How we can let our on line friends know we are sick or dead....

ProfessorPain

First Post
This is an intesting topic. I have been on a few forums where members have died and their deaths were announced to the community. It is very strange, because you end up knowing so many more people online than you do in your regular life (There must be thousands of people I exchange posts with on sites like this), so there is high probability of a person you know in passing online dying or getting very ill. Really makes you more thoughtful about your own mortality.

RichCsigs

First Post
I have all my name's & passwords written down and hidden somewhere just for such an eventuality. Not only for online games, but for bill paying & e-mail accounts too. Only my brother knows where it is.

And yes, I trust him.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Good thinking, RichCsigs.

Generally and ideally speaking, you should have a "who to contact" list filed with your other important papers- wills, stock certificates, etc. If you want an extra bit of insurance, actually include it in printed form as part of your will, or on a videotape or computer disc to be viewed after your demise (perhaps kept in a safe or your lawyer's office).

If you're a site subscriber and you die, that website is technically a potential creditor of the estate, and would actually need to be notified of your passing...and possibly even reimbursed depending upon timing and your account setup. That doesn't mean, however, that they'd notify your online buddies.

If you have their email or RW addresses, then its not a big deal. If its on a password protected account, things get tougher- again RichCsigs basically did it right.

So, you need someone you trust to take care of that- either someone in their official capacity as your executor or someone with power of attorney, or someone in their unofficial capacity of Good Buddy.

Of course, here I am a lawyer, and I've done NONE of that- Do as I say, not as I do!

OTOH, perhaps some enterprising soul can set up a website, perhaps?

(Ebituaries.org already exists...sort of.)

Last edited:

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
If jaerdaph's Mandy ever posts here about my premature demise from Kuru, she's probably lying.

jaerdaph was eating human brains this weekend and now he's in an awful pickle!

Remove ads