Paizo How will OGL 1.1 affect Pazio, PF1 and P2?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Ballparking based on the "20/20/20/40" rule where you spend 20% on printing, 20% on distribution, and the store/ retailer gets 40% with the publisher getting 20% to offset costs. Because it's a good baseline. With a $50 book that's $10 to Paizo and $10 to the printer.
Again, as somebody who publishes books, I assure you that Paizo doesn’t pay $10 to print a book.

FormerLurker

Adventurer
Again, as somebody who publishes books, I assure you that Paizo doesn’t pay $10 to print a book.
That's nice.
But unless you're willing to add any information to the conversation, such as the actual cost of printing & shipping, then that doesn't really further the discussion. You're basically just saying "nuh-uh."

Lord Shark

Adventurer
They can't just sit around and burn money for six months or a year. Heck, they couldn't even stop selling PF1 books while building to PF2 and needed to sell playtests to recoup development costs.
While I agree with your larger point, this isn't correct. The PF2E playtest was free. They did print and sell some hardcover copies of the playtest rules, but those were aimed at collectors and completists; you didn't have to buy one to participate in the playtest. I seriously doubt they sold enough to cover anywhere near the development costs.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
So, I don't know if anyone else noticed this...

Back on Thursday, January 5th, I got an e-mail from Paizo, noting that the PDF of the core rulebook had been updated to the 4th printing.

The timing of that seems... very much a coincidence. Almost like Paizo going, "Hey, folks, download it now, just in case," or something.

Last edited:

Sonny

Adventurer

Back on Thursday, January 12th, I got an e-mail from Paizo, noting that the PDF of the core rulebook had been updated to the 4th printing.

The timing of that seems... very much a coincidence. Almost like Paizo going, "Hey, folks, download it now, just in case," or something.
That does seem a bit odd, and makes me wanna purchase a copy of their pdfs just in case.

Also, you're on the 12th already? Where do I get the 2023 fastpass at?

Back on Thursday, January 12th, I got an e-mail from Paizo, noting that the PDF of the core rulebook had been updated to the 4th printing.

Maybe, but they also put out a release about how they were going to do be doing errata more consistently than they have been in the past. Might be part of that? Also they did their whole ancestry boosts change recently.

Not that it couldn't be something more, but I get the feeling that it's probably coincidence.

Remove ads