

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Crit rules. Max damage +(roll+mods).
Level 3 is 5d10.
50 straight off the bat. Cleric rolls another 32.
82 damage in one round.
Wow, that's really a swing between spells with attack rolls and spells with saves. Or do you do something like a 1 on a save is max damage?

Oh do you know, I’ve never thought of Crits for save-spells. I guess a Nat 1 would qualify.
I always check with my table if they’re happy to use my crit system because it applies to the monsters too!
A lot of save-spells could theoretically include a crit fail = max damage, I guess.
Hmm. Thinking.

Remove ads