D&D General How Was Your Last Session?

Richards

Legend
Tonight's session got suddenly canceled at the last minute - the college-age son of two of our players (the son was a former player in our campaigns as well until he moved away to a town 45 minutes from ours a couple years back) broke his leg and was going into emergency surgery. I'll get the details from his father at work tomorrow, but in the meantime tonight's session will be postponed until next Wednesday.

So our next gaming session will be this Saturday, in our other campaign. (I DM our Saturday campaign and my youngest son DMs our Wednesday night campaign. The other family games with us in both campaigns.)

Johnathan

Greenfield

Adventurer
I have a major weakness as a DM: I'm not very good at planning combats.

Current campaign is D&D 3.5, and I'm currently DM (We pass the duty around, and it's my turn).

I've a little background in live theater, and I love the Role-playing part of the game, so all too often my games turn into a semi-soap opera, with plot puzzles and personality issues between characters and "important people" in the game world.

In our game world there's a plague. I swear, we started this well before Covid came along, but like it or not it's the major problem in the game world.

The city of Seacrest is in trouble, a major outbreak and the city literally closed: Plague flags at the ports warning off ships, and all the gates sealed. Foodstuffs can come in, but it's an airlock kind of deal: Farmers get paid and leave their wagons outside. People from inside come out and get the wagons. Empty wagons, scrubbed and cleaned, are left outside later.

As is often the way, PCs have business in the city. They're on good terms with the young Duke (his father died in a pirate raid on the city), having helped him resolve a few small rebellions.

Okay, they weren't really rebellions. One was a group of pirates that had taken up residence in a border area military port that had been abandoned. The Duke hadn't had the troops or ships to take them head on, in their very defensible base, so the party went in to negotiate. Long story short, pardons were offered by the new Duke, and were accepted, approved by the King.

Another military base, a fortress in the northern mountains, controls a key pass, and thus trade with the north. Things didn't go quite so smoothly there. The man in charge doesn't trust the Duke.

Party used Scry and Divination to find out who had killed the fort commander's brother, a key factor in his rebellion. They had just captured a lot of men who tried to raid the town again, when it was weak. That was the same modus operandi of the last raid, timed to hit while the plague was running rampant.

They found that the captain of the ship where the commander's brother was killed was the "Commodore" (i.e. the now-pardoned pirate captain mentioned earlier.)

They're still trying to find a way to crowbar this situation into something they can use: They can't invite the northern commander to oversee the Commodor's execution because he can't be executed for his past crimes. He has a full pardon and is now in command of a part of the Ducal fleet, while the northern commander is still, technically an outlaw.

I'm thinking I need a nice combat-type encounter to shake them out of that fixation.

Party is six or seven PCs, 12th level or so, so swarming them with pirates, bandits, Rogues etc just doesn't work. They're head and shoulders above any mundane troops any government or rebel group can bring to bear.

I need to rationalize how/why they could encounter a group that can actually challenge them. Then, of course, I have to come up with such a group.

After that, actually running the scene is easy.

Richards

Legend
Tonight's session got suddenly canceled at the last minute - the college-age son of two of our players (the son was a former player in our campaigns as well until he moved away to a town 45 minutes from ours a couple years back) broke his leg and was going into emergency surgery. I'll get the details from his father at work tomorrow, but in the meantime tonight's session will be postponed until next Wednesday.

So our next gaming session will be this Saturday, in our other campaign. (I DM our Saturday campaign and my youngest son DMs our Wednesday night campaign. The other family games with us in both campaigns.)

Johnathan
Update: the son broke both leg bones just above the ankle after taking a fall from a longboard. (Apparently his entire foot was turned around - not good!) And since his bedroom in the apartment house he shares with two roommates is in the basement (down two flights of 7 stairs each), his parents took him back home to their place yesterday where he can heal up for the first week. So they've canceled tomorrow's game session and I would be very surprised if they don't cancel next Wednesday's game session as well, given when they drive him home on Wednesday (as planned) it likely won't be until after the dad gets off of work. So our next session will likely be on Saturday, 31 July.

Bummer, but I can't argue the priorities. The game will still be there when we're all available. And I'll take dealing with a postponed couple of sessions over a double-broken leg any day.

Johnathan

After a random encounter coincided with Tiamat's Vengeance Day, resulting in a massacre and all the Dragon cultists fleeing, our game was upended last session. This session, after preparing for the team to follow the fleeing cultists (once the guard let them go), they instead decided to ride straight to Waterdeep and wait for the cultists there.

The guard captain was one of the contestants at the tournament they competed in a couple of months ago, so he recognized the heroes. Although hesitant to trust him at first, they decided to tell him how they knew about the cultists when nobody else did. He decided to let them go, but not the rest of the wagon train, just in case not all of the cultists fled, so they are able to get a decent head start.

Also, the half-orc talked him into paying them for any information they dug up about the cultists, so now they have two people paying them for the same info.

Along the road, they picked up our newest player, who just happened to be a cousin to the first group of captives we saved way back at the dragon caves. (Unlike the guard captain, I didn't plan this. As I was looking through previously known NPC's, though, for the guard captain, I saw that their last names were the same, so I decided to tie them together.)

This was the longest session we've been able to play in a while, now that our ADD player left (not that it was his fault -- ADD is ADD), and it made a huge improvement on how everybody felt during the session.

26th-ish session of my Neverwinter campaign. Currently at three players: half-orc vengeance paladin, drow evocation wizard, human genie warlock. We're going to add a fourth player in the coming weeks. Characters are 5th level going on 6th.

This short session was a transition episode as the PCs left Phandalin -- where their adventures had started -- and travelled to Neverwinter by foot. Several days into the journey they came across a campsite that had been attacked. A dozen men wearing the livery of Waterdeep were dead, apparently ambushed the previous night. A cave bear threatened the sole survivor.

The paladin shouted and the bear charged. Then two hill giants emerged from hiding atop the surrounding bluffs. A trap! The giants rained boulders down on the paladin and warlock. The wizard dropped a fireball on one giant and then trapped it in a sphere of magical darkness. The warlock unleashed a fireball of her own. The paladin clambered up the bluff to smite the other giants. A few rounds later, the giants and their pet cave bear were dead.

(I'm planting the seeds for an eventual adventure in Grudd Haug, the hill giant stronghold from Storm King's Thunder.)

The warlock was surprised to discover that the survivor was one of her relatives. Her background is a Waterdhavian noble. She's left her family behind and is now a thief in Neverwinter who steals from the rich. I kicked it over to her to decide who the relative was...and she decided he's a slimy ne'er-do-well cousin named Chadian. Then it was my turn. Chad's antics have caused the family to threaten disinheritance. To get back on the family's good side, he's been sent to Neverwinter to establish an alliance with that city's Queen...and to arrange a marriage for the warlock.

The warlock didn't like the sound of that. So she bargained. What would it take to get Chad in her pocket? He agreed to help her case the estates of Neverwinter's nobility in return for 10% of the take, which should grant him financial independence.

What could possibly go wrong?

Next session: The PCs arrive in Neverwinter!

HaroldTheHobbit

Adventurer
My current campaign is set in a modded FR, where psionics hasn't worked for 400 years. It's on the rise again though as Orcus and Ilsensine has made a pact, masterminded on the material plane by an undead elder brain nesting in a hollow asteroid in wildspace. The Zhentarim are spreading and selling a new drug, secretly produced by a Zhent region wizard in league with the Illithids. Unknown to the Zhent the drug is slowly eroding the users psyche, sending it to Alhoon-controlled psychic batteries in The Spine of the World for transport via Spelljammer to the elder brain.

Anyway. My players have been noodling around Secomber for 20-ish sessions, doing side stuff and Miami Vice:ing their way towards a local Zhent drug lord that finally got caught last session. Since my players still was in no hurry I had to move stuff this session. So, I let mind controlled Bulettes raze part of the Secomber Garrisson at night as a diversion while the drug lord was freed, right after the party was attacked by Shadow Assassins in their room at The Knee. In the aftermath a Squid Ship was seen against the starlit sky traveling north. That got the players finally packing and moving towards Waterdeep to do some research.

My aim for this campaign was to let the players re-discover Spelljamming for some space action. But as my table as usual are taking their time and enjoying their roleplaying it will be a very long time before they (hopefully) leave Toril. Never the less, much fun is had and all is well.

Norton

Explorer
I messed up and introduced an element designed to lure the PCs to an NPC that I wasn't planning on introducing until later. Now I have to find a way to finesse them away from aforementioned elaborately described and slightly home-brewed element. Being that it's a scrying orb with a save they all willingly failed based on a recommendation from an NPC traveling with the party and that appears to asking to be followed, and since they're in a canoe, I may just have them do athletics checks to try and keep up until it peters out after 10 minutes. It would eventually leave them a bit lost in the middle of a wide lagoon in The Mere and I'm hoping they won't find that too annoying. They've already had a number of encounters and are chomping (champing?) to get to their destination.

Pretty good but short. There are dangers with incorporating 1 PC into the main story too much even if all players agree to the idea in session 0. 1 player who was linked to the main story could not make it meaning when the rest of the party got to the point were advancing the story would be awkward with out him we called it for the night. If you are going to make a plot around a specific blood line of one of the PCs, probably make 2 of the players family members so you can progress even when one is absent.

Other then that we had a solid combat and a bit of exploration. I have a hard time tempting my PCs with magic gear. There was a shop selling magic items made from necromancy, such as unliving leather armor and an undead insect monster turned into an acid thrower, and the only one player showed any interest in any of it. I even had a remote control mummy you could transfer your own mind into, no body was interested.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Haven't played in August. Was supposed to run finally yesterday - and two players had forgotten about our "we're all back and playing" date and couldn't make it.

(Among my players in that group are two couples - so if we're down, we're usually down two and we don't play down two.)

Remove ads